Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

I have to say that my husband and I have been using PL for 3+ yrs. for hotels and have been completed happy with every single hotel that we've gotten. Like many people say, different strokes for different folks... but we will never pay FULL price again for a hotel - we love this option to name our own bids, locations, star rating, etc.

This bid was just accecpted on 7/06/09 (at 3:45 p.m. EST).

Date of the reservation: Sunday, Aug. 9, 2009 - Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2009

Number of rooms: 1 - (I called the hotel after the win, and they said the room will accomodate 3 quest without any problems.)

Number of nights: 3 nights post-cruise

Hotel: Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor

Rating: 3 1/2 *'s

Area: SanPedro

Site: Priceline

I had first placed a bid on the San Pedro area with a price of $63 (USD), the price was rejected. Then I got on my husbands laptop, bid with a different bank card, and added the Long Beach option and offered a bidding price of $66.00 (USD). This 2nd offer was taken right away.

I also had to pay $37.42 in tax and service fees for a total of $235.42, but this was a steeler deal compared to the full price of the room per night at this hotel.

Thank you all for your faithful posting and help in this room. :D

I have to say that my husband and I have been using PL for 3+ yrs. for hotels and have been completed happy with every single hotel that we've gotten. Like many people say, different strokes for different folks... but we will never pay FULL price again for a hotel - we love this option to name our own bids, locations, star rating, etc.

This bid was just accecpted on 7/06/09 (at 3:45 p.m. EST).

Date of the reservation: Sunday, Aug. 9, 2009 - Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2009

Number of rooms: 1 - (I called the hotel after the win, and they said the room will accomodate 3 quest without any problems.)

Number of nights: 3 nights post-cruise

Hotel: Crowne Plaza Los Angeles Harbor

Rating: 3 1/2 *'s

Area: SanPedro

I had first placed a bid on the San Pedro area with a price of $63 (USD), the price was rejected. Then I got on my husbands laptop, bid with a different bank card, and added the Long Beach option and offered a bidding price of $66.00 (USD). This 2nd offer was taken right away.

I also had to pay $37.42 in tax and service fees for a total of $235.42, but this was a steeler deal compared to the full price of the room per night at this hotel.

Thank you all for your faithful posting and help in this room. :D

Super! I think San Pedro is one of the easiest areas to bid and win a decent hotel at a great price.

We've never used priceline before, but I'll never make a hotel reservation without them again!

Seattle Downtown

Saturday, Aug 29, 2009

First Bid accepted June 24, 2009: $65.00

Accepted by: Renaissance Marriott

Has anyone stayed there before? Thanks. :)

I feel cheated! Just this morning I got the same hotel and same date for 77.00 + 19.00 tax.

I feel cheated! Just this morning I got the same hotel and same date for 77.00 + 19.00 tax.

What was your first bid?

It could have something to do with the dates you won them. Maybe the rooms are filling up for that night, so they increased the price they wanted. Just a thought.

Bid on the Westin in Long Beach today and got it on my first try

for $54. Total with taxes.....$69.

It's a great property and an excellent rate!!!:)

I haven't used Priceline in awhile - actually since the last time we cruised out of Seattle 3 years ago, but can you bid on specific properties now or do you mean you bid the appropriate # of stars and got the Westin? Thx

I got the Seattle downtown Sheridan for $84 today - it will come to right at $100 with tax. The only downer is that when I checked out the hotel I found that parking is going to run me about $35 a day for the two days we will be there post cruise.

Still -- great location, nice hotel.

I haven't used Priceline in awhile - actually since the last time we cruised out of Seattle 3 years ago, but can you bid on specific properties now or do you mean you bid the appropriate # of stars and got the Westin? Thx

I can't answer for what the other poster did, but no you can't bid on a specific property on the "name your own bid" area. You research what hotels are being awarded in the area you want, and what star level they are. Then you take your chances when you bid. Usually works out pretty well.

I read the hotel lists on betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com to find out what hotels are coming up for other people.

Sandi

What did you put in as far as how many stars. The only option I am getting in San Pedro is 3 stars for $69. Do you think that is the Doubletree or Crown Plaza?

Thanks for the help

Odds are it's the Doubletree, but you can check the Hotwire section for San Pedro on betterbidding.com to see what the different amenities are for each property.

Just got the Westin Seattle 4* 8/1/09 for 1 night.

Winning Bid $95

T&F $21.84

Total $116.84

I'm sure I probably could have gotten this for less but I've been trying for months for this post cruise date and nothing even when bidding up to $110. I got this same hotel for $79 pre-cruise. I got complacent and thought I'd just start out at $95 and what do you know-it was accepted. They must have just opened up this block of rooms today because yesterday-nada.

Should I gather from the bids ya'll are reporting that I shouldn't bother submitting a bid this early (our cruise is in May) - that the best deals normally show up a month or so before the date?

Priceline successful bids.

Aug 28 Two nights

$77 Accepted four star bid

Sheraton Seattle Sixth and Pike Street

$154 Base rate two nights

$31 tax, license & dealer prep

$185 Total for two nights

------------------------------------------------

Sep 6 One night

$77 Accepted 3 1/2 star bid

Renaissance Hotel

515 Madison Street

$77 Base rate

$19 tax, license & dealer prep

$96 Total

Should I gather from the bids ya'll are reporting that I shouldn't bother submitting a bid this early (our cruise is in May) - that the best deals normally show up a month or so before the date?

May, 2010? I think I'd wait. Or else bid a low bid to see what happens. But if you keep getting rejected, just wait a while and try again later.

Sandi

figured it out...hehe

Here is my bid that was just accepted on 7/12/09 (at 3am CST).

Date of the reservation: Wed, Aug. 26, 2009 - Fri, Aug. 28, 2009

Number of rooms: 1

Number of nights: 2 (pre-cruise)

Hotel: Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside (apparently this was remodeled this year...so fingers crossed)

Rating: 4 stars (according to priceline, but turns out 3 on hotwire)

Area: Downtown Vancouver

First bid: $78

Second bid: $94 (accepted)

Total for 2 nights, 1 room: $227.35 ($39.35 tax)

figured it out...hehe

Here is my bid that was just accepted on 7/12/09 (at 3am CST).

Date of the reservation: Wed, Aug. 26, 2009 - Fri, Aug. 28, 2009

Number of rooms: 1

Number of nights: 2 (pre-cruise)

Hotel: Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside (apparently this was remodeled this year...so fingers crossed)

Rating: 4 stars (according to priceline, but turns out 3 on hotwire)

Area: Downtown Vancouver

First bid: $78

Second bid: $94 (accepted)

Total for 2 nights, 1 room: $227.35 ($39.35 tax)

According to biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com this property was just upgraded on Priceline from 3.5 to 4 stars. May I ask you if you bid $94 on the second bid because of a prompting by Priceline to up the bid to that level?

Sandi

stupid question forthcoming: when you bid on priceline, how long before you know if the bid is accepted or rejected? Is it hours? or instant? How does it work...maybe I should search for it online.

Pretty much instantly.

BID ON PRICELINE:

7/12/09 for one night on 9/4/09

3stars Seatac Airport

Bid 40.00, accepted on the first try:

Hilton Seattle Airport and Conference Center.

With taxes and fees $53.02

I am happy:D

According to biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com this property was just upgraded on Priceline from 3.5 to 4 stars. May I ask you if you bid $94 on the second bid because of a prompting by Priceline to up the bid to that level?

Sandi

I'm not sure that it prompted me to that value...I didn't see it say that anywhere. It didn't suggest upping it that little or anything, but the pages are pretty busy and I could have missed it. The only price it threw out was the average price in Downtown vancouver area of $194 (or so), so I figured I should bid up a bit. I jumped from $78 to $94 to avoid the hassle of bidding, but I didn't expect to get it. So either I got lucky or not...we'll see when I get there. :)

I'm not sure that it prompted me to that value...I didn't see it say that anywhere. It didn't suggest upping it that little or anything, but the pages are pretty busy and I could have missed it. The only price it threw out was the average price in Downtown vancouver area of $194 (or so), so I figured I should bid up a bit. I jumped from $78 to $94 to avoid the hassle of bidding, but I didn't expect to get it. So either I got lucky or not...we'll see when I get there. :)

Thanks! Sometimes, Priceline will tell you to bid $17 more to have a better chance of winning, but everyone advises not to listen to that bit of advice. So I was just wondering.

Thanks! Sometimes, Priceline will tell you to bid $17 more to have a better chance of winning, but everyone advises not to listen to that bit of advice. So I was just wondering.

Thats exactly what happened to me. After I bid and lost Priceline said I could get it for 17.00 more and I bit. Now I regret it as I see others got the exact same hotel on the same date for about 12.00 less than me!

This was a tough one! After seeing all the great prices everyone was getting for Seattle Westin I started out at $65 for Aug. 15th---after trying for weeks and gradually increasing the price I finally got a bite at $130--for the Grand Hyatt. Must be something going on that night. I do remember seeing prices a lot lower several months ago--guess I waited too long to book something.

I booked three hotels and a rental car through Priceline and was thrilled with the hotels and our room. We had $75 at the Red Lion on 5th Ave in Seattle- fantastic location. $90 at Red Lion in Port Angeles- best hotel in town, room nice, outside being repainted, and $40 at Doubetree at SeaTac- best experience so far, lovely room, view, service, shuttle to SeaTac. The car rental from Seatac was $24 for a Cobalt.

Advice: start bidding way ahead, maybe at 1/3 the rack rate, increase your bid by the minimum amount each day and don't take the bait if they tell you that they might accept it for $17-18 more than your previous bid. Plan ahead and be patient. Very efficient check-in. I'm hooked on Priceline!

I just booked the Sheraton 4* in downtown Seattle for $80 a night for 2 nights in late August on priceline. The hotel got great reviews so I hope they're right.

For our return leg I booked the Hilton near the airport since we're flying out early the next morning, we got it through hotwire for $72, a 3.5*,.

I like both PL and HW for booking rooms.

I just booked the Sheraton 4* in downtown Seattle for $80 a night for 2 nights in late August on priceline. The hotel got great reviews so I hope they're right.

For our return leg I booked the Hilton near the airport since we're flying out early the next morning, we got it through hotwire for $72, a 3.5*,.

I like both PL and HW for booking rooms.

Walt - we booked the Sheraton the last time we were in Seattle and thought it was very nice - don't think you'll be disappointed.

I've been bidding the last few weeks but don't go again until May so I don't expect to get a hit for several months.