Not sure what you need to take with you on your cruise?

Boiler Cruiser

Several years ago, when my wife and I prepared to go on our first cruise, we asked a number of people (many on CruiseCritic) what they suggested we take along.

This included things that we would not want to do without, things that would increase our creature comforts, and also items that we might wish we had, and would regret not taking when we had the chance.

I complied it all into a list. I have attached a copy of that list, but have also posted it below.

I hope you find it useful, and if you have any additional suggestions, please share!

SUGGESTIONS

FOR WHAT NOT TO FORGET TO TAKE WITH YOU ON YOUR CRUISE

CLOTHING, ETC.

Small tote umbrella

Extra pair of prescription glasses

Large metal paper clips for hanging up wet bathing suits

Sweater and/ or jacket for cool nights at sea or air conditioned areas that are quite cool

Over-the-door shoe holder

Cheap waterproof watch

LAUNDRY

Small containers of laundry detergent

Dryer sheets

Nylon mesh laundry bags

Pop-up laundry hamper

Stain remover pen

FOR STORING CLOTHING

A shoe rack which fits over the bathroom door

Extra hangers

AIR FRESHENERS, ETC.

Fabreeze air freshener (may be a problem if flying)

Airfreshener solid

TOILETRIES (PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS)

Shampoo

Hair conditioner

Disinfectant wipes

Travel roll of toilet paper

Purell or other waterless hand cleaner

Liquid hand soap

A small shower organizer to keep the soap and shampoo, razor, etc. (There is little enough room in the bathroom for storage)

FOR OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES

Bug spray

Sunscreen

Waterproof (water resistant) shoes

Sunglasses

Suntan lotion

Plastic hair clips for holding down towels on your chair or holding wet things drying on the balcony

FOR ON-SHORE EXCURSIONS

A backpack or fammy pack for carrying things on shore excursions

Driver Licenses if needed

Your passports

Ship Cards

Credit Card

Cash

Tour Vouchers & Payment for Tours with tips

Waterproof Camera

Chair Clips

RainPonchos

Thermal Bag with drinks & ice

DRUGS, MEDICINES, ETC.

Headache medicine (aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, etc.)

Stomach ache medicine (Pepto Bismol tablets, etc)

Bonine or Dramamine

Band Aids

Antiseptic ointment

Extra prescription medications (extra 2-3 days’ supply

Benedryl

Neosporin

Calamine lotion

APPLIANCES AND ELECTRONICS

Nightlight (for the bathroom or elsewhere)

Alarm clock

Hair dryer

Flat Iron

Power bar/ power strip

Extra batteries for your digital camera

Rechargable batteries for your digital camera

Battery charger

Cell phone charger

Flashlight

Extra memory cards for your digital camera

CLEANERS

Clorox spray cleaner for disinfecting surfaces

LAUNDRY NEEDS

Fabric sheets

Pop-up hamper for dirty clothes

Trash bag for storing dirty clothes

Duffle bag for dirty laundry

SHOPPING

Empty duffle bag for carrying what you buy on shopping trips

Empty tote bag for carrying what you buy on shopping trips

IF YOU BRING A LAPTOP COMPUTER

Memory card reader and/ or cable to backup your photos to a flash drive or CD/ DVD

MISCELLANEOUS

A highlighter for the newspaper or Patters

Bottle opener

Jigger

Small cocktail shaker

Single $$ for tips and misc. spending

Sewing kit

Bottle opener (“Church-key”)

Guidebooks for your cruise desitnations

Small roll of duct tape

Post-It notes to leave messages for the porter or those traveling with you

Cork screw

Addresses of all those that you want to write postcards and letters to while on your cruise.

A small pair of scissors

A bungie cord to hold open the sliding door to the balcony and/or hold the drapes open

Small pair of binoculars

Eyeglasses repair kit

Thank you cards to leave for waiters and stewards. (They really appreciate them!)

WHAT TO TAKE ON YOUR CRUISE.doc

Your list is very thorough. Some items can be crossed off, of course, each person needs to decide for themselves. For instance, we always have a corkscrew packed into our carry on, but can do without the church key.

If those who think they can get by with 90% less than what is listed, pack your suitcases and carry ons, dump them out and make a list, you will be surprised at just how much stuff you have on a list.

A few items were mentioned more than once (over the door shoe holder, disinfectant wipes/spray cleaner, chair clips were listed 3 times). From this list I'd cross off 14 items, plus all the laundry related items. This isn't too bad, I've come across lists on CC before where I crossed off 40 items before getting out of the carry on :eek:

But...I probably have other items not listed that I do want to take along. Everyone has their own creature comforts they cannot do without for a week and the list is different for all of us. My suggestion is to go through your daily routine and take that stuff, plus a very small first aid kit, make your own list. Really think about any extra stuff you have to pack, organize, repack and haul home, consider if it is something you cannot do without.

My husband and I have been together over 30 years and have taken many vacations together. We have yet to have any need for duct tape. We rarely have any need for it at home, either. I see it on almost every packing list out there.

Please remove the "flat iron" from your list. Cruise ships consider them a fire

hazard and will confiscate them if spotted. They will be returned at end of cruise

but, like flame-candles, they are not allowed.

A flat iron is to straighten hair. ;)

It's the clothes irons that are not allowed onboard.

Immodium should be at the top of the meds list.

........If those who think they can get by with 90% less than what is listed, pack your suitcases and carry ons, dump them out and make a list, you will be surprised at just how much stuff you have on a list.

Nope, I still have only 10% of any of these endless packing lists.....even on a B2B.:)

There are alot of things on the list I wouldn't bring, but it is still a good basic list that anyone can edit for their own use. Like:

Add a few zip-lock bags, sandwich, quart and gallon...gallon for when things are still wet when I need to pack them, quart--liquids that might burst while traveling, sandwich--bringing cookies to cabin for DH late night snack. :D

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Nope, I still have only 10% of any of these endless packing lists.....even on a B2B.:)

I don't believe that for an instant. Granted we can do without much of the list, but unless you don't take a camera, one cell phone (crazy not to travel without one any longer in case of emergency) a small first aid kit, ID, travel documents of some kind and a few personal items you will have more than 10% of the above list.

I don't believe that for an instant. Granted we can do without much of the list, but unless you don't take a camera, one cell phone (crazy not to travel without one any longer in case of emergency) a small first aid kit, ID, travel documents of some kind and a few personal items you will have more than 10% of the above list.

Believe what you wish but there are so many things on that list that it IS possible.:) Sorry but I am not going to take the time to count everything on that list and compare. My first aid kit once consisted of 5 band aids which I didn't even take last time.....information desk had them and the first time I needed one. Don't forget that there are also people who take only one carry on.;)

Hmmmmmm, maybe I just will do a count.

i personally have been cruising since the 1980's and have never taken most of the stuff on this list. I cruise at least twice a year or more. You are really overthinking the packing. The one time I actually needed duct tape (broken zipper on a suitcase) a simple call to housekeeping brought a man to the door who not only supplied me with duct tape, but help me wrap my suitcase to get it home. Pack lightly and don't schlep all that stuff around. IMHO.. enjoy your cruise.

There are alot of things on the list I wouldn't bring, but it is still a good basic list that anyone can edit for their own use. Like:

Add a few zip-lock bags, sandwich, quart and gallon...gallon for when things are still wet when I need to pack them, quart--liquids that might burst while traveling, sandwich--bringing cookies to cabin for DH late night snack. :D

Happy Thanksgiving everyone

YES!:D I carry all sizes of zip locks now - the late night snacks OH YES! Also, they are great to organize my beach bag on shore tours, and my carry on.

I also have a few lanyards that I loop around my beach bag handles, or in my backpack, and hook on small wallet, camera bag etc. - for security and avoids digging

Nice list - thank you

I am a big planner and found a great app on the Android market that can put all of it on your phone. It was great for my last cruise and I will use it again. Look up the Ultimate Checklist or Cruise Checklist and it should come up. There are things that I don't hope to have to use but I would rather have them if I ever needed to. Happy Sailing!

I've used a list similar to yours for over 40 years. Leaving soon for 66th cruise and have packed almost everything you've listed. We take one suitcase each for 4 weeks at sea. Some folks just aren't planners but for those of us who are, this list is great.

Several years ago, when my wife and I prepared to go on our first cruise, we asked a number of people (many on CruiseCritic) what they suggested we take along.

This included things that we would not want to do without, things that would increase our creature comforts, and also items that we might wish we had, and would regret not taking when we had the chance.

I complied it all into a list. I have attached a copy of that list, but have also posted it below.

I hope you find it useful, and if you have any additional suggestions, please share!

SUGGESTIONS

FOR WHAT NOT TO FORGET TO TAKE WITH YOU ON YOUR CRUISE

CLOTHING, ETC.

Small tote umbrella

Extra pair of prescription glasses

Large metal paper clips for hanging up wet bathing suits

Sweater and/ or jacket for cool nights at sea or air conditioned areas that are quite cool

Over-the-door shoe holder

Cheap waterproof watch

LAUNDRY

Small containers of laundry detergent

Dryer sheets

Nylon mesh laundry bags

Pop-up laundry hamper

Stain remover pen

FOR STORING CLOTHING

A shoe rack which fits over the bathroom door

Extra hangers

AIR FRESHENERS, ETC.

Fabreeze air freshener (may be a problem if flying)

Airfreshener solid

TOILETRIES (PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS)

Shampoo

Hair conditioner

Disinfectant wipes

Travel roll of toilet paper

Purell or other waterless hand cleaner

Liquid hand soap

A small shower organizer to keep the soap and shampoo, razor, etc. (There is little enough room in the bathroom for storage)

FOR OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES

Bug spray

Sunscreen

Waterproof (water resistant) shoes

Sunglasses

Suntan lotion

Plastic hair clips for holding down towels on your chair or holding wet things drying on the balcony

FOR ON-SHORE EXCURSIONS

A backpack or fammy pack for carrying things on shore excursions

Driver Licenses if needed

Your passports

Ship Cards

Credit Card

Cash

Tour Vouchers & Payment for Tours with tips

Waterproof Camera

Chair Clips

RainPonchos

Thermal Bag with drinks & ice

DRUGS, MEDICINES, ETC.

Headache medicine (aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, etc.)

Stomach ache medicine (Pepto Bismol tablets, etc)

Bonine or Dramamine

Band Aids

Antiseptic ointment

Extra prescription medications (extra 2-3 days’ supply

Benedryl

Neosporin

Calamine lotion

APPLIANCES AND ELECTRONICS

Nightlight (for the bathroom or elsewhere)

Alarm clock

Hair dryer

Flat Iron

Power bar/ power strip

Extra batteries for your digital camera

Rechargable batteries for your digital camera

Battery charger

Cell phone charger

Flashlight

Extra memory cards for your digital camera

CLEANERS

Clorox spray cleaner for disinfecting surfaces

LAUNDRY NEEDS

Fabric sheets

Pop-up hamper for dirty clothes

Trash bag for storing dirty clothes

Duffle bag for dirty laundry

SHOPPING

Empty duffle bag for carrying what you buy on shopping trips

Empty tote bag for carrying what you buy on shopping trips

IF YOU BRING A LAPTOP COMPUTER

Memory card reader and/ or cable to backup your photos to a flash drive or CD/ DVD

MISCELLANEOUS

A highlighter for the newspaper or Patters

Bottle opener

Jigger

Small cocktail shaker

Single $$ for tips and misc. spending

Sewing kit

Bottle opener (“Church-key”)

Guidebooks for your cruise desitnations

Small roll of duct tape

Post-It notes to leave messages for the porter or those traveling with you

Cork screw

Addresses of all those that you want to write postcards and letters to while on your cruise.

A small pair of scissors

A bungie cord to hold open the sliding door to the balcony and/or hold the drapes open

Small pair of binoculars

Eyeglasses repair kit

Thank you cards to leave for waiters and stewards. (They really appreciate them!)

Archived