School photo ID okay to board with along with BC for a 16 year old?

dirtgirl

I know a passport is best, but they don't have one, and are sailing in 2 weeks on a closed loop cruise.

The 16 year old does not have a driver's license, or State issued photo ID.

Carnival says that school photo ID is okay for 16, 17, and 18 year olds. Has anyone actually known someone in that age group to board with just school ID and a Birth Certificate?

In the State of OHIO, with a birth certificate and a social security card you can go to the license bureau and get a state identification card (both me and DH had to sign), now it takes only one parent. You have to get one sooner or later, because you need it to get your temporary drivers permit, and then when you do get a drivers license they take your ID, and issue you your license.

Our DD has had a State ID card since she was 8.

We fly alot (even though children did not need picture IDs then), and even though we had passports it was a form of picture ID. There was a more important reason:

If for any reason she would have turned up missing, her picture is in the state data base, and the police could immediately pull it up when an Amber Alert was issued and know immediately what she looked like on their in car computers.

God forbid, nothing happened, but, that was the reason our school system pushed for them in the second grade.

Safe travels.

Sue and crew

Yes....under 16 doesn't even need a photo ID....Schools id's are fine. Or, you could get the DMV ID...it's not a DL, but it is state issued...but the school ID will be ok.

The child IS 16.

And Carol asked if anyone has used one in Mexico.

Have you personally used one in Mexico CbSea?

I haven't ever seen it. So I guess I need to ask the parents of teens here - what do YOU do when your teens don't have a driver's license?

I don't think we've ever talked about this and it's a good question.

Our DD's have passports for travel. But before we went to Paris last March, we got our 15 year old a state-issued ID card from our local Motor Vehicles Dept. She is very tall and looks 18, and it was useful to be able to prove her age (and get youth admission prices) without carrying her passport everywhere. It was a tip that DH read on TripAdvisor. It cost us $12.

Now she's 12 days away from getting a driver's license. :eek::eek::eek:

I was wondering about this too and was told the same thing by Carnival. My oldest is 17 and does have his learners permit but it is just a piece of paper, no photo. At first we were going to go with the school ID but honestly, it made me worry so I went to DMV and got him a non-drivers ID.

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

I would not consider/assume a school ID to qualify as government issued. At least, I wouldn't bet my cruise on it.

There is a special exemption for "groups of children" ... "under age 19" but that doesn't seem to be the case here. That includes school groups, so maybe that is why Carnival gave you that answer.

Quote:"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

I would not consider/assume a school ID to qualify as government issued. At least, I wouldn't bet my cruise on it.

There is a special exemption for "groups of children" ... "under age 19" but that doesn't seem to be the case here. That includes school groups, so maybe that is why Carnival gave you that answer.

I would consider/assume a school ID to qualify as government issued based on this:

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/t/167859.aspx

Quote:

Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

Driver’s License

Driver’s Permit

School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

I would even bet my cruise on it :rolleyes:.

I would consider/assume a school ID to qualify as government issued based on this:

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/t/167859.aspx

Quote:

Photo Identification

A non-expired Government-Issued Photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

Driver’s License

Driver’s Permit

School/Student I.D (acceptable for guests 16/17/18 years of age)

Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

I would even bet my cruise on it :rolleyes:.

Well, that's fair enough. :D

Sorry, it didn't occur to me to search in the Carnival forums for immigration information. :eek:

BTW, here is the original source from goccl:

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/traveldocs.html

That might carry a bit more weight at the pier than Mary's cut&paste.

No offense to Mary...

• 1 month later...

We've always had non-driver ID for our children for traveling. The youngest to get one ( in our family) was about 2.5 months old. The ladies at the DMV had a copy of his picture hanging in the office because they had such a chuckle over their youngest client. We were traveling to Mexico for a land based vacation and I just didn't want to have to worry about crossing back to the US with a newborn - given all the child trafficking problems. In my state they cost $12 and take 5 minutes to make.

Archived