Valetta, Malta

Lorenzo1

Hi- We are booked on Seabourn Sojourn Aug. 22 out of Monte Carlo - 11 days with an overnight in Valetta, Malta. We were there briefly on an earlier cruise. What interesting things are there to see / attend when spending an overnight? Music venues, museums, great restaurants- sights? Thanks!

If you have not visited the Cathedral take the guided tour to hear the history of the Knights Templar, also worth a visit is the Church of St Paul's Shipwreck in St Paul's Street - it's only a tiny church but fascinating - apparently they have the finger bone of St Paul (one of the 5,000 still in existence!):D

Hi- We are booked on Seabourn Sojourn Aug. 22 out of Monte Carlo - 11 days with an overnight in Valetta, Malta. We were there briefly on an earlier cruise. What interesting things are there to see / attend when spending an overnight? Music venues, museums, great restaurants- sights? Thanks!

Seabourn makes the huge mistake of stopping in Valletta on a Sunday. The co-cathedral and other major churches are CLOSED to tourists on Sundays. Google the Co-Cathedral website. If you want to see it, I would recommend arriving a little before one of the Masses and looking quietly arond the church (or sit for Mass if you wish). Guiding is NOT allowed on Sundays.

You arrive in Valletta Saturday afternoon. Check the website for closing times for the Cathedral. You might be able to see it before it closes. SB is at the pier directly in front to the elevator into town and then it is a short walk to the church.

Edited by marazul

Take a taxi to the original capital, Mdina, for a nighttime visit. For a small town, it is quite impressive - especially all lit up. And, the temperature will be more agreeable than in the daytime August heat.

Don't take a taxi .... take the local bus ... costs 70 cents and the bus is 70 years old and in perfect condition. Only way to get around Malta!

Buses are cheap, but the schedule late on a weekend evening will be less than ideal. You would also have to make at least one transfer from the cruise port since you would take the local bus to the main bus depot about a km away - of course you could walk that first bit but it is uphill. The hassle factor should be considered.

Taxis are parked outside the cruise port and will take you to Mdina for 20 Euros or less (per cab, not per person).

Email or Call Tartarun Fish Restaurant in Marsaxlokk.

You will not regret it. Discovered it because a famous local chef where I live had a Foodie cruise tour and he took the group here. While I was not on that tour, my friend who was on the tour recommended it to me. I emailed the restaurant, and the manager arranged for a taxi to pick us up at the port, wait for us, give us a nice tour after lunch, and return us to the ship.

I think that the restaurant is only about 30 minutes from the port.

Our favourite place to eat in Valletta is Palazzo Preca in Strait Street, but suggest you would need to book. Also another vote for Tartarun in Marsaxlokk, and agree that you would need a taxi to take you there as the buses are very hit and miss and don't run there in the evenings.