What to do on Grand Turk stop?

granni10

I have been to grand Turk several times. We rented a golf cart one time from Nathan....you can find his info on the port of call board. We rode all over the island which is not very big. Not a lot to see but interesting to see how people live etc...there is a cool lighthouse at the end of the island with great views. Usually we get off the ship and walk down the beach just a bit from Maragaritaville to Jacks's Shack..... Great drinks and some of the best jerk chicken ever!!! A lot less crowded than the main cruise beach and we love to hang out there and visit with Jack!!! He moved there from up north and loves his life. Great time always. Enjoy your trip. Never did it on Carnival but all the ships go to the same place as is so small. If you like diving or snorkeling they have some of the best water in the Caribbean IMO.

We have never been to Grand Turk, what is interesting to do there?

Thanks very much for any information

I had a nice dive there:

and they do have a discover scuba group if you're not certified. Flowrider looks cool. Ironnically, I just found my $22 "Jack's Shack" cap :rolleyes:a couple hours ago.

We went to Govenors beach a short walk and snorkeled there. If you walk there and bring your own gear it is free not bad snorkeling :)

Just curious, how long of a walk is this. Debating to do this. Did you walk on the road the whole way, or beach it to Jack's Shack and cut through to road there?

Also - does anyone know if there is other areas within walking distance that has decent shore snorkling?

We went to Govenors beach a short walk and snorkeled there. If you walk there and bring your own gear it is free not bad snorkeling :)

How long did it take you to walk to Governor's Beach?

Did you walk down the beach from the Cruise Center?

So far, I haven't been able to find any maps to the beach online, so any information is appreciated.

I was on Grand Turk on Tuesday. Took a tour of the Island 2 hours for $25. including the light house. Then back to the beach to swim next to the ship.

I took part in a tour of that description while dh went scuba diving. Our driver was Kathy of Jack & Kathy's Taxi. We stopped at Cocksburn, the light house and the salt pond (small museum/gift shop). Her van held about 9 of us to start but 3 people stayed in Cocksburn, so we had more room after that. In my opinion 9 is too many for the AC to do its job and for the passengers in the back to hear the tour guide. Just thought I would throw that out in case you consider a tour.

Afterward, I walked down to the Local Village Bar to have a rum & Coke on the beach and swim, and there was still time to shop at the duty-free.

We were there last April. We rented a golf cart for a family of 4. Went all over the island ... don't worry if you get lost, it's very small! We stopped at a couple of different beaches, had some local food for lunch, went snorkling, saw the light house, .... We had no problems with the golf cart - called Nathan and reserved it about a month before our cruise. It was there waiting for us. I had read reviews that they were old and breaking down, but ours was brand new! I did put in about $5 worth of gas before returning it, but only to be safe ... the needle didn't really move off the

"full". mark.

/Sue

We also walked down the beach to Jack's. Nice beach, and very few rocks in the water - beautiful beach! Good drinks, although I don't think we tried the food. Margaritaville was OK - prefered the beach more.

I think we'll try the golf carts next time - sounds like fun :)

Have only been there once but it was one of my very favorite port days in the caribbean, at least so far.

We got into a taxi right outside the cruise center and asked to be taken to the National Grand Turk Museum. It was a quick & inexpensive fare, only about $10 as I recall. DS and I enjoyed the museum, we had the whole place to ourselves aside from the staff. Great nautical / shipwreck items, as the huge coral reef off of GT has made it one of the shipwreck capitals of the world! It is a small museum, a local school boy gave the beginning introduction to the museum and his island. Much prefer this to buying overpriced drinks at margaritaville.

We just snorkled off the beach and walked around....we did see lots of sea urchins in the water where we were snorkeling!

Great, easy, relaxing day...went to the ship to eat...didn't spend any money and had a blast.

We usually don't take a ship sponsored excursion but we decided to take the snorkeling tour along the wall....and it was fantastic snorkeling off the boat....we went to two or three different snorkeling spots, and we had a great time. One of, if not the best day we had in a port on our Aruba cruise.

We LOVED Grand Turk! When you walk off the pier, instead of turning left towards the shopping, public beach and Margaritaville...turn right instead and head down that side of the beach. It is full of the most beautiful big conch shells! My favorite things were brought home were free...two HUGE shells filled one of our carry ons on the plane home and they were free! Lots of little fish and no people there at all. We walked all the way to the end and then enjoyed the view, then walked back to the pier (maybe took 60 minutes?). Then we enjoyed the shopping area and headed for the public beach. The water is beautiful and the pictures you take while swimming there are so cool because the ship is so close to where you swim!

We are a family of 6. All 4 kids are between ages 10-12. Are any of the golf carts big enough for 6? And also I was told that there is a huge public pool in Grand Turk. Is this true? Thanks :)

there is a huge pool BUT it is at Margaritaville. don't know if you want your kids there. However, I Haven't been to GT yet - first time will be in Feb 2013 - woohoo - so I really don't know what the area is like. I believe if you google Grand Turk Cruise center, you will find a map of the area.

have fun!

We are a family of 6. All 4 kids are between ages 10-12. Are any of the golf carts big enough for 6? And also I was told that there is a huge public pool in Grand Turk. Is this true? Thanks :)

There is a huge pool. Lots of lounge chairs and everyone is welcome

Enjoy your cruise!

The pool at Margaritaville is enormous. Lots of twists & turns. Different areas.

As far as Grand Turk in general, go snorkeling or scuba-diving.

Last April, a 40 foot whale shark showed up at the end of our second dive. Stayed & played with us for 15 min!

Archived