Parking at Port of Miami

mafiadon

I have not cruised out of Miami in quite a few years and was wondering if anyone knew if parking at the port was still free for handicap. It was the last time I was there but that was almost 7 years ago. Thanks for any help Linda

I have not cruised out of Miami in quite a few years and was wondering if anyone knew if parking at the port was still free for handicap. It was the last time I was there but that was almost 7 years ago. Thanks for any help Linda

I was researching this for my mother in law. If your vehicle is equipped with ramps, lifts, hand or foot controls you can request a waiver for free parking - the attendant will examine your vehicle and issue the parking waiver. But from what I was reading, if you don't have these items, you only qualify for 2 hours of free parking. Hope this helps!

My Durango does not have these, but the couple of time we were parked at the port we only had to show handicap tag and fill out a short form. It might have changed since we last were there, thanks for the help.

Edited by mafiadon

see:

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/parking-transportation.asp

For Disabled Persons

Notice to Disabled Parking Patrons (Effective November 16, 2013 at 12:01 a.m.)

Based on Ordinance 13-104 That Amends Section 30-338.2 of the Miami–Dade County Code;

Public parking charges will apply to vehicles parking at PortMiami’s public parking facilities that display a disabled parking permit or license tag, except as provided by Florida state law*. However, a vehicle displaying a disabled parking permit or license tag will be allowed up to two (2) hours of free parking. Any vehicle exceeding the two-hour free parking period will be charged for the entire time the vehicle uses the facility.

*In accordance with Florida state law, no parking charges will be imposed on any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls, for use by a person with a disability, or any vehicle displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit.

How to request complimentary disabled parking at PortMiami:

At the exit, advise the parking attendant that you would like a disability waiver of parking.

The parking attendant will examine your vehicle to determine if the driver/vehicle meets the criteria for a parking waiver.

The parking attendant will inspect the vehicle to determine if a Florida Turnpike Toll Exemption sticker is affixed to it and/or if the vehicle has specialized equipment and a hanging tag from the Division of Motor Vehicles verifying the equipment.

Once the parking attendant has verified that a disability waiver of parking is allowable, the driver's name, address and the registration number on the sticker or hanging tag will be recorded on a form by the parking attendant.