Car rental,Trolly, or The Bus in Honolulu

MoyCoy

I wonder if anyone who has rented a car in Honolulu can tell me if parking is difficult at Pearl Harbor. Is parking in general around Honolulu expensive?

I purchased a audio tour for Pearl Harbor (945am , disembarking at 8pm)and was told to arrive 1 hour early for parking. Also we were considering taking THE BUS to Pearl Harbor from the pier. Can someone tell me how one would do that. Is there a bus stop near the pier? I understand a taxi ride can be 35 dollars ...(per a post on CC)

Lastly, we wondering if we should cancel our private tour and take the ships tour, plus purchase trolley tickets through the ship. We would like to visit a few restaurants after Pearl Harbor. We are trying to decide between renting a car ,taking a trolley , or Using The Bus. Any advice?

We have cars reserved for Pearl Harbor and the Captain's Luau, but I'm interested in the bus also. We are staying at Moana Surf Rider ...is there a bus pick up close to there and what is the earliest time they leave for Pearl Harbor...

Check TheBus dot org. Clearly lines out the schedule.

Check TheBus dot org. Clearly lines out the schedule.

There is also an app you can download to your smart phone called 'Da Bus'. It has all the Honolulu bus schedules, route maps, wait times, etc. We are using the bus to get to Pearl Harbor and back for our Hawaii cruise in January.

We are renting cars in three other ports, but from what I have read, Honolulu is one of the top cities for bad traffic, so we didn't want the stress of driving.

All your options first depend on how long you are on Oahu. If just one day, rent a car. This gives you a lot of options for the day. For Pearl Harbor/Arizona Memorial, get there early, not only for parking, but to get early tickets for the shuttle boat to the Memorial. Once you're done there, you can head towards Pearl City and the Pearlridge area for shopping and restaurants. You will be traveling with your luggage in the car, so don't skimp on the size of the car. Keep that in mind if you are flying out the same day, as some airlines will not let you check in your luggage until four hours prior to your flight. If you don't want to hassle with your luggage, the ship tour will manage your luggage for you, but then you lose flexibility to go off on your own.

If you are on Oahu more than one day, do Pearl Harbor on another day when you can keep driving north to the North Shore, and around the island. You can use the day you disembark to scope out Waikiki or whatever area your hotel is located, on foot.

Also remember that most hotels now charge for parking, anywhere from $8 to $20(!!!), which makes spending $2.50 per ride on The Bus a deal. The Trolley has hop on/hop off passes if you have a sightseeing day in Honolulu proper.

We rented a car in Honolulu and had reservations for 10am for our pearl harbor tour. Plenty of parking. After touring everything, we drove around the Honolulu area seeing things we missed pre cruise. The rental company picked us up at the cruise terminal and dropped us at the airport. It was a wonderful day.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...