Good experience with travel insurance

I hope this is ok under the guidelines, I am not trying to drum up business for a company, but we had a very good experience with TravelEx insurance. My husband booked a side trip to Machu Picchu, very expensive, on a South America cruise which started in February. Then he got sick the day before, and he was quarantined in his cabin for the day. Expensive loss for the non-refundable ticket, though Princess did take off some of the charge. He filed his claim in early April for the reimbursement. Three weeks later, a check for the large amount arrived! We were both pleasantly surprised. We thought we would probably have to fight it, because the image of insurance companies is "covers everything except what actually happens." So, this insurance did "what it says on the tin," as the British say. I think they deserve a shout-out. A happy experience for us.

Edited by paluni

Thanks for the information on Travelex insurance I am planning a world cruise in 2016 on Cunard and I am worried their travel protection plan does not have enough medical insurance coverage. My hubby and I are on medicare and I am not sure medicare is covered out of the country. Gotta spend time researching this

• 7 months later...

I also had a positive experience with this company and now use them every time. My daughter became ill on the last night of a cruise and needed medical attention. Not only did they cover all medical charges on the ship (including x-rays and several bags of IV fluid), they also covered several costly cell charges that arose from having to make arrangements to take her from the port directly to a hospital once we docked.

Thanks for the information on Travelex insurance I am planning a world cruise in 2016 on Cunard and I am worried their travel protection plan does not have enough medical insurance coverage. My hubby and I are on medicare and I am not sure medicare is covered out of the country. Gotta spend time researching this

First: "Regular Medicare" does *NOT* cover out-of-country medical bills, with very few exceptions (these most likely won't help you).

So you either need to check if you have some sort of supplemental policy that specifically does include this coverage, or get separate travel insurance.

We had excellent service from our very first time using travel insurance, from TravelInsured.

We had a special celebration cruise/land combo planned, and in less than 2 weeks from departure, DH had a medical emergency.

Everything was cancelled.

Although we could have "afforded" the loss, this was a major trip (most expensive since our honeymoon), and while we were dealing with some serious medical issues, it was awfully nice not to need to fret about the "lost money", and to know instead that we'd get the money back to purchase the same trip another time.

Yes, they required appropriate documentation, but once we had all of that to them, we got a phone call about a week later that the check was being sent, and... a week later the check arrived.

You might want to start reading the CruiseCritic thread specifically for travel insurance:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

GeezerCouple

We too use Turavelexinsurance and have had good experiences with them. We like that they act as the primary provider.

We have also taken full world cruses and have used their plan plus supplemented it with Medjet in terms of evacuation insurance.

Keith