Can I get my laundry returned 'undried'?

cpl100

I wash a lot of clothes by hand on a cruise. I wrap in a towel to absorb most of the water. I have clothespins with a hanger on the top; clip undies, etc. and hang on towel bars. A lot of the clothes I bring are generally the wrinkle free kind for travel and dry quickly (I put larger pieces on hangers and hang on shower stall). I hate for my clothes to be put in a dryer. On our upcoming cruise (first cruise with husband), he is already having a fit about me doing my laundry in the bathroom. I can't wait to see his reaction the first time he sees the bathroom 'decorated' with clothes:eek:

It's not just a matter of items possibly blowing off, there's also a threat from illegal smokers ignoring rules, throwing butts over the side, endangering everyone, possibly lighting anything left out there. There are frequent warnings in the daily reminding passengers to bring everything in when they leave the stateroom.

when we first got the free laundry perk on our elite status, we sent our shirts, nightgowns, underwear. everything came back slightly shrunken and smelled funny. we had to replace most of the shirts. i don't recommend the laundry service on celebrity.

I have a slightly different issue with the ships laundry, in addition to the others mentioned.

I figured out that I'm very allergic to whatever they use on board. The rash I ended up with was very painful. My solution was to take a small bottle of HE Tide in a baggy and wash a couple of things every day. AQ has a pullout line in the shower that worked just fine.

Judy

Holland America has laundry rooms on some, not all, ships. You might think, "who wants to do laundry on vacation?" But they are really handy on transatlantics after you've been traveling in Europe for weeks.

For hand wash on long cruise trips, I take one of those umbrella-type hangers with multiple clips and put it on a rail or bar. By the way, Purex all-in-one sheets are handy for sink laundry. Cut a sheet into 4 - 5 strips, and each one makes a lot of suds. They avoid the need to bring granulated or liquid detergents. I've had better luck with this than with Woolite packets or those itty bitty travel soap sheets.

Please don't tell me you are bringing an iron......no, no, no. It is way too dangerous and not permitted. You would be putting the entire ship in danger, yikes!

Who said anything about an iron and why would you jump to that conclusion?

Anything I wash gets rolled up inside a towel and I jump on it, get my gym work out and the clothes get a good squeeze in the towel. Have done this for the past 14 years of hand washing while travelling.

I only travel with hand luggage so always need to wash, still prefer this method to taking a large suitcase full of clothes.

By memory carnival also have laundries.

I considered this once but figured it was drawing outside the lines too much. So I just wash in the sink and hang things up. For some reason drying clothes in my cabin is more appealing than using a ship laundrymat.

While having the ship do my laundry is not perfect, I do like the perfectly folded clothes that are returned. Wimens clothing is often too delicate for that treatment.

I hang in shower and in the cabin. This of course does not work during monsoon type rains. In that case, we not only had to use the blow dryer on clothes but also shoes each evening.

They may be able to do it but I doubt it (see above post). The reason is that laundry is washed in very large batches, yours along with others, and they would have to fish out your clothes between the wash and dry cycle rather than just transfer all the items.

Just curious if they wash all the clothes in one big pile how do they know whos clothes are whos.:confused:

Wow, I'm interested to hear what ship you had that experience on. I've never had my clothes come back perfectly folded, no matter the ship. Sort of folded would be more like it.

We have cruised HAL and bought the unlimited laundry package for our 2 28 day cruises. Clothes were wrapped in tissue paper in a wicker basket and perfectly folded. Others, if requested, were hung on hangers. It was a highlight of the cruise not having to worry about laundry ;)

On our last cruise on the Summitt, I was disappointed when our clothes came back with the color clothes haviing a "dirty" look to it. All the clothes were probably put in together and the colors ran. This was the first time that this has happened to me. I was very disappointed.

We always have a few larger zip lock bags with us traveling, very useful for washing clothes as well. Just a bit of shampoo with water and clothes in the bag, zip close and shake it up (sort of like the agitator in a washing machine). Not as messy as the sink. Rinsing in the shower. The good old towel roll and we have a Rick Steves clothes line, (it's braided), so you can hang a lot more from it, also velco end to attach to more things, (like magnets). Wish that the ships had heated towel bars, now that would really help! Edited by sunnygidget

[quote name='sunnygidget']Wish that the ships had heated towel bars, now that would really help![/QUOTE]

Great idea!

We had a heated towel bar on a 24 passenger barge in the Netherlands -- worked like a charm! We rinsed out our cycle gear, socks and undies before heading to the dining room for supper, and most of the time everything was warm and dry and ready for our ride by next morning.

[quote name='judyfssw']On our last cruise on the Summitt, I was disappointed when our clothes came back with the color clothes haviing a "dirty" look to it. All the clothes were probably put in together and the colors ran. This was the first time that this has happened to me. I was very disappointed.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for this info. We will be on SUmmit for 2 weeks in a few weeks and this will be first as elite. Told my husband we have free laundry, x amount of pieces, and he was all excited. But, since I do all the laundry at home I figured there would be issues not having it done to my standards. I air dry a lot of my clothes, am very particular about colors running, and clothes shrinking in huge hot dryers. So, he can send his T- shirts and undies since he's not particular at all!!

This is our biggest fear with laundry on a cruise. Having the ship do the laundry and washing everything in scorching hot water along with drying in a hot dryer. We dry nothing at home except for our towels. So I am sure the cruise line would shrink all of our clothes.

We aren't taking that chance. We are actually paying to check two suitcases each on our upcoming B2B. Sure it costs a lot of money ($140 extra round trip for two second checked bags), but I would rather do that than pay to replace a bunch of clothes that no longer fit.

On ship laundry may work for people that regularly wash and dry their clothes, but we find our clothes last a lot longer by hanging to dry. Of course, at home we have several over the door hangers where we can hang all of our clothes to dry and they are almost always dry by morning. This simply isn't feasible in a small cruise ship cabin. Edited by dioxide45