Help Plan our Port Day in Dominica

cessnabmw

We will be on the Carnival Sunshine in December (Journeys cruise) and have a day in Dominica from 9am - 6pm.

2 Adults and 2 Kids (8 & 10)

We enjoy the beach, sight seeing, nature and food.

We have previously been to St. Kitts (rented a car and drove all around the island), St Maarten (rented a car and drove all around the island).

We are all physically able and want to make the most of the day here.

What would you suggest to do? Rent a car?

What places are a must see?

Thanks!

Check out the tours offered by Levi Barron and Bumpiing Tours.

http://bumpiingtours.com/cruise-ship-visitors.html

A lot easier than renting a car and trying to find your way to all the sights. Not even sure if there are car rentals available.

Levi and his crew do a wonderful job and you can find some pretty active things to do for the kids.

We will be on the Carnival Sunshine in December (Journeys cruise) and have a day in Dominica from 9am - 6pm.

Dominica is not really a beach island. On the other hand sight-seeing and nature are spectacular.

You've got hot springs, dormant (?) volcanos, waterfalls, rainforest.

I recommend an excursion which takes in several of the sites. Several companies offer tours.

Dominica is not really a beach island. On the other hand sight-seeing and nature are spectacular.

You've got hot springs, dormant (?) volcanos, waterfalls, rainforest.

I recommend an excursion which takes in several of the sites. Several companies offer tours.

Agree with the above! Beautiful island but not good for beaches. Lots of other wonderful nature things.

You might want to think twice about renting a car (even if possible).

The road conditions are absolutely AWFUL! :eek:

LuLu

• 3 weeks later...

We have previously been to St. Kitts (rented a car and drove all around the island),

I'm sorry I can't help you with your plans in Dominca, still researching my own self. However, I'm hoping maybe you could help me with my St. Kitts. Plans. Could you please tell me who you rented a car from if you remember, and was it worth it? I would also love to hear about what you did there. Thanks bunches. :)

Edited by Bluemoon319
typo

I'm sorry I can't help you with your plans in Dominca, still researching my own self. However, I'm hoping maybe you could help me with my St. Kitts. Plans. Could you please tell me who you rented a car from if you remember, and was it worth it? I would also love to hear about what you did there. Thanks bunches. :)

Anytime!

We rented from Avis. Then drove to Brimstone Fortress. Drove all around the island, went to cockelshell beach, then returned the car and walked around Bassettere.

We are sailing on Celebrity Summit first week of January.

Just booked one of Levi Baron's Bumpiing Tours called Roseau Valley Treasure/3 Waters.

It includes snorkeling at Champagne Reef, swim at Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls Botanical gardens & scenic overlooks.

It's 5 to 6 hours.

We used Levi about five years ago on a prior port stop while cruising.

Everything was top notch!

From the recent reviews I've read, Bumpiing has maintained these high standards & so we've booked them again.

We are sailing on Celebrity Summit first week of January.

Just booked one of Levi Baron's Bumpiing Tours called Roseau Valley Treasure/3 Waters.

It includes snorkeling at Champagne Reef, swim at Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls Botanical gardens & scenic overlooks.

It's 5 to 6 hours.

We used Levi about five years ago on a prior port stop while cruising.

Everything was top notch!

From the recent reviews I've read, Bumpiing has maintained these high standards & so we've booked them again.

Thanks. What is the price of this tour?

• 3 weeks later...

We went to screw spa and loved it. It is hot sulfa pools in the rain forest owned by a man named Screw. There were six pools varying from hot to cold and had Caribbean music piped in to the trees in the rainforest.

Edited by hladygirl

• 2 weeks later...
We went to screw spa and loved it. It is hot sulfa pools in the rain forest owned by a man named Screw. There were six pools varying from hot to cold and had Caribbean music piped in to the trees in the rainforest.
Did you find it easy to get a cab to Screw's Spa? Did they come back for you? Cost of cab would be helpful and how much time did you spend at the spa. Trying to get a group from our roll call together.

Do not rent a car. I have to recommend the carnival tour that goes to titou gorge and the hot springs. Go to the excursion desk...it said you had to be 16 but when my husband went down there, the said that was a mistake. We too, our kids age 11,13,14,17 on this tour and they loved it! We booked it cause I wanted the hot springs but they enjoyed it as much as I did! Titou gorge is a must see, pirates of the Caribbean was filmed there. It was the highlight of my kids cruise, they absolutely loved it. We were blessed that our st kitts port was cancelled due to winds and replaced with Dominica, it is our favorite island and we were so excited to be able to take the kids...,they don't cruise there much anymore. It was our third time, that is the first island I try to get to if possible...beautiful!

Levi Baron / Bumpiing Tours is the way to go. Used him twice - once with kids in tow and once without. Great tour. We hit Champagne Reef, Morne Bruce, Botanical Gardens, Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls and the Hot Springs.

Cheers, P:)

• 2 weeks later...

I also endorse Levi Baron and Bumpiing Tours. With the storm damage they recently had, their roads will take a long time to get fixed and you will be better off going around with a guided tour.

And I'll take the opportunity to plug for the relief efforts in Dominica.

http://www.opm.gov.dm/

Go to the "Erika Recovery" section.

Thanks,

• 3 months later...
I'm a solo traveler. Will this tour be at the pier or must you reserve ahead? Do I need to form a group on my roll call? Thanks!

Did you mean the tour with Levi ( Bumpiing tours)? If so no need to form a group. I went with Levi solo 5 or so years ago and going with his tour again this year with my sister.

I would book before leaving and he will add you to the other people who book. He doesn't require a certain # before booking with him.

Highly recommended. Very excited to see Dominica again. Hated when they dropped it off the Carnival Southern itinerary. Absolutely beautiful place.

Edited by dolfndreams

Did you mean the tour with Levi ( Bumpiing tours)? If so no need to form a group. I went with Levi solo 5 or so years ago and going with his tour again this year with my sister.

I would book before leaving and he will add you to the other people who book. He doesn't require a certain # before booking with him.

Highly recommended. Very excited to see Dominica again. Hated when they dropped it off the Carnival Southern itinerary. Absolutely beautiful place.

We're on this cruise, too. I have about given up on a planned tour here. But, just emailed for info on this company. If this doesn't work, will hope for a taxi tour.

Which tour are you doing here?

I'm thinking I'll just get off the ship and see what's available. I'm not a fan of ship excursions. They're short, crowded, regimented and expensive.

Me either! I know they have to pay their help to assist us, so it is more money. But, I'm not a fan of a large bus tour. Much prefer 4 to 12 persons, with a max of 20!

I heard back from Bumpiing Tours, not available. I waited too long to book. A taxi tour it will be!

• 3 weeks later...
Check out the tours offered by Levi Barron and Bumpiing Tours.

http://bumpiingtours.com/cruise-ship-visitors.html

A lot easier than renting a car and trying to find your way to all the sights. Not even sure if there are car rentals available.

Levi and his crew do a wonderful job and you can find some pretty active things to do for the kids.

I hadn't booked anything and the night before I got online on the ship and emailed LEvi. HE got back to me right away and offered his Trafalgar falls/Titou Gorge/Champagne Reef tour for $50pp.

It was great. We had Kelvin as our tour guide and really liked him!

debbie