Hobart - Visit to MONA

Flipper133

We will be visiting Hobart next month on a cruise on Carnival Spirit.

Hiring an Avis car and doing our thing with another couple from Sydney.

One option I have been seriously looking at is to visit the Museum of Old and New Art (MONA)

My research on this place throws up many many reviews that are extreme to say the least. People either love the place, or they hate it. There is considerable discrepancy in views on whether it is a place for families (we will have our 8yo granddaughter with us).

From my personal perspective I would like to form my own view, but I am a little unsure about the others in our party. They say they will be happy with whatever I go for... but I remain a little uneasy.

I have other options (Mt Wellington and the South Coast) and I already plan to visit the Cadbury visitors centre (granddaughters choice) + Salamanca place; Barrack Point and an old mariner pub.

Nevertheless I would welcome comments from anybody who has been to MONA and has a sensible view they would like to share.

cheers

Your research is correct. I went in December 2013 while in Hobart on the Diamond Princess. The passengers queued for the ferry ride back to Hobart were adamant and vocal in their entirely opposing views. I was one who loved it.

The building is a wonder. Many of the installations for The Red Queen which will still be on when you are there are interactive. There are some more traditional paintings, drawings and sculptures scattered throughout the rooms. There were many families with children , being a Sunday and none I saw were doing the screaming whine of "when can we go home". There are no printed signs to struggle to read. You get a carry/walk about mini ipad style reader - and you can add comments. This is included in the entry fee. You start on the top floor and wend your way down four floors to the basement via various stairs or several lifts. The Sarcophagus room was a bit scary but an experience - there were several like this where you were encouraged to experience with all senses rather than just look and think. Cloaca is odd - an installation that mimics what happens inside us as we digest food and excrete the result. Oddly beautiful with the vague odour of a fruity burp. The trampoline and modified pping pong tables were popular with children. The terrace café sells good café fare and excellent coffee at the usual museum prices (inflated). Beer and wine also available with an excellent view across the water.

I did the ferry trip there and back and part of my enjoyment was the ride. Friends who went by car were less impressed but they also have more traditional views on art and museums in general. Do some research on their web site and decide for yourself.

I uploaded some photos to Photobucket. Hope the link works.

http://s1082.photobucket.com/user/cjm660/library/MONA

Forgot to add. If you share a sense of humour with your friends and are not easily shocked, you will enjoy the visit and definitely have lots to talk about over dinner. Your other intensions (chocolates and Salamanca place etc) are all traditional tourist places. MONA is not.

Edited by Murgat

I too have read mixed reviews of MONA. My tastes are quirky and eclectic, so I regret not having gone there during my recent port call at Hobart. The Taste Festival was going on at the time and I went to Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary and Richmond so couldn't fit MONA in. I adored Hobart and if I return one day, will definitely go there, even if I have to go alone!

Hi,

As you said some love Mona, some hate it, there are however many displays not suitable for children ( around 20%) but are not marked as resticted, so you may have to steer your grandchild away from certain exhibits, but it certainly does what it sets out to do, and that is getting people to talk about what is art.

Cheers maree

I am a local, I've been to MONA a few times and really enjoy it. Its meant to be thought provoking...to shock to a degree and I think it delivers on all levels.

I find the collection to be quite amazing, the building itself is worth the visit..lus its free to enter for us locals, which again is amazing in itself..its one mans gift to our country and its Australia's largest private collection museum.

I'd definitely visit there, plus Cadbury which is nearby for the little one, but be warned that there isnt a guided tour there, its just basically a video and gift shop these days, used to be great when you got to tour the factory with tastings.

Battery Point and Salamance Place are both nice, Richmond as well...plus you get great views from the top of Mt Wellington on a clear day.

Thanks everyone for there comments and suggestions.

I guess I am going to have to just provide my group with as much info as I can and see what they come back to me with.

We have several alternative options so not fretting.... and if the worst comes to worst we can just plonk ourselves into the beer garden at Preachers Pub at Battery Point :D

My 8 seater People mover from Avis is only costing me $10 an hour so I am streets ahead of anything that the ship arranges. :D

BTW...We have been to Cadbury's twice before... once when we did the factory tour , the last time when we just got the PR stuff. Pity about all the OHS issues.

Edited by Flipper133

Preachers Bar and restaurant is just off Salamanca Place..never been there, but theres lots of outside dining and beer and wine places in Salamanca Square , nice area, just off Salamanca Place.

When were last at Mona there were lots of families, children seemed to find plenty to interest them, there are quite alot of security throughout all of the exhibits and we did see some recommending that certain exhibits may not be suitable for younger ones, it was then up to the parents whether they entered.

When it first opened there were alot more adult exhibits than there are now..we hardly saw any a few months ago. Some of the exhibits change regularly.

Deb

Tks Deb...

Went to Salamanca a couple of years ago when in Hobart for a finance conference (yes "bean counters" have been known to let their hair down sometimes :p).

A previous time we went on "pub Hop" bus tour...visited some fascinating Hobart pubs that have survived since yesteryear.... been trying to find some by trolling through the internet...but nothing rings a bell. Preachers however seems to fit the scene...an old mariners house that was a pub and then a curry house and now back to being a pub. If we go there we will probably have to make it last call, as I will still need to drive back to the Avis depot :(

cheers

• 4 weeks later...