Baby carriers?

rosarodriguez

Anyone who has cruised with a toddler (18 month old) would you guys recommend some kind of baby carrier like the ergo? Or a baby leash? Not a fan of the leashes but if it's useful I won't mind for our vacation. Or is a stroller all we need?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We cruised when our son was 11, 18. and 23 months. A stroller is all you need. The leashes cause more problems in crowded areas than they any help they provide. An umbrella stroller worked best for us.

We cruised when our son was 11,14, 24 and 39 months and only brought the stroller. DS was never a fan of the carrier and wearing a hot baby in a hot port just didn't appeal to me or DH though he probably would have if he had to. We brought the Maclaren Quest and it's a great size for on the ship and off. Provides great shade and reclines an adequate amount for naps.

If you don't already baby wear than I wouldn't wait until the cruise to try it out.

The Ergo is pretty warm, so while it does give great support (I can walk for hours while wearing my 8 month old), it might not be the best option for tropical climates. A Mai Tai might be a better option for you to check out.

LO will be 19 months when we go on our cruise next year and I plan on bringing an umbrella stroller and a wrap carrier.

I take an umbrella stroller, great to load bags on and them to sleep and my woven wrap. I agree if you don't usually babywear, I wouldn't just for the trip. I wear my 8 month old every day so I'm used to it. I wouldn't if it was really hot either, I took reins with my 1st who was 15 months for when he wanted to get out the pushchair and walk a bit but he was a runner!!!

If you don't already baby wear than I wouldn't wait until the cruise to try it out.

The Ergo is pretty warm, so while it does give great support (I can walk for hours while wearing my 8 month old), it might not be the best option for tropical climates. A Mai Tai might be a better option for you to check out.

LO will be 19 months when we go on our cruise next year and I plan on bringing an umbrella stroller and a wrap carrier.

I agree, as the family Sherpa, a Mai Tai is deffinetly a good option......oh wait... I am thinking of something else.... never mind...

we just cruised w/ my 23 month old. He's too big for an umbrella so we used out BOB jogger. Other than not fitting through the stateroom without being folded it worked great. He was so comfy in it he slept very easily. I did see a family with a little boy constantly on a leash. I think if it works for your child its fine. I"m not sure how the carrier would work.

I take an umbrella stroller, great to load bags on and them to sleep and my woven wrap. I agree if you don't usually babywear, I wouldn't just for the trip. I wear my 8 month old every day so I'm used to it. I wouldn't if it was really hot either, I took reins with my 1st who was 15 months for when he wanted to get out the pushchair and walk a bit but he was a runner!!!

Other babywearing mamas! Are you by any chance on 102 on facebook? Anyway, I agree with them about starting to baby wear now. We love our kinderpack and you can get them with a mesh panel to keep you and baby cooler. Tulas are also terrific carriers and are really comfortable. We loved our ergo when we had one, but they might not be as comfortable as a kp or tula for an older child. We are going on a cruise in January and my son will be 17 months. We will definitely be bringing our kinderpack, mei tai, and a couple of our woven wraps.

• 2 weeks later...

We took our son on a cruise at about 15 months old. I already used a ring sling for him, since he was a few months old. The ring sling has lots of material, and the one I took was linen, so it was cool to wear. If he went to sleep, I would pull material up over him to give him some extra privacy. He is now 2 1/2, and our cruise on May 24 will be his 3rd. I'm taking his city mini stroller this time. It folds flat and is pretty easy to maneuver through tight areas.

Happy Sailing!

When my son was 14 months we cruised and I took the ergo every where. Now we ate cruising in January when he just turns 2 and the ergo with go again this time in my back. We used it during muster drill, at the ports, on the ship. It was awesome and well worth the expense. uploadfromtaptalk1400090835528.jpg.bb0d62ec7e420e6bbfa4a16a346761f5.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I loved my Ergo for ports! Last time I used it was when our daughter was 3.5 and long-legged... it was perfect for Turkey and Israel, as there were a lot of stairs that would have flummoxed my stroller.

I would think a stroller & possibly a leash would be fine. We took an umbrella stroller for DD at 2. We barely used it, but the couple of times we did it was nice to have. I tried the leash at Disney & DD did better just holding hands (if she was a runner I would have used the leash more than a couple of times--including on the ship). We only used a carrier when traveling from 5-9 months--it was helpful when navigating airports,but that was about it.

We sailed when DD was 16 and 25 months. Both times we just took our workhorse umbrella stroller (maclaren quest - has shade, lightweight, reclines, and has a nice basket underneath) and it was all we needed. DD never really liked being worn though.

Our younger daughter likes baby wearing (or at least is used to it, since I'm frequently wearing her so I can chase around big sis...) so I'll probably bring a way to wear her when we cruise this fall (she'll be almost a year). For most of our "adventures" (airport, bus to downtown, day road trips, anything with a lot of walking...) we have been taking my wrap and the Maclaren, it reclines enough that we can put the baby in it if needed :)

We love our Inglesina Trip umbrella stroller. Folds easily, is light, has full recline, a handle to carry it with when collapsed, and fits through cabin doors easily. It has a 5 point harness and is rated to 55 lbs. It has a huge sun shade. We've taken it to Florida and our redheaded son didn't get burned. Highly recommend it for cruising. An Ergo is great but can get really warm.

• 2 weeks later...

If you already babywear, and your baby is happy being worn, then go for it. For hot weather wearing, ringslings and some of the lighter mesh carriers (ergo sport, lillebaby airflow) may be more comfortable for both baby and wearer. The Solarweave connecta is also a good one with UV protection and lightweight fabric. I'm planning on borrowing one from our local babywearing support group's library to try out for our next vacation. Other tips for keeping cooler are to tuck an refrigerated/iced cold pack (like the kind you use on injuries or in lunchbags) in the front pocket of an ergo or in some way between you and the baby (always with a layer of fabric between the pack and skin!), or attaching a foam clip-on fan.

For strollers, we brought our lightweight umbrella stroller (maclaren volo). On port days, having both options of wearing or strolling is helpful, or the stroller is useful for carrying the rest of our stuff since babies usually don't travel light.

• 5 weeks later...

We are considering just taking a umbrella stroller and a baby carrier when we travel in January as well as possibly a child safety vest for $135.00 instead of a car seat/booster seat we saw on Amazon. My son will be 15 months old.

Did any of you bother taking car seats with you on your cruises with the strollers or did everything work out without car seats with the children?

We are considering just taking a umbrella stroller and a baby carrier when we travel in January as well as possibly a child safety vest for $135.00 instead of a car seat/booster seat we saw on Amazon. My son will be 15 months old.

Did any of you bother taking car seats with you on your cruises with the strollers or did everything work out without car seats with the children?

Our kids are 7, 5, and 3 and we always bring their car seats. This trip we have two bubblebums for the oldest and will bring our 3 year old's Diono.