An important warning

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:34 AM.
12,933 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Once in a while I try to post this for anyone who isn't aware of the poisonous trees that grow on the beaches of the Caribbean islands.
It's better to be safe than sorry, and I feel that it's an important thing to know.

Many years ago, one of my shipmates sat under this tree during a rain shower, on a beach at Tortola, and her skin became very blistered from the runoff.
Here is the warning again for those who haven't heard about the Machineel trees.

One particular toxic plant worth mentioning is the manchineel tree, Hippomane mancinella, also known as the beach apple or death apple. This tree grows on the shores of islands and coastlines of the Caribbean Sea. A large deciduous tree that has a small green apple-like fruit, it is considered to be one of the most poisonous plants on earth. Given this distinction, it is a tree worth being able to recognize when traveling in this part of the world. Do not sit under it, even during a rain storm, as the droplets of water falling off it contain enough toxic latex to cause a severe contact dermatitis. For the same reason do not touch the leaves, the bark, or burn the wood. The apple-like fruit of the tree contains a potentially deadly poison. The two adventurers mentioned in the preceding paragraph might well have expired from their experimental taste-test.
This tree contains tigliane phorbol esters. Skin contact can cause blistering, burns, erythema, swelling, and inflammation. If ingested, it will cause burning and swelling of the oral mucosa, esophageal ulcerations, edema, and cervical lymphadenopathy, making it impossible to swallow, difficult to talk, and hard to breathe.

Treatment consists of cleansing the skin with soap and water to remove the plant latex, being careful to avoid further exposure and using antihistamines to minimize the immune response and the edema.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising the world since 1980 on various lines~~~
Richardson, Texas
2,529 Posts
Joined May 2006
Thanks for the information, I had no idea that this tree existed or that it could do so much damage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rhonda & Sloan

Carnival Conquest 10/29/06
Carnival Conquest 11/02/08
Carnival Conquest 11/01/09
Carnival Magic 12/04/11
columbus, ohio
177 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
OMG I will look out for this next week!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
celebrity '91
big red boat '98
Carnival Conquest 9/19/05 (Hurricane Rita)
Carnival Triumph 2/2/08
Carnival Glory 9/20/08
Carnival Liberty 11/12/11
Carnival Breeze 3/2/13

up next Disney Wonder 2/7/16

5,242 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Thanks for sharing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Venture

A bad day on a cruise is always better than a good day at work...
Days `til our Mexican Riviera Cruise...
Pride..... May 2007
Victory... May 2006
Pride..... Sept 2004
Jubilee... Sept 1987
Rhode Island
5,801 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
There is one of these trees at Trunk Bay beach on St. John. It was all the way to the left on the beach, facing the water. There was a sign posted just beneath the tree that explained to stay away from it! I wish I'd taken a photo of the tree/sign. I'd never heard of it before...we stayed away from it for sure!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I Love The Patriots!
Super Bowl Champions
2001, 2003, 2004

Carnival Fascination 09/2001
Carnival Sensation 10/2003
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 02/2004
Carnival Victory 09/2005
RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 01/2006
Carnival Triumph 02/2007
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 10/2007
Carnival Spirit 02/2008
RCCL Independence of the Seas Pre-Inaugural 04/2008
Carnival Destiny 02/2009
RCCL Explorer of the Seas 10/2009
RCCL Oasis of the Seas 01/2010
NCL Spirit - Boston to Bermuda 09/2010
Carnival Miracle 01/2011
Carnival Glory 09/2011 Halifax and Saint John
RCCL Voyager of the Seas 01/2012 New Orleans to Western Caribbean
NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda 09/2012
Carnival Ecstasy - Bahamas and Key West 02/2013
Carnival Glory - Boston to Canada 6/30/2013
NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda 10/2013
Allure Of The Seas - Western Carib 1/2014
NCL Dawn - Boston to Bermuda 10/2014
NCL Breakaway - NYC 2 nt cruise to nowhere 01/2015
HAL Veendam Boston to Bermuda 6/2015
NCL Escape Eastern Carib. 1/2016
Carnival Pride 7/2016 Baltimore to Bahamas

Well behaved women rarely make history.
12,933 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
You're all very welcome. I've been to 29 of the islands, and many of them have these trees. Most don't have signs posted.
I have posted this thread on 6 different boards (RCCL, HAL, NCL, Princess, Celebrity, Disney, Carnival, & Crystal) but it looks like some of them have been pulled or moved, so please pass the word being some pax don't go to the Ports Board at all.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising the world since 1980 on various lines~~~
South Carolina
26,059 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Originally posted by alphakitty
There is one of these trees at Trunk Bay beach on St. John. It was all the way to the left on the beach, facing the water. There was a sign posted just beneath the tree that explained to stay away from it! I wish I'd taken a photo of the tree/sign. I'd never heard of it before...we stayed away from it for sure!
We saw that same tree! It wasn't even raining BUT we stayed FAR away from it!

sea-cruise! Thank you for this WARNING!
Barbados
26,596 Posts
Joined May 2007
The correct spelling is MANCHINEEL...
Grows on the West(leeward) Coast only(in Barbados!)
You won't see them on Barbados' South or East coasts, for some strange reason..

Many hotels post warning labels on the trees.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ottawa, On, Cda./Naples, Fl. USA
6,086 Posts
Joined May 2004
Thanks for the warning.
Kathy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tomko2 D+
Live, Laugh & Love.