port entry of San Juan ? about liquor store

? at the entry port of san juan is there a liquor store right in the cruise terminal like there was at the Carnival term and the princess terminal.

and has anyone bought there booze right there and walked it on from that point???

TIA

I went out of the Pan American pier in December on the Empress and there was no liquor store at that time. That is the pier across the water from Old San Juan. They may have put one in since then.

If you go out of the piers in Old San Juan, there is one.

Just got back from Explorer of the Seas 08/28/2005.

First port was Puerto Rico, They did have a Liquor store inside the port with better prices than the cruise line. CRUISE DID PRICE MATCH, just show them the ad from the store. Also there was free Booze as we were leaving the ship to go into the city, Pina Colada, Rum punch and shots of rum (ALL FREE).

Also there is 3 or 4 stores upstairs one selling sovineers, one selling perfume and the other one was also liquor.

Hope this helps.

Chris

You cant carry alot on without them catching you, you have to put it in your back pack or beach bag so that dont see it, it its visible they take it, so dont plan on carryin on cases of anything. You can give them the boxed liquor and put 2 or 3 in your backpack, they dont physically check it, they put it through the xray machine. When we were in San Juan in July my son put vanilla vodka in a large water bottle, and they took it to smell it, and then made him turn it in, they returned it the last night of the cruise. Good luck and have a great time. Joann

When we were at the Pan American pier in January there was a liquour store.

Some of their prices were as follows (from a flyer we were handed):

Bacardi Gold 1L- $6.50

Bacardi Reserva 750ml- 8.95

Bacardi Superior 1L-6.50

Bacardi Select/Black 1L-6.50

Bacardi 8 Anos 1L- 14.95

Bacardi Flavors- Mix& Match any 3L- $25 (Bacardi O, Limon, Coco, Razz, Vanilla, Ciclon) or 1 L for 9.95

J&B 1L- 11.95

Baileys 1L- 15.95

Tanqueray 1L- 11.95

Crown Royal 1L- 16.95

Smirnoff 1L-7.95

Johnny Walker Black 1L- 23.95

Johnny Walker Gold 750 ml- 40.95

Johnny Walker Blue 750 ml- 114.95

Johnny Walker Red 1L-12.95

There was a large selection in the store, which also carried cans and bottles of pop and water (sorry, don't remember prices).

We found the prices (except for Bacardi) to be much better in St. Maarten (eg. Gordons Gin 1L $5.95, Appleton Rum 1L $4.95) but if you are looking to bring booze on to drink these might have to do.

Hope this helps,

Sorry JTJ, I don't know. This was not our embarkation point, so we didn't have bags. The store was on the left when we entered the pier building, and then we had to walk through a large hangar to the ship, where we went though security.

I'm not sure, but in Miami, we checked out luggage before we even entered the building. Maybe someone who has been sailed from San Juan would know?

Do you want to put the liquor in your luggage? You could always bring an extra carry on bag?

Cheers,

Several liquor stores in the terminal.... just a word of warning. If you have to check your liquor with the ship be sure that you keep the claim ticket that they give you. They did not return all of my bottles on the last night of our cruise. I had to produce my claim ticket as well as my receipt from the liquor store. They did replace my bottles, but not with what I had purchased as they didn't have it.

Yes- there is a liquor store there. We bought 2 bottles (one for a friend), put them in our bags and went right on the ship. No problems at all. We thought if they were taken, we would get them back at the end of the trip- no big deal, but they didn't. I don't know if the folks at RCCL know about this and just ignore the bottles crammed into people's bags, or are just not paying attention. Either way- it was pretty neat. :D

Happy Sailing Gang!

Pam

can you go to the store then leave before checking your bags, so you don't have to carry on?

I don't think this would be possible. At Pan American, you would check your non-carry on bags outside with the porters and then go inside. Once inside, depending what time you get there, you might have to wait to enter the next room which is where you check-in to get your SeaPass, and this is where the duty free liquor store is. Most people (including me) bought liquor and stuck it in their carry on. It does go through the x-ray when you board but they didn't say a thing.

I was afraid this might not be possible anymore with their new liquor policy, but based on the quote below it looks like it can still be done - which is good because I will be going out of Pan American Pier again in January.

Yes- there is a liquor store there. We bought 2 bottles (one for a friend), put them in our bags and went right on the ship. No problems at all. We thought if they were taken, we would get them back at the end of the trip- no big deal, but they didn't. I don't know if the folks at RCCL know about this and just ignore the bottles crammed into people's bags, or are just not paying attention. Either way- it was pretty neat. :D

Pam

So, we'll see.

Archived