Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old October 14th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up What are your 'secret weapon' beauty products?

This has probably been done before, but I think the opinions on this topic are always evolving. I like to check out the cosmetic products recommended by makeup artists and other industry professionals....so how about the everyday user's opinion?

Share your favorite makeup and/or beauty products...and why you love them so much!

Some of my favs--
foundation - MAC Face & Body; great for uneven skin tone, anywhere you need it...light and blends well.
fragrance - Yves St. Laurent 'In Love Again' (2004); fruity and summery, it just makes me happy.
shampoo for oily hair - Rene Furterer Curbicia; treatment shampoo (1-2 times per week) that works miracles on my oily, flat, fine hair.
undereye brightener - The Body Shop Illuminating Eye Treatment with Kinetin; this is my Magic Wand! It brightens the undereye area subtly without the caked-on look or feel of concealer. I love it!

What are your secret weapons?

American Queen - 8/01 Kalar Klan Family Reunion
Celebrity Constellation - 12/3/05

Old October 15th, 2005, 12:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hey, Pennstater!

Saw your post and just had to respond. I have no beauty secrets but couldn't let your screen name go unanswered, for obvious reasons.

I checked your profile and saw you were born the year I graduated from Penn State. Scary, eh?!? Also saw you're a proofreader and the mention of Philly Burbs. Do you happen to work for a newspaper in that area?

I work for a paper in the other side of the state and we have sister papers in the Philly Burbs. Hmmmmm, wouldn't that be an interesting coincidence?

Roseann

Old October 15th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hi there, twin!

OMG - I unintentionally stole your screen name (although yours is much more clever !) What a small virtual world! Yep, I live in Radnor, on the Philly Main Line and am a fellow Penn State alum. Do you get back to Happy Valley often? I am headed there for the next 2 home games to see JoePa kick some butt! I actually proofread for a graphic design firm - this is a new career for me - I used to work in senior social services. So, no newspaper work yet, but with more experience I may start freelancing on the side...who knew that there was a career designed for a perfectionist! With all this in common, maybe someday we will cross paths in work or play! So glad to meet you, Roseann!

But back to the topic -- Are you sure you don't have something to share...a favorite cleanser or moisturizer? Maybe the one makeup item that you absolutely use for special occasions? It doesn't have to be anything special, just what works for you. I personally love to hear about home recipes, like the old mayo as hair conditioner trick...that stuff is so interesting!

Old October 15th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default That was a quick reply!

Hi, again, I just saw you replied to my post!

I haven't been to a football game in several years since I began taking care of my mom who is 91 (92 in November) and has Alzheimer's. Thank goodness just about every game is on TV so I get to watch the Lions.

Wanna hear a sad story? I got an invitation to the president's (Graham, not George W.!) tailgate at the Penn Stater prior to the PSU-Purdue game with seats for the game in the president's box (saaaweeet!) and I had to decline because I don't have anyone to take care of my mom. Take a guess how sad I am.

OK, here's my beauty secret--don't cringe: I wash my face with the same soap I use on my body--Irish Spring Waterfall Fresh--I use lipstick/gloss and blush and that's it. If I'm getting dressed up, I'll add eyeliner and mascara and I'm out the door.

My skin is not dry, I don't have zits and I haven't worn foundation since I was in junior high and thought it was cool to wear makeup. I don't use moisturizer or eyecream or anything else along those lines.

A friend of mine, who is also Italian, sez our skin is so nice because we use a lot of olive oil in our food. I don't know if it's true but people usually think I'm 10 to 15 years younger than I am. Of course, they might be B.S.ing me or are judging my age based on the way I act. I've never grown up and I don't plan to do so anytime soon!

My makeup remover is Albolene; you buy it by the tub! It's what we used in high school and college to remove theatre makeup so, if it works for that heavy stuff, it will work for anything!

See, I wasn't kidding when I said I don't have any beauty secrets!

Roseann

Old October 15th, 2005, 01:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Have recently switched my perfume to Angel Innocent. Getting loads of compliments on it.

Another recent find is Johnson's Softcream extra care body cream.
Excellent for dry heels & legs.

I am never without my Blistex - they have some now called fruit smoothies.

2014 Coral Panama Canal; Caribbean/Western Caribbean

2013 Caribbean/Caribbean. Emerald TA Copenhagen-NY.; Caribbean/Western Caribbean.
2012 Island/Panama Canal. Coral Alaska. Caribbean Southern Caribbean.
2011 Emerald TA/Europe. Grand Caribbean x2. 2010 Celebrity Solstice Caribbean; Diamond Beijing-Alaska & Alaska.
2009 Caribbean Caribbean x2; 2008 Royal Amazon, Golden Alaska, Star Mexico; 2007 Golden Cape Horn, Golden Mexico;2006 Golden Caribbean, Grand Greek Isles, Crown Caribbean; 2005 Golden Caribbean B2B, Star Baltic; 2004 Star Caribbean, Diamond Alaska, Coral Panama Canal; 2003 Coral Panama Canal x2; 2002 Ocean Panama Canal, Ocean Alaska; 2001 Ocean Panama Canal; 2000 Pacific Bermuda, Regal Hawaii/Tahiti; 1999 Dawn Caribbean; 1998 Dawn Panama Canal; 1997 Dawn Panama Canal/Mexico B2B, Crown Caribbean; 1996 Pacific Panama Canal, Island Black Sea; 1995 Regal Caribbean.
1994 NCL; 1993 Carnival;1992 Costa;1990 RCCL;1989 Home Lines ;1988 Home Lines.

MY PHOTOS:
http://community.webshots.com/user/sunprincess8

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 15th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunprincess
Another recent find is Johnson's Softcream extra care body cream.
Excellent for dry heels & legs.
totally unrelated, but the graphic design firm I work for designed the packaging and graphics for the Softcream/Softlotion line...I love to hear people actually use the products!

Old October 15th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennst8r
...I began taking care of my mom who is 91 (92 in November) and has Alzheimer's...

OK, here's my beauty secret--don't cringe: I wash my face with the same soap I use on my body--Irish Spring Waterfall Fresh--

A friend of mine, who is also Italian, sez our skin is so nice because we use a lot of olive oil in our food. I don't know if it's true but people usually think I'm 10 to 15 years younger than I am.
First, having been in senior services in my previous career, if you need connections for services and assistance, such as respite, drop me a line at dawnbean@yahoo.com ... PA has great services funded by the state dept. of aging, which many people don't know about. Although I don't work in the field anymore, I still know how to get the info and have a passion for it (my grandma helped raise me and at age 99, is still living alone!)

See, you do have a beauty secret! My mom has only used Ivory soap for all her cleansing, and she has fantastic skin! Sometimes, the tried-and-true products really are tried-and-true...

I've heard about the benefits of olive oil many times. Actually, several cosmetics companies are incorporating olive oil in their topical products. The Body Shop introduced a whole line of olive products several months ago and from what I hear, it is doing very well. Keep that great Italian food coming!

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts and 'secrets', Roseann!

Old October 15th, 2005, 03:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Fun post!
I'm a makeup junkie. I think I spend too much money on beauty products.

my skin tone is combination, very oily T-zone.

MAC Prep and Prime cream. I use it on top of my moisturizer and it's awesome. It makes my pores look much smaller and my skin looks better. If I want to look nice and I don't have time for foundation, I just use this instead. If you're ever at the MAC counter, sample this.

Vaseline, I use it on my lips, knees, elbows, feet. and when I'm going to board a plane, I put it in my nostrils (sounds gross I know). Every couple of hours I wipe it out, and apply more. I think it helps from catching any viruses while on the plane.

MAC 242 brush. So awesome to apply concealer.

Cle de Peau concealer. this stuff has the best texture/consistency and really glides on without caking but the price tag is scary. (close to a hundred bucks) but I have some scars on my face that need some major concealing.

Almay foundations! I stocked up on a bunch of trial size containers at Big Lots. They look nice on without looking cakey and really flatters my skin.

Jane blushes, you only need to use very little and the price is good.

Bonne Bell eyeliners (under two bucks) and liplix.

Shu Uemura eyelash curler. around $18 at Sephora. very good investment.

Escada Island Kiss perfume. Smells kind of like a pina colada. I rarely get any compliments on it, but I love wearing it..

MAC eyeshadow in bronze. I use it over eyeliner, and sometimes to fill in brows.

Pennstater, I have to check out that YSL fragrance you mentioned. Sounds very nice! and I'll definitely check out the body shop eye treatment.

Where can you get Albolene?

Old October 15th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater
totally unrelated, but the graphic design firm I work for designed the packaging and graphics for the Softcream/Softlotion line...I love to hear people actually use the products!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dawn,

Small world, huh??
I do love the lotion

Old October 15th, 2005, 10:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Biolage leave-in conditioner with sunscreen. Makes a huge difference in your hair when in the sun. 12 bucks a pop which is quite a bit more than the average leave-in from Target but i have tried other cheaper brands with UV protection and none have done the job.

Old October 15th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Estee Lauder....

Pure Color lipstick. For the FIRST time in my entire life (and I'm 54!) I have found a lipstick that does NOT leave my lips chapped!! I don't like the price....but next time I'll just buy it on Ebay! <G>

Anni

Old October 16th, 2005, 12:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Products:
-Yonka skin care. I have very tempermental skin and their products are wonderful.
-Bare Minerals Bisque: use under liquid foundation as a concealer. Never cakes.
-Ultima II wonder wear foundation: for evenings out, it lasts and looks natural when applied with a moist cosmetic sponge.
-Bare Minerals Mineral Viel: Use over liquid foundation and under pressed powder for those of us with less than perfect skin. Will keep the matte finish all day.
-OPI top coat: Keep it in the fridge, and put a coat on about once ever 3-4 days. Will keep the color from chipping.

"Tricks"
-Lips: even if you don't wear foundation, outline lips with a small amount of foundation then powder. Outline lips with pencil, and fill. For a natural look, use a lip balm over the liner. If you want a more glam look apply lipstick or gloss. You'll have all day color, may have to replace gloss after you eat though.

-Thicker eye lashes: Use a "puffy" sable brush and lightly dust eye lashes with loose powder before putting on mascara. Don't use too much or it will be chunky.

-Eyes: To brighten your eyes, put a "dot" of lighter shadow on the center of your lid over the other, matching color. Make sure you blend it in a bit.

~e

Old October 16th, 2005, 01:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsred
-Yonka skin care. I have very tempermental skin and their products are wonderful.

~e
Ooooo...I forgot to mention Yonka! Creme 11 is the best for me--I have rosacea and my aesthetician tried this to reduce the bright redness that results after an eyebrow wax...I've been hooked ever since!

Two more from me--
lip gloss - Lancome Juicy Tubes, the lightest, non-sticky gloss I have ever used.
blotting papers/films - MAC Blot Film, it's some kind of high-tech material (not tissue) and one sheet will leave my entire (oily) face perfectly matte with makeup untouched.

Ummm....I think I'm giving myself away for the beauty product junkie that I am.

Oh, and great tips, mrsred!

Old October 16th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Products and an "aside" to the Penn State ladies

Hello! First off, my beauty "secrets":

The Renee Rouleau skin care line. It is expensive, but I have found it to be wonderful! They taught me a great trick for red spots from waxing or pimples: calamine lotion. I have a problem with facial hair, and get a lot of waxing done. They taught me to put on a "mask" of calamine lotion after the treatment, and it has prevented any post-waxing breakouts. It even dries up pimples! Clear for day, pink for bedtime . I don't know if it works under or over foundation, but it works at other times!

When I got married, I went to the Trish McEvoy counter, and they taught me a wonderful trick for wide awake eyes: nude shadow, very dark navy liner on the top lid ONLY, and navy mascara. The liner was actually a powder, a very tiny line just above the lashes. It is great for pictures!

My favorite lipsticks: MAC Captive and Shishedo Nuance Rose. Go try them, I cannot explain it adequately but they both seem to look perfect on every skin tone.

To the Penn State ladies: Please accept empathy, thanks, and good wishes from a Boston College grad . My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 1980, when I was 11. He passed away when I was 18, just before I left for college. I remember the hardship of helping to care for him, but I now can look back and be happy that I was able to help him. I also remember very fondly the people who helped my family during that time, and trust me there were a lot fewer resources back then! The work that you both do, both professionally and personally, will show to the world in a beauty that no cosmetic will ever be able to duplicate.

Take care,
Emmie

Old October 16th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank you!

Emmie, thanks for your kind words. I take each day as it comes and hope for the bright moments when she has more clarity than usual. The first time she didn't know who I was I cried for 20 minutes. I honestly feel it's a privilege to take care of her and, though many of my friends think I'm a saint, I feel I'm just doing what feels right...taking care of her now when she needs me just as she took care of me when I was growing up.

To answer the question of where to find Albolene--try a large chain drugstore in your area. It's come in a plastic tub (no kidding!) and it's a clear kinda solid substance that "melts" when applied to the warmth of the skin. Great stuff!

I thought of another product I use--Palmer's Shea Butter. It comes in a much smaller tub and, interestingly enough, has somewhat of the same consistency as Albolene. It's wonderful on dry, cracked heels or hands. I also like to smooth it on tanned legs and arms because it gives the skin a moist, glowing look. (Please don't think bodybuilder with baby-oiled skin...it's waaaaay more subtle!) I buy it at Wal-Mart. There's a lotion version of Palmer's, but I've never used it. I like the the liquifying solid.

As for fragrances, I use a variety of them. Among my favorites are Paloma Picasso plus Amarige, Ysatis and Organza by Givenchy, Estee Lauder Pleasures and Montana by Claude Montana.

That's about it; I'm just not too exciting when it comes to products.

Roseann

Old October 16th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Several products to suggest that I love:
1] L'Oreal Endless Platinum lipstick---the first long lasting lipcolor that I have found that isn't drying. I use the Crystalline Coral color as a base under other darker lipsticks [including other brands] and it makes the color hold longer and prevent feathering.
2]Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Plump Perfect moisture cream---great if you have dry skin and are showing some wrinkles---it really does reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Also is SPF 30, so great for cruises/outdoor.
3]L'Oreal Age Perfect Eye--- very good eye cream that really helps reduce wrinkles.
4]Blistex Pro-Care lip protectant with sunscreen and ceramides
5]L'Oreal Line Intensifique Extreme Wear liquid liner---has a very thin microfiber applicator that allows you to get a very thin line right at the lash line and comes in good pale colors as well as dark ones.
6]MAC sheer blush and eyeshadows---can't beat the intense yet subtle colors they have!!
7]Nivea Body Restorative Night Hand Cream---Excellent, stays on, and has a subtle restful scent.
8]Here is a real cheapy!---NYC Sparkle Eye Dust in Pink Champagne---very inexpensive in drug stores, a loose powder eye shadow with a little brush---makes a great base color with lots of shine when needed, blends well with other shadows. Fun but subtle.

Upcoming: Carnival Valor, Southern Caribbean, 10/2014.

SS Constitution, Hawaii, 11/1985; MV Stardancer, Mexican Riviera, 6/1986; SS Queen of Bermuda, W. Carib., 4/1990; SS Emerald Seas, Bahamas, 11/1991; Seawind Crown, S. Carib., 11/1996; Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas, 4/2001; Grand Princess, W. Carib., 7/2001; Dawn Princess, S. Carib., 11/2001; Celebrity Horizon, W. Carib, 4/2002; Sea Princess, S. Carib., 11/2002; Carnival Sensation, W. Carib., 4/2003; Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas, 6/2003; Carnival Victory, New England/Canada, 6/2003; Sun Princess, S.Carib., 11/2003; Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas, 10/2004; Coral Princess, Panama Canal, 11/2004; Coral Princess, Alaska, 5/2005; Norwegian Dawn, W. Carib., 11/2005; Sovereign of the Seas, Bahamas, 9/2006; Norwegian Sun, W. Carib, 11/2006; MV Discovery, Antarctica/Falklands/South Georgia, 1/2008; Flamingo I, Galapagos, 5/2009; MV Discovery, Norway, Russia, Arctic Ocean, 6/2011; Victoria Katarina, Yangtze River, 9/2012; MS Oosterdam, Australia/New Zealand, 1/2014.

Old October 16th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Cruise Critic Host & Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Here's one for those of you who use toners. Just buy any brand of Witch Hazel - I buy the dual pack of large bottles at Costco for under $10. Add 20-30 drops of Lavender essential oils (found at most health food type stores) and, voila, you've got about 1/2 gallon of toner (that costs $20 or more per 16 oz at beauty counters).

Also, vaseline with a little color added - like sugar-free drink mixes makes a great lip gloss.

I'm really not cheap - just like a bargain and love to fool the experts who are making megabucks by selling the same things under a different name. Look at the ingredient label of toners and see how many list witch hazel as the first item.

Tauck River Cruise, May, 2011

www.cruisecritic.com/newsletter
www.cruisecritic.co.uk/newsletter
www.independenttraveler.com/newsletter

Oceania Riviera TA 2012
Celebrity Constellation Baltic 2013

Old October 17th, 2005, 01:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

I just had to ask this 70 year old woman what she used that made her skin look young and great. She told me EB5. I have used it for about 5 years now hoping I will look like her at her age.

I had adult acne and someone told me to use Merle Norman foundation. and between that or the EB5, it worked

This isn't care but I love the Johnson baby bath for fussy babies, I think lavender and chamomile it. I swear it relaxes this fussy baby I have had trouble sleeping, took a bath the other night fell asleep afterward at 7:30 and slept the best I have in weeks, right thru (since my cruise last month )

Love this topic and on a side note any sleeping tips would be great!

I have seen on tv people using olive oil on skin

Old October 20th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Sleep tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogfuzz
Love this topic and on a side note any sleeping tips would be great!
Hey, Frogfuzz!

It's not that off topic, a good night's sleep is a great beauty trick!

Have you ever tried herbal or homeopathic remedies? I have tried Sound Sleep by Gaia Herbs, and Calms Forte by Hyland. Both are availible in natural food stores and you can also find them online. I have found them both to be incredibly helpful. Lavender and chamomille are both supposed to be VERY relaxing, and if that bath works for you, keep using it!

Take care,
Emmie

Old October 20th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Far and away, I have to recommend this as my favorite:

Revlon SKINLIGHTS!!! I use the tinted moisturizer and the powder! It's the perfect sheer coverage and it adds just a wonderful glow to my skin! EVERYTIME I use it, I get compliments from people saying that my skin is beautiful. Also, people always ask me if I'm pregnant because they say I just have that happy "GLOW" about me! lol.... they see the glow, but they don't realize it's my makeup! Definately give it a try... I can't recommend it enough! During the summer, when I have a tan, I don't use it as much, but definately during the winter when your skin can get blah, it's the perfect thing!

Also, I'd like to second the She Umera eyelash curler. Since getting it four years ago, I haven't been able to use another brand. Hint: warm the curler up with your hair dryer for about 5-7 seconds before curling lashes... will produce better and longer lasting curl! Think about it: you use a hot curling iron for your hair! Just don't get it too hot or you'll burn your eyelids! Ouch!