Venice - Mosquitos

lynn2002

Unless you're staying overnight, you may not need to worry. For the most part mozzies don't start to bother until after dark, and we've never had an issue with them. Bring some insect repellent, or plan to buy some locally if you're staying a day or two in advance.

I was actually bitten in the afternoon well before dusk-they must set their alarm clocks to wake up early and catch me unawares!

seriously have ordered citronella bracelets to see if they offer better protection

I was actually bitten in the afternoon well before dusk-they must set their alarm clocks to wake up early and catch me unawares!

seriously have ordered citronella bracelets to see if they offer better protection

I have a friend who uses those, and they work well for her. Plus you'll smell nice too. :)

Dusk, dawn, shady places, still moist warm air. That's what mosquitoes love. Avoid all those conditions and you won't see many mosquitoes - easier said than done, I know.

If you get bites, resist scratching and picking. It just makes the itching worse, and you can infect your skin by scratching. Alcohol calms the bites, and you can use hand sanitizers this way, because they contain alcohol. Re-apply a dab as often as it itches. If you're really stuck, perfume also works - there's alcohol in there too. Of course you'll end up smelling like a boudoir!

I come from up here in Canada, where we have the little pests in hordes every spring. If there's one of them in the bedroom, I pull the sheet right over my head and stick one arm out as bait. I wait till the bugger lights and sinks the blood-sucker part in and then, slap-bam! They're not very fast, so take your time and get the aim right.

Good luck. As I've said before on these threads, there is nothing that could induce me to wear DEET to bed. It melts plastic.

Bet that's more than anybody wants to know about mosquitoes!

Wish I'd known about the hand sanitizer trick to calm the bites. We picked up some aloe thing at Billa supermarket (Dorsoduro location open until 11 pm) and it turned out to be face cream :D Worked reasonably after sticking it into the fridge to give it a cooling effect, too.

We couldn't find afterbite soothing products in the supermarket and didn't venture into the pharmacy.

I always carry a tube of hydrocortisone cream when I travel. It immediately eases the itching from bites.

Yup that's in my drugstore arsenal along with Neosporin, bandaids, safety pins, a tiny roll of duct tape, Tide stain pen, sewing kit, antacids, Imodium, Aleve, Excedrin, aspirin, allergy pills, etc. I keep it all in a ziplock and just throw it in my bag on every trip. Oh, and a rubber band to hold the 'on' button down on the hair dryer on the ship!