Not Cameras But...Binoculars??

I'm sorry for hacking the camera threads, but I wasn't sure where else this topic would go. Do any of you have recommendations for binoculars that don't cost a fortune (or that do maybe that I could find on eBay lol).

I don't really understand how the description of binoculars work and I want something I can use to see islands and other ships off our balcony. I'd appreciate any advice and tia <3

Try doing a thread search on this forum and on the AK forums. Lots of posts on binocs including several by me.

DON

Yes there is a ton of information. I will say this, you get what you pay for in good optics, makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Yes there is a ton of information. I will say this, you get what you pay for in good optics, makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have 2 pairs. Each cost me about $500. I did make the mistake of trying several $2000+ pair. I could have been induced to buy them but the cost of the divorce would not have been worth it. I will have to settle with my pairs of $500 binocs.

One really important thing - do not buy anything over the internet if possible and if you have to buy over the internet, make sure that you can return them for a full refund for any reason. I bought mine at B&H. I go there any time I visit my daughter in NYC.

DON

The only time I'll use them is on the cruise or deep sea fishing. That's why I didn't want to invest a lot of money, but I did want something that would work good enough to use :)

Your budget will define what quality you will get. What's the most you would pay? Do you want compact or are full sized binos OK? Remember: This is one investment that you'll probably be using for years.

Glenn

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm sorry for hacking the camera threads, but I wasn't sure where else this topic would go. Do any of you have recommendations for binoculars that don't cost a fortune (or that do maybe that I could find on eBay lol).

I don't really understand how the description of binoculars work and I want something I can use to see islands and other ships off our balcony. I'd appreciate any advice and tia <3

Here's a general purpose link I put together for questions like this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1869022&highlight=binoculars

To recommend something for you it would be helpful to know your budget. There is a large difference between $50-300 binoculars and another tier at $300-800.

What is the maximum you are willing to pay for a pair of binoculars for cruising, OnePsychLynne?

I have purchased many of my binoculars from Eagle Optics and like them for their service and policies and especially their expertise. They will gladly talk with you and ask about what you need. They also have an excellent return policy.

For the selection below, I made some assumptions: that you are an eye-glass wearer, that you want waterproof binoculars, that your magnification is up to 9X (8X and 9X is great for cruising because of the stability issues above this level).

If I had to make more recommendations to this listing, it would be to physically try them if you can. Get a sense of if you'd like something smaller (which might mean less light at dawn and dusk, but they are lighter) or if you prefer a full sized pair (fitting your hands, brighter but also heavier). I would also suggest getting an "ED" grade of glass if you can afford it--more light, less distortion, truer colors.

Let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars?price_min=200&price_max=300&magnification_max=9.0&magnification_min=8.0&waterproof=yes&eye_glass_wearer=yes&per_page=24

Just curious, what do you use the binoculars for on a deep sea fishing trip?

As long as they are waterproof and fog-proof. and below 10X (to reduce the shakiness), they should be fine. 7X50 are classic for marine use but they tend to be very bulky and heavy.

As long as they are waterproof and fog-proof. and below 10X (to reduce the shakiness), they should be fine. 7X50 are classic for marine use but they tend to be very bulky and heavy.

My boyfriend knew I wanted a pair and he surprised me with a pair of Bushnell Bear Grylls 8x25, so I guess that takes care of that lol. They're compact but feel pretty sturdy so we'll see how they do :)

Sent from my Galaxy S4. Typos inevitable.