Money?

TheChicTraveler

Do you mean on the ship or in port? If it's in ports, bank owned ATM's are all over the place in most Canadian cities, I'd just take what you need when you get there.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I was hoping to convert it before we even left for the cruise.

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I was hoping to convert it before we even left for the cruise.

There is no reason to exchange prior to leaving unless of course you really like overspending for things. The exchange rates for money exchangers are filled with hidden fees and poor rates. If you were going to some far off land and weren't sure of the banking options then I could see having some small pocket change to get started, but this is Canada, not Uganda. Walk to the nearest bank ATM and withdraw money.

You can ask your bank to order some for you...Yeap, Mine has done that for me.

Using an ATM in foreign country is an option, just remember you are entering local currency amounts and the charge on your card will reflect in USD.

I like getting mine in advance too, I don't blame you one bit!:)

You may be able to get some at the airport??? Not sure about that one!

I'd recommend going to your bank and exchanging a little to have about $25-50 or so in local currency, regardless of whether it's Canada, France, or Taiwan......that way you can grab a cab to the nearest working ATM or grab a couple of coffees while you're waiting for something or other. Stuff happens - you want to grab a coffee while waiting for someone to make some calls or go to the bathroom or something......you could do without, but it's just nice to have a little walking around cash until you can get to an ATM.

We managed to go on our last two cruises that included Canadian ports without converting any money to cash. One was a cruise that ended in Vancouver, where we spent an extra night before coming home. The other was a cruise that started in Quebec and ended in Boston. We had three Canadian ports along the way. The shops/taxis/etc. either took a credit card or U.S. dollars. Even the beggars on the streets of Vancouver said they'd take American cash.

Edited by geoherb

Where is the best place to convert your money to local currency? I need to convert from USD to Canadian dollars for an upcoming cruise.

Thanks for any help.[emoji74]

Your bank can probably do the exchange for you. Depending on where you are located, you may have to give them a bit of notice.

Most Canadian businesses in tourist locations will accept US $. Generally the exchange is worse than one can get at a local bank.

When I'm going to a foreign country that requires a long flight and possible language barrier, I exchange enough money for the first few days through my bank before I leave home. I don't want to get off a plane and not have the cash for a cab or train to my hotel after an eight or longer hour flight where there might not be an ATM on every corner like there is in the US and Canada. But going into Canada, where everyone speaks English (yes, even in Quebec whether they will admit it or not), ATM's are abundant, and particularly in border areas and port cities US dollars are readily accepted, I can't see going through the trouble and expense of exchanging in advance.

Western Union is always the cheapest for cash money all over the world

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

That's got to be about the worst advice I have ever read on these boards.

I do a very significant amount of international travel, and I never leave home with any of the local currency, unless it's a few dollars/euros/yuan/etc. that I had left from my last trip there. I usually bring $200-$300 US Dollars just in case I have an emergency and need to exchange the cash (knowing it would be a terrible exchange rate), but I always just get off the plane and go straight to the ATM. Once in a while there is an issue that a phone call clears up, but so far I haven't had any big problems. Most recent experience was five days ago in New Zealand.

Edited by Zach1213

If you are a member of AAA, they will also exchange money for you. I think the last time I did it, there was an $8 service fee. If you give them enough notice, they can get most any currency. Local banks in the bigger cities will do this as well. I highly recommend against using the currency bureaus in the airports. Their rates tend to be the worst out there.

If you are a member of AAA, they will also exchange money for you. I think the last time I did it, there was an $8 service fee. If you give them enough notice, they can get most any currency. Local banks in the bigger cities will do this as well. I highly recommend against using the currency bureaus in the airports. Their rates tend to be the worst out there.

I live in a pretty small city and my bank exchanges money with no fee. I just have to order it a few days before I need it.