Walking to Governer's Beach

Janie001

We will be in Grand Turk and would like to explore Governer's Beach to get away from the crowds a bit.

I understand you need to leave the cruise area and turn left on the road to get there. Is it just a straight walk at that point and is it obvious when you have arrived there (i.e. signpost)? My research so far indicates it might be about a 30 minute walk. If anyone has done this and has some advice it would be appreciated.

To return to the cruise area I was thinking we would walk back along the road to Jack's Shack and then cut through to the Beach. Would it be obvious from the Road where Jack's Shack is?

This is our first visit to Grand Turk and we would like to do the above as well as explore the port area and visit the Conch Graveyard. We are only in port from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. so hopefully this isn't too ambitious.

We will be in Grand Turk and would like to explore Governer's Beach to get away from the crowds a bit.

I understand you need to leave the cruise area and turn left on the road to get there. Is it just a straight walk at that point and is it obvious when you have arrived there (i.e. signpost)? My research so far indicates it might be about a 30 minute walk. If anyone has done this and has some advice it would be appreciated.

To return to the cruise area I was thinking we would walk back along the road to Jack's Shack and then cut through to the Beach. Would it be obvious from the Road where Jack's Shack is?

This is our first visit to Grand Turk and we would like to do the above as well as explore the port area and visit the Conch Graveyard. We are only in port from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. so hopefully this isn't too ambitious.

Jacks Shack is easy to find from the road but be warned, it's a dump from the road. Seriously, it doesn't even look safe. But once you walk around the building, it's a great place. Don't let the "front" side fool you.

Also since you're there a while, you may consider getting a golf cart. That way you can explore the entire island, eat, and get anywhere you want to go. Definitely worth the money

Jacks Shack is easy to find from the road but be warned, it's a dump from the road. Seriously, it doesn't even look safe. But once you walk around the building, it's a great place. Don't let the "front" side fool you.

Also since you're there a while, you may consider getting a golf cart. That way you can explore the entire island, eat, and get anywhere you want to go. Definitely worth the money

Thanks for this information. We did think about a golf cart as it seems like a fun way to get around, but because we only be using it for a couple of short drives I didn't think it would be worth it - seems to be around $90 - $100 plus gas based on what I have seen online. If our plans change and we want to go further afield it will definitely be something to consider.

Thanks for this information. We did think about a golf cart as it seems like a fun way to get around, but because we only be using it for a couple of short drives I didn't think it would be worth it - seems to be around $90 - $100 plus gas based on what I have seen online. If our plans change and we want to go further afield it will definitely be something to consider.

Yea it's $100 through Nathan's and Karib. If you go through Karib you don't have to fill it up, it's just a $6 gas fee they charge.

You honestly have a long time on the island, despite only being there a few hours. Grand Turk is very small, I think 9 miles long by 3 miles wide or something like that. You have time to drive all around the island several times. We were there last year for the same duration. We rode up to the lighthouse, the prison, the salinas and just rode around the island. We spent some time at the light house, then went and ate lunch at Jack's Shack and relaxed there a bit. We still had time to walk around the cruise port afterward and checked it out. Something to consider.

OK now I am Confused (very easy these days.) I thought Governors beach was directly next to the ship docking pier and Jacks Shack. So what beach is next to the pier and how far is Jacks Shack from the pier? Thanks for clearing my muddled brain.

OK now I am Confused (very easy these days.) I thought Governors beach was directly next to the ship docking pier and Jacks Shack. So what beach is next to the pier and how far is Jacks Shack from the pier? Thanks for clearing my muddled brain.

I don't know the name of the beach area that's right by the ship but it's not Governor's. Governor's is the one with the shipwreck run aground in the sand. And you can take a taxi or rent a golf cart. Jack's Shack is down further on the beach that's near the ship. If you are getting off the ship, go to your left along the beachfront and just keep walking. You'll run into it. You can also catch a taxi there or golf cart. Don't worry. GT is small. When you get off, there will be people to assist you. Your fellow cruisers are also great. They helped us find atvs the first time we went.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Yea it's $100 through Nathan's and Karib. If you go through Karib you don't have to fill it up, it's just a $6 gas fee they charge.

You honestly have a long time on the island, despite only being there a few hours. Grand Turk is very small, I think 9 miles long by 3 miles wide or something like that. You have time to drive all around the island several times. We were there last year for the same duration. We rode up to the lighthouse, the prison, the salinas and just rode around the island. We spent some time at the light house, then went and ate lunch at Jack's Shack and relaxed there a bit. We still had time to walk around the cruise port afterward and checked it out. Something to consider.

Ok, you are starting to sway me. Did you pre-book or walk up for the golf cart? If we could make it game day decision (dependent on heat and our level of enthusiasm for walking) that would be ideal.

Ok, you are starting to sway me. Did you pre-book or walk up for the golf cart? If we could make it game day decision (dependent on heat and our level of enthusiasm for walking) that would be ideal.

We reserved ours because we heard of people wanting to wing it and get one while they were there. I wanted to guarantee we had one. However when we got ours, there was another guy out there seeing if people wanted to get one. When we got there it was only our ship in port. However when we left, there were 2. I guess if you don't reserve, it's a gamble you take. We paid a $50 deposit and paid the other $30 or whatever it was when we got there.

We reserved ours because we heard of people wanting to wing it and get one while they were there. I wanted to guarantee we had one. However when we got ours, there was another guy out there seeing if people wanted to get one. When we got there it was only our ship in port. However when we left, there were 2. I guess if you don't reserve, it's a gamble you take. We paid a $50 deposit and paid the other $30 or whatever it was when we got there.

Great. We have two ships in that day but we are also the first arriving. We will take the chance. Thanks for your help!

People always seem to know how many ships are in Port how did you figure that out? Is there an easy way?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, if you just do an internet search on the country you are going to be in and search for the port schedule it will usually be in one of the first few suggested sites. You can then search by the month and date your ship will be in port.

• 4 weeks later...

We walked to Governor's Beach in November. It is super easy to do, the scenery along the road isn't pretty but there were 5 of us and saved us a ton of $ over a taxi. Definitely was worth doing, we had the beach to ourselves for the better half of the morning. Enjoy!

You can also walk 10 minutes to the right from the ship to get away from the crowds. No services but no crowds.

There's now a bar/café over there. Just past the John Glenn mock-up. Prices seemed reasonable on the menu boards and the food cooking smells were great. Wasn't crowded at all. Bathrooms are in a "bunker" in the hill side

We walked to Governor's Beach in November. It is super easy to do, the scenery along the road isn't pretty but there were 5 of us and saved us a ton of $ over a taxi. Definitely was worth doing, we had the beach to ourselves for the better half of the morning. Enjoy!

Quick question for you... when I do a google map search on walking from the cruise terminal to Governor's Beach it seems to map a route that takes you quite a bit out of the way instead of turning left on the first road on the map. Is there something I am missing? I am sure I am overthinking this and it will be completely obvious when we are there.

We used to go to Governor's Beach every time we were in GT. We would walk past Jacks Shack and turn right, walk behind the building to the road. It is not very nice and the road is kinda narrow. Just a short walk to Governor's Beach on the left. You can't get from Jack's to Governor's Beach by walking along the sand....if you could it would be super close.

All that said, the last time we were at GT we walked down and it was completely closed up. You can still sit on the sand but no rest rooms or snack bar. We were standing on the beach deciding what to do and 4 local men came walking on the beach. I'm sure they were fine but it made me VERY uncomfortable so I told hubby I wanted to leave. They kinda walked with us for alittle?! It was very creepy. I will not go back unless they have the facilities reopened.

The beach is AMAZING, it's a shame they don't reopen.

We used to go to Governor's Beach every time we were in GT. We would walk past Jacks Shack and turn right, walk behind the building to the road. It is not very nice and the road is kinda narrow. Just a short walk to Governor's Beach on the left. You can't get from Jack's to Governor's Beach by walking along the sand....if you could it would be super close.

All that said, the last time we were at GT we walked down and it was completely closed up. You can still sit on the sand but no rest rooms or snack bar. We were standing on the beach deciding what to do and 4 local men came walking on the beach. I'm sure they were fine but it made me VERY uncomfortable so I told hubby I wanted to leave. They kinda walked with us for alittle?! It was very creepy. I will not go back unless they have the facilities reopened.

The beach is AMAZING, it's a shame they don't reopen.

Thanks for the tips!

We walked to Governor's Beach last June and regretted not taking a taxi. It was hot and uncomfortable, and we stepped in wet concrete and got all dirty. Next time we will grab a taxi. But the snorkeling wasn't that great there either, so this July we are going to try the Baoba? Rock Point in the other direction.

We walked to Governor's Beach last June and regretted not taking a taxi. It was hot and uncomfortable, and we stepped in wet concrete and got all dirty. Next time we will grab a taxi. But the snorkeling wasn't that great there either, so this July we are going to try the Baoba? Rock Point in the other direction.

There's nothing down at Boaby Point facilities wise! Some snorkeling but at times water can be a bit rough. Some conch shells discarded by local restaurants. Nice walk though. And if it's hot at Governors Beach, it'll be hot at Boaby Point.