Gifts from Greece

Vineyard View

We will be in several Greek ports in October. We sail first from Athens. Aside from the standard touristy types of gifts, what are some 'treasures' you found to bring home? Will there be unique 'treasures' on the various Islands or does it make sense to spend time in Athens for this? I am hoping to accomplish some holiday shopping - but do not want it to be time intensive part of our trip! Thank you....

We will be in several Greek ports in October. We sail first from Athens. Aside from the standard touristy types of gifts, what are some 'treasures' you found to bring home? Will there be unique 'treasures' on the various Islands or does it make sense to spend time in Athens for this? I am hoping to accomplish some holiday shopping - but do not want it to be time intensive part of our trip! Thank you....

I had a grea time shopping in Athens and I thought that the prices for things I bought were good. I shopped in the Plaka and surround area as well in some other shops we passed along the way. I bought some great sterling silver jewelry and saw some of the same on Mykonos for a great deal more I will add that.I bought "the eye" in all kinds of ways and you will know when you see. It is the eye in blue given to babies to ward off evil.I found little pieces of hand made glass items also. I did not buy leather. I would say if you see something in Athens that youk really like to have or give...buy.. as you may not find again or it will be more. If less then just say oh she was so wrong:). No matter enjoy. Oh, I did find some ceramics and rugs on a smaller island that I bought...really local.

There's a guy in Athens who makes gorgeous handcrafted sandals. Not sure how they'd do for gifts since he molds them directly to your feet, but I love mine!

Worry beads (komboloi) are a fun local item that can be bought at a variety of price points. They're made of everything from plastic to precious stones.

And it would be helpful to know where else you're going since different regions of Greece have local specialties!

Thanks Karen. I read about 'the eye' - am I wrong to think inexpensive?

Since we have a few days in Athens prior, it is good to know that pricing is favorable there!

Yes,inexpensive,but can be expensive if made into a piece of artwork which is one piece I have done in the blue with SS as a tree and each branch has an eye.It was not break the bank $$,but not a just a few dollars either. You will see if looking for them. BTW, I have a great necklance made with the eye and as I shopped (notably in the Kusadasi bazaar) no one leaped out at me trying to sell me something:D

Thank you for all these ideas. I thought I sent a response with ports - sorry about that.

I look forward to seeing 'the evil eye' creations! That sounds pretty nice! And the sandals - would love to find that person -

And yes, olive products are wonderful - we have a lot of olive trees in my area - but they aren't from Greece!!

So we start in Athens, then - Nafplion, Katakolon, Corfu, Mykonos, Rhodes, & Volos. With Egyptian and Turkey ports in between.

Thanks again!

Thank you for all these ideas. I thought I sent a response with ports - sorry about that.

I look forward to seeing 'the evil eye' creations! That sounds pretty nice! And the sandals - would love to find that person -

And yes, olive products are wonderful - we have a lot of olive trees in my area - but they aren't from Greece!!

So we start in Athens, then - Nafplion, Katakolon, Corfu, Mykonos, Rhodes, & Volos. With Egyptian and Turkey ports in between.

Thanks again!

Just look for local items on the other islands(soaps,hand made fabrics,etc....you will know when you see them. Rhodes had some nice shops and as noted Mykonos was $$$.If you are going to Kusadasi...Turkey was the origin of the ye really...the bazaar is fun..wear your eye!!! Cannto speak for Egypt.

Thank you cberge....I am quite certainty at I will not have a problem spending money!

One question - my DH collects unique, handmade masks. Have any of you noticed any in Athens or the islands? We will probably have more luck in Egypt, but still thought I would ask.

Thanks again!

We got the sandals from the Poet Sandalmaker, Stavros Melissinos. His shop is at Agias Theklas 2, near Monastiraki.

I've seen handmade masks for Carnival, the Greek version of Mardi Gras--not sure if that's the kind of thing you mean? But finding those in October would be very hit or miss.

I bought so many things in Greece I had to pay for another suitcase to bring it all home! In general, I'd say prices are better in Athens for many things, because there is not the added cost of sending them to an island. Here are some ideas.

Olive oil everything - yes, the soaps are lovely, inexpensive and with many varieties. But there are also olive oil hand creams, lotions, and so on. My husband has a bad problem with cracking hands in the cold winter and the olive oil hand cream I brought back was his best product for that.

Women's clothing - Many varieties of blouses, skirts and dresses in a rainbow of colours made of soft wrinkly cotton that washes perfectly in the machine, shake and hang to dry. Wonderful breathable garments for southern cruising or summer wear. And they are beautiful. And reasonably priced.

Sandals and other leather things. Gorgeous. Real leather. Reasonable prices. It was all I could do not to fill my whole suitcase with those beautiful sandals.

The "evil" eye. You'll know it when you see it. Yes a string of them can cost very little. When I saw our taxi driver playing with a set I asked him why he had them. He said, "To keep the bad drivers away from me." Seemed like a good idea to me. Everybody I knew got a set when I came back - hey, maybe it works! I told them they have to keep them in their cars.

Plan to do most of your shopping in the Plaka in Athens. Then at individual stops you can look for special local things. I bought a lovely original watercolour on Mykonos in a terrific little art and craft store. Faces right onto the water, a little farther than most of the souvenir stores. I could have spent $500 in that place on local arts and crafts. Sadly, the budget was running low at that time.

Hope this helps!

Edited by wassup4565

Thank you cberge....I am quite certainty at I will not have a problem spending money!

One question - my DH collects unique, handmade masks. Have any of you noticed any in Athens or the islands? We will probably have more luck in Egypt, but still thought I would ask.

Thanks again!

Of this I have no knowledge,but you can always ask in a store that sells lots of "stuff":D

Hmmm lets see…… I will try to add some new things not already listed…..

Athens - neat leather purses (Plaka area) Some black and white prints of ancient Athens and a silk scarf with the Greek key border and ancient Greek women heads (kind of hard to explain but quite beautiful)

Corfu - bought olive oil soaps, Olive wood bowl, kitchen towels embroidered with different designs (olive & lemon motif). Also purchased a gold coin ring (Alexander the Great) for our son. They will bargain on gold items !!!

Mykonos - last trip there (#3) I purchased some beautiful gold earrings (Byzantine style) with small rubies, sapphires and emeralds. Again, bargain !!!!!!!! Leather goods (sandals, purses, belts etc)

Rhodes - dh bought a gold coin ring like the one we bought for our son on a previous trip but with diamonds around the coin. He always kept saying " I wish I had bought one for myself " so when he saw another one he did :D Didn't see a lot of unusual things here….. except a few stores with some beautiful linens and other textiles.

There are a lot more things I have bought over the years…. liquors, sealed food items etc…..

As for Egypt - which ports ? I purchased a bunch of things while on our 15 day tour a few years ago…….

Such great information!

Flatstanley - have the sandal shop in my iphone 'notes' - that is a 'for sure'

Texancruzer - leather, oh yeah! Gold coin jewelry will interest my DH. When you say 'Bargain' are we talking 25% range, 50%.....do you have a feel for the range?

And Egypt - PT. said (all day tour to Pyramids) and Alexandria

Wassup4565 - an extra suitcase/carry on is in the plan!!

Cberg - Kusadasi bazaar - thanks for that tip!

Appreciate all of your insights!!

Dh is the bargain master ;) He always starts really low - like insult low….. MORE than half of what they are asking. They always roll their eyes and act hurt but then come back with another figure right away (of course). He keeps working with them until he gets to a price he likes. This will depend on how much gold, diamonds or other gems and how intricate etc….. But this will USUALLY be around half the cost or at 75% of the original cost….. There is no set rules. It also helps if you are traveling at the very end of the season (end of Oct or early Nov) which we do a lot.

Oh wow, don't even get me started on Turkish ports !!!! We have 2 rugs and I have some wonderful items from Istanbul and Kusadasi…… kilm purses are neat and usually one of a kind. Silver jewelry from Sirince (a village near Ephesus) crochet and lace work from there too…… oh and 2 leather coats that are like butter they are so soft. Not cow leather….forgot which animal but beautiful.

Egypt. Loved this trip. Would love to go back but not right now. We still stay in touch with our guide via Facebook. Too much turmoil still. But we bought 2 beautiful papyrus. Some jewelry. Fragrant oils. Guyaberas (spelling not right). I'm sure there is more but can't think of them off the top of my head…….

Hope this helps

My first trip to Italy, I bought a pair of leather boots. When I got home and started wearing them, they cracked, no way to repair them according to the shoe repair place, the leather was not processed properly and was not a good value.

I learned my lesson, buy important large purchases close to home, so you can return them if needed.

The same for any large jewelry pieces. I do buy some jewelry abroad (a beautiful jade pendant in Sirince Turkey, and a few pieces of silver in Greece, and a lovely Cameo in Italy) but more souvenirs, than expensive jewelry.

Have a great trip!