Disembarkation in Benoa

Lexcruiser

We are considering a February/March cruise on Odyssey which docks in Benoa at 7 a.m. The most convenient flight for us leaves Denpasar at 9:40 a.m. I understand the airport is a short distance from the port and that Odyssey will be docking not tendering. I know the dangers of tight connections, but I would like to hear from anyone who has actually disembarked in Benoa with a tight airline connection to determine if this should be rejected out-of-hand.

I have not docked in Benoa (yet... will be doing so on Odyssey in December) but I have flown out of Denpasar many times.

From what I've read, they have limited times that ships can enter/exit to access the Benoa port due to tidal conditions. As such, the ships tend to overnight there. That's the part that would make me most nervous. Is your 7 am disembarkation at the back end of an overnight or is that the projected arrival time into the port with you departing immediately?

Denpasar is not a difficult airport but there are three layers of security - a line to get IN to the airport (with initial x-ray), then ticket counter lines (which can sometimes not be speedy, even if flying in a premium cabin), and then an immigration line where the exit tax is due. I've gotten from curbside to lounge before in 15 minutes... and I've had it take 45.

Personally, I think a 9:40 am flight would be pushing it... especially given that Bali is prone to VERY heavy traffic congestion.

Hi,

We live in Bali for part of the year and the thing that would concern me would be the officials clearing the ship. I'm not sure how much confidence I would have in them to clear the ship efficiently. You may dock at 7.00 a.m. but that is not necessarily the time the ship is cleared. Having said that I have no first hand experience in arriving in the port. Getting to the airport should not be a problem at that time in the morning but it does not leave much room for any sort of delay. International check in is two hours before and sometimes the lines for immigration can be long. We were there three weeks ago and with the new airport things have been streamlined and we proceeded through security and immigration very quickly.

Sorry this may not be of a big help but for myself I think you are being a bit too ambitious and while things may go according to plan you are cutting it very fine.

• 2 months later...

We're on the Odyssey cruise that docks in Benoa on 3/11/2015 and had the same concerns. As a result we booked a flight that leaves around midnight. This will give us a very full (but tiring) day in Bali. We're planning to hire a private guide (who will have a vehicle large enough for us and our luggage) pick us up at the port, guide us around and then deliver us to the airport in the evening. Not the ideal solution but the less stressful option for us!

Edited by LWRcruiser