Sydney Hotel Suggestions

bconley351

We will be going on a Princess (basically New Zealand) cruise out of Sydney in Jan 2016. I'm not totally sure which cruise terminal Princess uses. We plan on flying in 2/3 nights prior to boarding and doing a whirlwind Tripadvisor suggested sightseeing tour of Sydney. We won't have a car so we will need to use public transportation from airport-hotel, and hotel-cruise terminal, as well as to get around Sydney. Is there a suggested area to look for a hotel that would be convenient for our transport needs? I might throw out that when we do road trips in the U.S. we tend to use the Choice properties (Comfort Inn, Quality Inn), Best Western, and Holiday Inn Express. I'm saying those since it gives an idea of what price range we look for.

Also, what is the best mode of transportation for our sightseeing purposes?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad

The best location for accomodations in Sydney for sightseeing is the Circular Quay/The Rocks area. Other good areas would be the CBD or Darling Harbour.

Sydney is an easy place to get around on foot if you don't have any mobility issues and that's what I'd recommend. Otherwise, there is a hop on/hop off bus, but I have no knowledge about how good it is.

According to the Port Cruise schedule ,there are 2 Princess ships in Sydney Jan 2016.

Dawn Princess at the White Bay Cruise Terminal

Diamond Princess at the OPT (Overseas Passenger Terminal) Circular Quay.

If you are on the Diamond , go for the Holiday Inn , Old Sydney in the Rocks area. Sydney is at your feet as walk out the door and for boarding just trundle your luggage across the road . Easy Peasy.:):)

• 3 months later...

I see good reviews (and prices are OK) for The York by Swiss-Belhotel and also for The Sydney Boulevard Hotel. Have any of you stayed at either one of these? I see they are not close to each other - but both have reviews saying it is "close" to everything.

Comments? Ideas?

For sightseeing purposes, I find the most convenient hotels to be in the area of Circular Quay or The Rocks. (We have stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel near Circular Quay, the Bed and Breakfast Sydney Harbour in The Rocks and a couple of hotels at Darling Harbour.)

I have not stayed at either hotel you listed, but if they are equal in all other respects, book the York Hotel as it has the better location.

Edited by GradUT

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn, The Rocks.

They have a wonderful rooftop with pool and spa, but the best part about staying there was waking in the morning and being able to go to the rooftop to get a grand view of our cruise ship as she was docked. It just made it so exciting. :)

There are 2 good Holiday Inns in Sydney.

HI Old Sydney is in the precinct known as The Rocks and is very close to the Overseas Passenger Terminal, convenient if you are sailing on a large Princess ship such as Diamond. Very popular amongst cruisers.

Also very close to the Harbour Bridge with the Opera House an easy walk.

Smaller Princess ships use White Bay which is in an area in the middle of nowhere with no accommodations.

HI Darling Harbour is located at the southern end of downtown Sydney in China Town and very convenient to the Darling Harbour area with its many fine restaurants, the Aquarium and National Maritime Museum etc.

I see good reviews (and prices are OK) for The York by Swiss-Belhotel and also for The Sydney Boulevard Hotel. Have any of you stayed at either one of these? I see they are not close to each other - but both have reviews saying it is "close" to everything.

Comments? Ideas?

The Sydney Boulevard is located between downtown Sydney and Kings Cross and not really "close"to anything. About 15 minute walk from the city centre, St Marys Cathedral, Australian Museum etc. Taxi to cruise terminal.

We'll be sailing on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas on Feb 25, 2016. In my research, it appears the ship will be at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. At the moment (I haven't booked our flights yet.) it looks like we'll be flying into Sydney on Feb 24th, very early in the morning. We're looking for a hotel for the night of Feb 24th with breakfast included if possible. We need recommendations and advice regarding where to stay and also best transportation from the airport to the hotel. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
We'll be sailing on RCCL's Radiance of the Seas on Feb 25, 2016. In my research, it appears the ship will be at the Overseas Passenger Terminal. At the moment (I haven't booked our flights yet.) it looks like we'll be flying into Sydney on Feb 24th, very early in the morning. We're looking for a hotel for the night of Feb 24th with breakfast included if possible. We need recommendations and advice regarding where to stay and also best transportation from the airport to the hotel. Thanks

Radiance will be leaving from the OPT at the Rocks.

Train would be good if just two of you (about $16 each), if more a taxi might be better value (about $50).

Train would be to Circular Quay, a short , pretty level, walk to the Holiday Inn, the Holiday Inn is over the road from the OPT.

The Sydney Boulevard is located between downtown Sydney and Kings Cross and not really "close"to anything. About 15 minute walk from the city centre, St Marys Cathedral, Australian Museum etc. Taxi to cruise terminal.

We decided to stay at The York. Thanks for the heads up on not being close to anything.

We decided to stay at The York. Thanks for the heads up on not being close to anything.

You will have easy access to public transport from there,, viz train at Wynyard.

Also easy walk to the cruise terminal, The Rocks, Circular Quay and Darling Harbour. And you could also easily walk across the Harbour Bridge and take the train back for a half day out.

In case you need any last minute supplies there is a small supermarket in Wynyard Station. The easiest way to find it is to use the station entrance in the middle of the park over the road and to the right from The York. Go down the steps, down the first escalator and it's right there.

And there is another in the shopping mall accessed from Jamieson St.

Both very handy to The York.

In case you need any last minute supplies there is a small supermarket in Wynyard Station. The easiest way to find it is to use the station entrance in the middle of the park over the road and to the right from The York. Go down the steps, down the first escalator and it's right there.

And there is another in the shopping mall accessed from Jamieson St.

Both very handy to The York.

A large supermarket [Woolworths I tihnk} in the Metro centre the one near the Station is a City Convenience, tends to charge more but very handy for last minutes bits and pieces and open longer.

Thanks for the information. I am adding it onto my word document and making sure I take it with us.

I'm thinking we will buy the one week pass for transportation and take advantage of the trains, ferries, etc. instead of doing "tours". Hopefully we will get to go to the Blue Mountains as I hear it is very pretty up there.

We are looking at Matra on Kent and Medina on Hoskin. The reviews on Matra is a little better than Medina but we are not sure about a good location for these places.

Any in put is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I've read that the York has "un-refurbished" rooms. What does that mean?

Thanks,

Arlene

Our friends stayed there 6 months ago in an "un-refurbished" room and said it was great. They are pretty fussy usually and they had no complaints - in fact they suggested we stay there and also other friends of theirs who will be there the week before we are. I guess it just means they have not been recently updated - but they are still clean. I was not going to book there because I was afraid of the "un-refurbished" term in the booking.

We are looking at Matra on Kent and Medina on Hoskin. The reviews on Matra is a little better than Medina but we are not sure about a good location for these places.

Any in put is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Both as good properties.

The big difference is location.

Where are y sailing from, how long are you staying in Sydney will probably be the deciding factors.

Kent Street is in the city, Public Transport all but at your door, close to the OPT.

Hoskin Street transport may be a problem, the plus is t is closer to Whte Bay.

Both as good properties.

The big difference is location.

Where are y sailing from, how long are you staying in Sydney will probably be the deciding factors.

Kent Street is in the city, Public Transport all but at your door, close to the OPT.

Hoskin Street transport may be a problem, the plus is t is closer to Whte Bay.

Thanks for the input.

We will be on on Holland America Noordam from New Zealand to Australia (Sydney) cruise and per the schedule it will be docking at White Bay.

We will stay 3 nites in Sidney and also are checking out Travelodge Wynard and Phillip. Hope to come up with a decent place to stay while in Sydney.

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

We will be on on Holland America Noordam from New Zealand to Australia (Sydney) cruise and per the schedule it will be docking at White Bay.

We will stay 3 nites in Sidney and also are checking out Travelodge Wynard and Phillip. Hope to come up with a decent place to stay while in Sydney.

Thanks

I wouldn't stay Hoslin Street without a car.

The two travelodges are both good, I have stayed at both

York Street is opposite Wynyard train station and bus interchange so handy for transport and basically n the CBD for shopping etc just a walk to Circular Quay for ferry to Manly or the Zoo.

Philip St is just as central [st James Station in this case] and is above the NSW Rugby League club so you have access to drinks at Club prices [less than a restaurant] and also has a bistro that does pretty good meals at a reasonable $.

I should say Mantra is probably a * above Travelodge.

Lately DW has been staying at the Grace in York street and we've found it pleasant. They were also advertisinga deal the last time we were there that included a $50 shopping voucher maybe for some souvenirs.

I am not sure of tariffs at these establishments though.

Just a thought. If you are departing from the OPT, check out the Marriot Circular Quay. We stayed there last year pre-cruise & I picked it as I have mobility issues.

Yes it may cost a little more, but even for me it was only a very short walk from the airport train station at Circular Quay & to the port. So, what you spend extra for staying at a nice hotel you save in transport costs & time!