Port of Montego Bay

happytovacation

I was concerned about going to Hip Strip, Margaritaville and Doctor's Cove Beach so I hired a private tour guide. But I was wondering if anyone has used the hop on and hop off bus that I hear they have. Is it safe and easy, are there many buses going and coming back from the places above. Any information would be helpful. Two females and child and can you see the ship from these places. I think I've asked enough questions right now.

In my personal opinion, Jamaica is unsafe, and I would never in a million years venture around without a cruise sponsored excursion. I know many people on here will disagree, and that's okay, as I said that is MY opinion. I've been there twice, and prefer to avoid Jamaica in my itineraries. My adult children have voiced the same concerns to me when they've stopped there on cruises.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Hop on Hop off bus wasn't running when we were there November 29th and December 6th.

We decided to get the $8 bus to town but then they start the spiel to get you to do a tour for $25. We ended up getting it for $20 but really it's pretty boring. We drove past the strip, some houses and through the town.

I think the cruise ships try to scare people so they will do the ship tours.

We went to Cuba and it was sad that people were to scared to get off the ship. I felt safe enough that I would have ventured out alone had my friend not wanted to go out the second day.

Jamaica is 'safe' if you use common sense. There are two factors of Jamaican culture that intimidate most American visitors.

- the Jamaican form of haggling or bartering over a business transaction, especially on the street, involves a lot of loud voices usually escalating to shouting and accompanied by arm waving and finger pointing and the occasional fist in the air. This is normal business practice! {Haiti too ... even louder!}

- Ganga is very very present ... you will smell it and do not be in the least surprised to be offered some for sale OR offered $$ to carry a package on the ship ... BAD IDEA .... I was once walking down a street in uniform and was offered grass to buy ..... duh! But note too that in most islands there are no "entrapment laws" so the police can offer you drugs and if you acknowledge them .... you're busted!

In either situation eye contact and a firm but nice "no thank you" is enough to turn off the 'seller' IME .... however if you try to be nice and examine the product you have begun negotiations so my recommendation is "no thank you" and KEEP MOVING.

Edited by Capt_BJ