We are THIS CLOSE

coolbluegreenseas

So, I finally called Windstar to put a hold on the Tahiti cruise for June 26. They are working up airline prices for me now, but since Cruise Critic members have information that the cruise lines either do not want you to have or the CS simply does not know, I am posting here.

In general, do you get a better price on airfare if you book it yourself? I know transfers and hotel room the night before and day after the cruise are included in the price of the airfare. Do you find these two add- ons are worth it?

My husband is a single malt Scotch drinker. I like wine and occasional Martinis. The Windstar CS told us to check out the included drinks on the drink package before buying it. Does anyone out there have a drink package list? Also, if you go off the list do you pay the entire price of the drink or the difference?

I dive and snorkel and kayak. Are there places I can kayak to and just bring my snorkel gear?

Does Windstar feature food that is from the area?

Oh yes, how is cabin 115?

Thanks.

Only talking about air, you may want to look at the pricing you would find at ITA Software. Note that it is only a research website and that you need to purchase the tickets from the airline. Both Air France and Air Tahiti Nui fly non-stop from Los Angeles (AF is not a daily service, BTW). Hawaiian flies non-stop from Honolulu. There are other carriers, but none with service from the USA without a LONG and complicated routing, such as LAN from Santiago or Air New Zealand from Auckland.

You may be able to get through pricing with DL as a SkyTeam partner or through another carrier with interline agreements with AF or TN. Otherwise, you may need two tickets - one to LAX and another to PPT. If this is the case, give yourself PLENTY of time between the two flights, preferably a day. This is because if your first flight is delayed, there is NO protection on the second ticket. They don't care why you didn't get to LAX, just that you were a no-show.

In addition, you may want to look at various stickies in the Cruise Air forum here at CC. Or post a question there.

We were on the drink package. I prefer bourbon and the two they offered on the package are not my favorite. They also had Wild Turkey,which I like, but it was not on the package. They just charged me $1.15 per drink to upgrade to Wild Turkey. They would have me sign for it but i noticed on my bill that very few of those upgrade charges actually showed up.