All Things Splendor

I looked for a thread on the Splendor where people could post their ideas, favorite places, ideas on food and drinks and what they like to do on Splendor. I couldn't find anything so I thought those of you who love Splendor might like a place to post your ideas and suggestions. I won't be on Splendor until 12/10, so I hope those of you who like this ship will help me out. Thanks!

I like the Lido deck on the Splendor, I am not a fan of the normal stadium style. Plus the hot tubs on deck 10 above the Lido are really nice and usually available in the evenings (atleast my sailing they were). I also liked the cabins, they were very clean and up to date. Even though it is one of the larger Carnival ships we never experienced overly long lines. I was on the Splendor last May and will be on her again In January, very excited! Enjoy your cruise!

Matt

If you like latin music, the Latina Fiesta show is a must-see (if they still have it). The FIRST pool party is the best so don't miss it. The last time we went, they had 2 pool parties back to back and the turnout wasn't good at the second night.

The midnight Mexican buffet is aweome (I think it's on the second pool party night). The Indian place (Tabdoor, I believe) is great if you like Indian food. Don't miss the rotisserie place cuz it's sorta hidden and many people don't even know it exists.

Do NOT purchase any city tour excursions at PV -- they are more like shopping tours, mostly taking you to pre-determined placed to shop. Not much sight seeing. Get a cab for a few bucks and go to the Malecon and explore it yourself.

Check out my Splendor videos when you get a chance. The link is below.

My favorite things about Splendor were the Serenity Deck, the Lido Liner Pool area, the gym and how comfy the bed was. The steakhouse was so good, we ate there twice. The Tandoori Grill and Deli were my favorite choices for lunch.

For my complete review, follow the link in my signature.

The food stations on the lido are great, the latin band in the cigar lounge was a nice change, and the open aft deck with the hot tubs, pool and bar was awesome.

They need to use the open aft design more!:cool:

We were on it last Aug., when hurricane Jimena forced a change in 2 ports. We are going back on it Aug. 22/2010.

We had an inside spa cabin last time, and this time booked a balcony spa cabin. My wife and I loved the spa, and went to use it every day.

The MDR was good. This time we chose anytime dining. We tried the steak house last time, and found the lobster and steak both very salty. Not sure if we will do the steak house again. The wine tasting was good, and we'd do that again.

Last time we went to Cabo. It was good for snorkeling and diving, but time in port kind of short. This time hope to enjoy PV and Maz.

I looked for a thread on the Splendor where people could post their ideas, favorite places, ideas on food and drinks and what they like to do on Splendor. I couldn't find anything so I thought those of you who love Splendor might like a place to post your ideas and suggestions. I won't be on Splendor until 12/10, so I hope those of you who like this ship will help me out. Thanks!

Thanks for starting the thread. We just got off the Dream and now can focus on our next cruise, the Splendor on 9/26/10. Nice to have advice from cruisers who have been on the ship or have info on the Port as we will be arriving 3 days early and staying on Long Beach......keep that info coming;)

The food stations on the lido are great, the latin band in the cigar lounge was a nice change, and the open aft deck with the hot tubs, pool and bar was awesome.

P1010913.JPG

P1010913.JPG

Does look a little boring back there....I wonder if they miss the retractable roof feature on these ships. We were on the Victory and Destiny during a bout of nasty weather and that roof over the aft pool and whirlpool was really the only thing that made any of the whirlpools and pools usable. The mid pools and whirlpools were open to the elements and it was windy and pouring rain. Inside the aft covered portion it was nice.

Does look a little boring back there....I wonder if they miss the retractable roof feature on these ships. We were on the Victory and Destiny during a bout of nasty weather and that roof over the aft pool and whirlpool was really the only thing that made any of the whirlpools and pools usable. The mid pools and whirlpools were open to the elements and it was windy and pouring rain. Inside the aft covered portion it was nice.

That was taken as soon as we boarded...not many people on board yet....LOL

The center main lido pool area had the retractable dome.

It made that much larger area useful during bad weather.

Once underway the view is awesome with the open aft.

I like the Lido deck on the Splendor, I am not a fan of the normal stadium style. Plus the hot tubs on deck 10 above the Lido are really nice and usually available in the evenings (atleast my sailing they were). I also liked the cabins, they were very clean and up to date. Even though it is one of the larger Carnival ships we never experienced overly long lines. I was on the Splendor last May and will be on her again In January, very excited! Enjoy your cruise!

Matt

Matt,

We were on the 5/3/09 sailing that was redirected to Canada also. We booked 2 days before it left and it was a great cruise! Since the ship was sailing about 1/2 full, there was never a line for anything and the food and service were great. We loved the music onboard and the serenity areas (when it wasn't raining) except for screaming children above it playing mini-golf. The adults only pool and hot tubs on the aft were very relaxing.

I wished the buffet was open longer hours and had more food available in the evening.

Actually, the Lido Liner Bar and Pool on the aft of the ship was just fantastic -- the photo doesn't show what it's like when all of the lounge chairs are set out -- the environment is very cool, mellow, adult. Back there was also the Deli and the Tandoori Grill and a great little bar, so everything you needed was just a few steps away. One of Splendor's best features for sure!

We didn't hit any bad weather even though we were avoiding Hurricane Jemina on our voyage -- but the main pool in the center of the lido deck has the retractable roof.

Is there a big difference in the main dining rooms..does anyone have a preferance as far as seating..If we ask a table for 4 are they good about honoring your request..Thanks for starting this thread..have a great day..Lis

Edited by lisa e

Have been on Splendor twice, once to Canada during H1N1 and again to Mexico. No real difference in the dining rooms except front one, Black Pearl is somewhat smaller. The entrance to the Black Pearl can get crowded at meal time because it's entrance is under the stairs in the main lobby (atrium).

Our advice, grab a seat and a drink and wait until it thins out. They will still feed you if you are at the tail end of the line.;)

Tandoori food was a great change and the Rotisserie is the best for lunch because it's quiet and the chicken, baked potatoes and mac and cheese are great.

Ignore any comments about the decor. Yes it's pink. Yes it's pink zebra circles. So what? Great ship, nice crew. Nice little bar areas. Take the Behind the Fun tour. The view from the bridge and talking with the captain are worth every penny.

P1010913.JPG

We spent a lot of time back there;):D..guess that could be expected with 6 Sea days out of a 7 day cruise:rolleyes:

I agree the OPEN AFT DESIGN is what makes the SPLENDOR a must do. Reminds me of my favorite class the SPIRIT class. There are also pics of the SPLENDOR in my WEBSHOTS (below).

Not sure if they're still onboard, but the rock bank VOODOO was super spectacular. The lead singer doing Janis Joplin's songs was an exact duplicate of her voice and style.:)

Greatest embarcation area Carnival has, IMHO. :D

I agree the OPEN AFT DESIGN is what makes the SPLENDOR a must do. Reminds me of my favorite class the SPIRIT class. There are also pics of the SPLENDOR in my WEBSHOTS (below).

Not sure if they're still onboard, but the rock bank VOODOO was super spectacular. The lead singer doing Janis Joplin's songs was an exact duplicate of her voice and style.:)

Greatest embarcation area Carnival has, IMHO. :D

I just saw your signature and realized I am been looking at you pictures on webshots and they are great!! I bookmarked your pages awhile ago and enjoyed your slideshows. Unfortunately Webshots "lost" some of our pictures and they don't have journal style. Even so I tried to upload our new cruise on the Dream and the upload failed each time. I don't have time to play with it so, I uploaded everything to SmugMug instead. They now have our cruise journals and I am not limited to captions, I can actually write as much as I want. Anyway, I am sure we will watch your slideshows again as our cruise gets closer.

We spent a lot of time back there;):D..guess that could be expected with 6 Sea days out of a 7 day cruise:rolleyes:

hey...if we all can spend 6 sea days trapped on a ship and get off and have nothing but good to say about it, must mean something...LOL

We got to see every inch of that ship that week. :p

I don't know why they have not ordered another ship in this class.

(I still say sitting in those hot tubs during an alaska itin would be awesome.)

Edited by kelz66

I just saw your signature and realized I am been looking at you pictures on webshots and they are great!! I bookmarked your pages awhile ago and enjoyed your slideshows. Unfortunately Webshots "lost" some of our pictures and they don't have journal style. Even so I tried to upload our new cruise on the Dream and the upload failed each time. I don't have time to play with it so, I uploaded everything to SmugMug instead. They now have our cruise journals and I am not limited to captions, I can actually write as much as I want. Anyway, I am sure we will watch your slideshows again as our cruise gets closer.

I'm so glad you enjoyed my WEBSHOTS. I'm also thinking of leaving WEBSHOTS and going to SMUGMUG. You should make a copy of all your photo files and then when someone screws up, you either have them on your hard drive (and if that fails), you'll have them to download on to a new computer and then on to a new photo site.:D

I also went to your SMUGMUG site and WOW ! ! You take a lot of very good pics. :)I also like the format of SMUGMUG with a comments section, etc. for each photo. I make my comments on my WEBSHOTS part of the file name, so I can easily pull up any photo I want from my hard drive without trying to figure out what innane number goes with what photo. :D

I'm also PLATINUM, so when I board I race through the ship and try to get as many pics as I can before the "masses" arrive and blurr or block off so much. Sometimes I get a little in a hurry and some of my pics are blurred. :rolleyes:

Thanks again, for your comments.

Edited by glrounds

I'm so glad you enjoyed my WEBSHOTS. I

I'm also PLATINUM, so when I board I race through the ship and try to get as many pics as I can before the "masses" arrive and blurr or block off so much. Sometimes I get a little in a hurry and some of my pics are blurred. :rolleyes:

Thanks and I do the same with my Platinum status while my hubby naps on the comfy beds - we slept the best on the cruise ships - love the aft rocking effect.

Maybe we'll bump into each other racing around to get our empty ship pictures.

Happy cruising