Royal Caribbean supports Port Botany

ANYONE cashed up enough to fork out $15,000 for a leisure cruise does not want to disembark at a grain terminal or be ferried ashore in a tender because there's no place for their cruise liner to dock.

Where's the bragging rights in that?

But that's what's happening on Australia's east coast because the new breed of mega liners are too big to get under the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

In Brisbane, cruise lines are forced to disembark passengers at a grain terminal, for the same reason.

An independent review commissioned by the federal government has just vetoed plans by Carnival Australia to dock its megaliners at Defence's Garden Island, at Pott's Point in Sydney, judging it as a security risk.

Carnival Australia wants to pursue the Garden Island option, saying the alternative, Port Botany, is too "heavily industrialised".

But Royal Caribbean's Australian boss Gavin Smith says there's nothing wrong with Port Botany, south of the Sydney central business district.

"Royal Caribbean Cruise Ltd turns around ships at over 60 ports worldwide, the majority of which are commercial cargo ports," Smith says.

"One example is at Civitavecchia, Italy - the port for Rome - which sees over a million passengers a year.

"In fact the four busiest cruise ports in the world - Fort Lauderdale and Miami, Florida; Barcelona, Spain; and Southampton, England - are all commercial cargo ports.

"Our passengers sail on our superliners because of their size, quality and amenities offered onboard, not because of the berth they depart from."

Smith reckons there are many positives to building a cruise terminal at Port Botany.

"First, a Port Botany berthing experience could involve fast, efficient passenger processing in a remote purpose-built terminal facility, with better transport access than can be provided in the congested Garden Island area," he says.

"Port Botany has better access to fuel, which can be problematic in Sydney Harbour as there is currently only one fuel barge in the harbour.

"In addition, restocking the ship would be easier at Port Botany. At the moment the largest ships cannot be fully stored at the Overseas Passenger Terminal within a single day, requiring either a second day stay or for the process to be completed in another port such as Melbourne."

Smith also likes Port Botany because of its close proximity to the airport. "This is very convenient not only for the high proportion of inbound international guests but our interstate guests as well, when they arrive for or conclude their cruise holiday with us," he says.

"Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises are the only major cruise lines with significant inbound tourist clienteles."

RCCL would use Port Botany to turn around all five of its ships based in Australia.

But Carnival Australia's Ann Sherry says Port Botany is too much of an industrial environment for cruise ship passengers.

"It's a hardworking industrial environment," Sherry says.

"We also know from our research that the great experience for cruise passengers is coming through the Sydney Heads (north of Port Botany). It's one of the world's great experiences."

For Tourism Queensland chairman Don Morris the most obvious thing is the need for more ports. "Cruising is growing like stink," he says. "Cruising attracts the wealthier and slightly older demographic as well as younger people.

"Whatever needs to be done to make sure Australia realises its huge potential as a cruise shipping destination must be done at all levels of government."

What are your thoughts?

Thanks CroNich, I see botany Bay being developed for the "local " ships with the eastern side of Sydney Harbour being left to the exclusive "overseas " Ships and therefore much more expensive .These guys are big forward thinkers and much more in tune to what's acceptable to their passengers.

Thanks CroNich, I see botany Bay being developed for the "local " ships with the eastern side of Sydney Harbour being left to the exclusive "overseas " Ships and therefore much more expensive .These guys are big forward thinkers and much more in tune to what's acceptable to their passengers.

Agreed, pulling out of Sydney Harbour takes up about 0.1% of your trip, Carnival needs to follow Royal Caribbean's focus, because like the article says, its more about the ship and the destinations then the port you are embarking/debarking at

Thumbs up from me, as per my comments in the Garden Island thread.

Botany offers a lot more potential and flexibility and is still very convenient to downtown - plus has the benefit of being very close to the airport and having fairly good transport capacity. It's not in place now, but wouldn't take much to be done, compared to other areas.

My first choice would always be to have the Finger Wharf back but if that isn't going to happen, Botany is a decent choice for growth. And we still have the current OPT facilities which are good, although the logistics are problematic as mentioned - but those apply to all city locations.

Thumbs up from me, as per my comments in the Garden Island thread.

Botany offers a lot more potential and flexibility and is still very convenient to downtown - plus has the benefit of being very close to the airport and having fairly good transport capacity. It's not in place now, but wouldn't take much to be done, compared to other areas.

My first choice would always be to have the Finger Wharf back but if that isn't going to happen, Botany is a decent choice for growth. And we still have the current OPT facilities which are good, although the logistics are problematic as mentioned - but those apply to all city locations.

I agree, finger wharf would be great, however like you said with Botany you have the space and flexibility to do a lot and can easily be converted into a easy access, large, modern terminal

Just another thought...I have watched the Auckland Port cam off and on through the day with Radiance of The seas being in port. Noted the fuel barge has been alongside all day and here it is 5.30 pm and its still there. Loading up with fuel for her Pacific voyage.

If she had been at a facility in Port Botany she could have refuelled there.

I think it's a great idea. Save me a lot of time and money getting on an off a ship so close to God's country :p It's super close to the airport and those that live on the North Shore can just put up with hahahaha

It will be no good for the ship's passing through, unless they time if for a weekend, the Monday to Friday slog/commute is a nightmare down this way and it would take forever for folks to get back into the city and beyond to sightsee.

Just my opinion as a local resident :D

I think Royal Caribbean is smart to chose Botany Bay as the best option. Besides the Sydney Harbour sail in only really appeals to the visiting ships here on a day visit. The regular ships doing seasonal cruises with locals who have been on the harbour do not have the same "wow factor" as the passengers visiting on one day visits.

I couldn't care less where the cruise left from!! I've sailed from Bayonne, New Jersey, not Manhattan. Did it worry me? No!

Yes, it was an old naval area that was mainly abandoned, but it didn't make or break the cruise!

Sailing in and out of the heads is no big deal for me. You can virtually do the route on the Manly Ferry!:p

As for going under the bridge......I've done that many times on the Rivercat and doesn't excite me lol.

If they were to build at Botany, they could build a real cruise terminal like Miami! They had everything perfect. They had seating while you waited for your cruise card (Carnival had check-in kiosks!), queuing was at a minimum and they had baggage belts like at the airport when you arrive back!

Something needs to be done soon......like the second airport, but that is another story ;)

I agree with Debsta,the traffic on General Holmes Drive and Southern Cross Drive is a shocker in peak hour.Even if you go the the city the other way via Bunnerong Road and Anzac Parade the traffic in peak hour is bad.I suppose a way to get around this would be for the ship to arrive after peak hour and depart after the afternoon peak hour.

I grew up out this way at a suburb near La Perouse and every time I drive along Foreshore Drive I am amazed at how big Port Botany is and it's not finished yet!

Regards Elaine.

Agreed. I would prefer to embark from a proper large cruise terminal, that is quick and comfortable if it means not being able to sale through the heads. Which gets boring after the first time.

Also there is something just a tad more exciting when you taking an exit towards a sign that says 'Cruise Terminal' for me anyway.

I think Royal Caribbean is smart to chose Botany Bay as the best option. Besides the Sydney Harbour sail in only really appeals to the visiting ships here on a day visit. The regular ships doing seasonal cruises with locals who have been on the harbour do not have the same "wow factor" as the passengers visiting on one day visits.

WHAT THE?????

You may be bored with your own backyard old thing, but I can assure you , the sail in/out of Sydney Harbour is one of the best anywhere in the World.

I have done it many , many times , and always get a feeling of excitement as the the ship sails through one of the best harbours in the World.

Seeing it from the top decks of a cruise ship is just magic....

Luvs ya Jarrod (don't know you Nich LOL) but I cannot believe my eyes. Boring? We have one of the most magical harbours in the world....it never get's boring, sailing in or out - day, night or early morning. (OK sometimes the early morning sail-ins can be difficult to get up to :p)

No WOW factor? Sutho, why do you always speak for everyone else? Why not state YOU think it has no WOW factor......instead of 24th hand information from a friend of a family member's friend, 2nd cousin twice removed......seriously!

Elaine, don't forget the M5 carpark!

Debsta,how could I forget the M5! When my Mum was alive I used it often and if I didn't leave my mothers house before 3p.m then I knew I was in for a terrible drive home to the Sutherland Shire.I would eat a packet of chocolate biscuits and occasionally bang my head on the steering wheel whilst stuck in the M5.I must have looked like a mad woman:)

Regards Elaine.

The roads are busy at peak times but it's a short shuttle trip out to the airport, and from there easy access to the city by train or anywhere else.

If there was sufficient volume, you could also easily build a rail spur, though there would be a real problem of frequency on a small spur if it's just to the cruise terminal. There's also the old tram reservation on Anzac Parade for Kensington which also isn't far, but again overall volume needs to justify it. In the short term though, it's still a short shuttle ride to many transport options, even at peak times.

Questions...

1. At Port Botany , would the cruise facility be on the airport side or the other?

2. Could they have a road that linked it to all the transport options at the airport?

3. They would have to design it so that the layout is completely away from , and separate of the freight areas and container traffic. Can that be done?

Luvs ya Jarrod (don't know you Nich LOL) but I cannot believe my eyes. Boring? We have one of the most magical harbours in the world....it never get's boring, sailing in or out - day, night or early morning. (OK sometimes the early morning sail-ins can be difficult to get up to :p)

No WOW factor? Sutho, why do you always speak for everyone else? Why not state YOU think it has no WOW factor......instead of 24th hand information from a friend of a family member's friend, 2nd cousin twice removed......seriously!

Elaine, don't forget the M5 carpark!

I have done Sydney harbour hundreds of times. I think it is the best in the world so far with Rio De janeiro being a close second.

My point is that P&O are clinging to Sydney harbour only because of the wow factor. Surely logistics of ships based here must over ride the wow factor when probably many passengers who sail from Australia have done Sydney Harbour before.

To me Botany Bay looks like a choice between Wow factor and docking solution.

Questions...

1. At Port Botany , would the cruise facility be on the airport side or the other?

2. Could they have a road that linked it to all the transport options at the airport?

3. They would have to design it so that the layout is completely away from , and separate of the freight areas and container traffic. Can that be done?

If they extended the freight train to the end of the port botany and upgraded to a passenger rail line and connected it to the airport for easy connectivity to the airport it could work. However if the terminal and transport needed government funding, they might as well pay for the movement of the navy from Garden Island.

But for Port Botany why not extend the south-west side of the port (the one that faces the Airport runways) and transform it so it can accommodate ships, maybe 2 or 3 with a large terminal. There are some really good ones coming from Asia and America

portcanaveral.jpg

P.O.K.-Passenger-Transportation-District-2.jpg

kai_tak_cruise_terminal_f110411_3_qglod_69.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=52498&stc=1&d=1237435586

I am sure something really fantastic could be built....

Australia has plenty of iron to build it with:D.

I have always thought a multi pupose facility is the answer.

A big departure and arrival hall for cruising, and when ships are not using it, an indoor stadium, media centre, TV Studio with live audiences...etc,etc.

It would only take about 20 minutes,30 at the most to travel from Port Botany to the airport in peak time.The freight tracks from Port Botany finish up Chullora near Bankstown so a bit of work would need to be done there.

What a pity the Government got rid of the trams all those years ago.Even before we were talking about cruise ship terminals I always thought that they should have kept the tram that went to La Perouse as a tourist attraction.It would have been perfect for this scenario.

Regards Elaine.

My point is that P&O are clinging to Sydney harbour only because of the wow factor. Surely logistics of ships based here must over ride the wow factor when probably many passengers who sail from Australia have done Sydney Harbour before.
*cough* I'm sure you mean Carnival Australia as a whole, not just P&O, don't you? :D ;)

I don't see any problem with Port Botany as long as it's a custom built terminal and not a tent. If the NSW government is gonna commit to it, they need to do it properly and develop the area accordingly. I love sailing from Sydney Harbour but if Port Botany is the only viable solution, they should go for it. :)

I didn't say it was boring lol :p Oh, don't you worry, I've been up early each time to see us sail in through the Heads in the morning. This time it was a little bit easier. I only had 2 metres to walk to the balcony.;)

I'm just saying it wouldn't bother me if I didn't sail from Sydney Harbour.

No matter how many times I have done it..setting sail down Sydney Harbour on one of those fantastic golden afternoons...is such a thrill.

So short sighted of those in charge that they cannot find the forsight to plan a real cruise terminal inside the harbour.

I guess if it has to be Port Botany then it has to be...but it wont be the same.:mad:

Sue

Archived