Does Celebrity have friends of Bill W meetings??

Guri

:confused: Thanx in advance....:o

You have already received your answer...........but noticing that this is your first post..........wanted to give you a warm welcome to CC.

Like the friends of Bill W.......................you will find many friends here that are more than willing to help with anything that you may want to know.

Welcome aboard!!

Rick

And as a (very adult!) daughter of someone who attended Friends of Bill W meetings...thank you for asking and wanting to attend.

Bill W. made a total difference in my father's (and hence my) life. Thank you for taking the time to be concerned and please be assured- most ships have attendance at these meetings-not just passengers, but sometimes crew as well (depending on the cruiseline and time). It will be shown in the daily- you may have some folks show up that aren't sure what it's all about- however in typical Bill W style, everyone is welcome! I've seen many postings about "who is this guy Bill W and why does he have so many friends?" It does give me a bit of chuckle, however we all know it's a serious topic.

I've also seen posted that there are now "no booze cruises" for those that prefer to cruise with others that are friends of Bill-- I'm not sure how you could find them, but I'm guessing a google search might be a start.

peace be with you....it's always one day at a time. And thank you from those who love you-

You have already received your answer...........but noticing that this is your first post..........wanted to give you a warm welcome to CC.

Like the friends of Bill W.......................you will find many friends here that are more than willing to help with anything that you may want to know.

Welcome aboard!!

Rick

Ditto that! This is a great site.:)

I cruised many times and always saw it in the daily programme but then I cruised with my Sister and she attended most of the meetings. She made many good friends as did I as I attended 2 meetings with her.

They were all wonderful people and truly supportive of each other. I felt blessed to be allowed to attend and share with them. Well done all of you!

Sue

Hi folks,

Two of my most significant experiences have been at on board meetings.

On one cruise, we had a brand new guy whose life was really a wreck. He had unsuccessfully hung around the fringes for a short time, but he had become so desparate that he came to the meeting first day intent on using the cruise as a chance to break away from old habits. He made it through the whole cruise.

On another cruise, there was a woman who was about to lose her husband and children. Fairly or not, he gave her one last ultimatum to sober up or split up, and she too sought help at the meetings.

I pray that both of these individuals have continued to remain sober.

I mention these experiences as examples of how critical ship board meetings can be to some folks and thank all who have taken time from their cruise to share their experience. strength, and hope.

Bob

Okay, did a google search and I do apologize for not knowing. now I know.

Didn't mean to show insensitivity.:o

As a "friend" I can assure you no apology is necessary, nor were you insensitive.

I did'n't know what "friends of Bill W." was either when I saw it in the daily. Thank you for the information. There was also "friends of Dorothy", could someone explain what that is? Thanks in advance.

Donna

Donna ~ Friends of Dorothy are meetings for the gay and lesbian community on board the ship.

By the way, I haven't had a chance to really look...have you posted a review of your cruise? Thought about you.

Guri ~ welcome to Cruise Critic and thanks for taking the time to post. We hope you will visit often and that you will find information and friends from our community.

Guri -- Welcome aboard. As the above posters have mentioned there are meetings on all ships listed in the daily program. I have been a friend of Bill's for many years. I had been sober for quite a few years before my first cruise but was still concerned and was happy to know there were meetings. I did go to some meetings and enjoyed them and made great friends. Over the years though I have slacked off attending meetings at sea but am glad to know they are there.

It's funny how Friends of Bill run into each other though. Many times on a cruise someone will offer to buy me a drink or see me ordering a virgin "frozen fruity" drink and I'll say that I don't drink alcohol. You can't believe how many people will say to me . . . me to - "are you a Friend of Bill's? I am also."

Remember to have fun on the cruise and know that there are others to support you and enjoy yourself. I always take some quiet time on a cruise to say thank you for my "new" life and how grateful I am.

-- A Grateful Friend of Bill W's

Okay, did a google search and I do apologize for not knowing. now I know.

Didn't mean to show insensitivity.:o

I dont think you were being insensitive at all! Until about a year ago, I did not know either. I asked on the Cruise Critic boards and that is how I found out. Remember admitting what you dont know and finding out is better than just pretending you know everything!

Your question has been answered.

First....its really refreshing to see your post because the recent ones are about the more stingent policies on alcohol that X is now saying they are going to enforce...and how to get around them instead of accepting and adhearing to them.

Second...as a person who has known a person who has a drinking problem I find the the scheduling and positioning of the meetings in X's daily a bit dissapointing. This March they were all list as below but may have changed since my last cruise. The dailys were all about the same.

Here is an example:

Tuesday, March 21st, 2006

4:30 Friends of Bill W. & Lois meeting ...................Michaels Club 8 stbd

5:15 Enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail while listening to

-6:00 Ron Van Dyke..............................................Cova Cafe & Wine bar 6

5:15 Friends of Dorothy meet in..............................Champagne Bar 5

While I am happy and support FOB and FOD.....I think the placement of the "Pre-dinner "drink IS a bit insensitive by X. BTW it was like this almost every day.

Being in recovery IS a lifelong experience. For those who have endured for a number of years, the temptation is still there, but the will not to is much greater. For the person who is just beginning their recovery or is in the midst of it...this really could send a mixed message resulting in either 1. a stronger recovery or 2. a relapse ; depending on what stage the person is in.

I really don't like to hear about people circumventing rules onboard, but it makes me wonder what is X saying, why? and should they be putting these two events together, or findind a way to seperate them. BTW Micheals club IS A BAR. How wrong is that?

Just my 2 cents.

Dave:eek:

I have never found the positioning of the schedule of the meetings offensive. They are listed in the program just as all other meetings and acvitities on the ship. Listing them any other way would just bring more attention to them.

One thing that at least I have found is that I live my life the in the "real" world and I have to adjust and the world isn't going to make adjustments for me. It's my choice where I want to spend time on the ship be it at a meeting or joining my husband for a pre-dinner cocktail (his alcoholic and mine just a soda).

When meetings are held in Michael's Club there is not a bartender at the bar and the bar is closed. Michaels' Club does not look like a typical bar (at least none that I have been to) and is an absolutely beautiful cozy place to have a meeting and I have attended many meetings there. As a matter of fact Michael's Club is a great place to have meetings because the door can be shut and there are no windows for people to peer in and see what is going on inside.

"I have never found the positioning of the schedule of the meetings offensive"

Actually I said "dissapointing".

There is a BIG difference between the two words.

"4:30 Friends of Bill W. & Lois meeting ...................Michaels Club 8 stbd

5:15 Enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail while listening to

-6:00 Ron Van Dyke..............................................Cova Cafe & Wine bar 6

5:15 Friends of Dorothy meet in..............................Champagne Bar 5"

The point I was making is wouldn't it be JUST A LITTLE BIT BETTER if the simply said "Enjoy a pre dinner moment" or "Enjoy RVD for for pre dinner sounds" or something less drink oriented. No one is saying to make the Cova dry, or be politically correct...but the announce a FOB and a predinner drink right underneath seems a little odd to me.

And I do apologize. Micheals doesn't usually start serving until 7:00pm. Sorry.

Lois Wilson was Bill W's (Wilson's) wife. She supported him and fought with him and in the end, is almost synonomous with the Virgin Mary. With out her there might not be an AA.

Yet as a woman she is pushed aside as most are in history.

Hi Dave,

thank you for the information, very interessting. Good that she is honored in bringing up her name when the cruise Planer says, Lois and Bill W. meeting.

Thanks again! These boards are always interessting. Even when they sometimes get overwheelemed by complaining complaining ....!

Greetings

Michael

Archived