Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Progreso/Merida (Mexico)

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 10th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Progreso-Corona Beach Party

Does anyone know anything about the Corona Beach Party in Progreso. This is a "must do" for my hubby. I'm trying to find out its location on the beach to go on our own. We'd rather not go through ship excursions. I haven't found a good map of Progreso beaches and sites to see like there is for Cozumel.

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

I want to know too. Where did you hear about this? I have gotten very little concrete info about Progresso. Even Costa Maya has more information floating around. Who around here can clue us in?

RCCL Rhapsody OTS - 4 Times
RCCL Voyager OTS - 3 Times
RCCL Mariner OTS - 2 Times
Disney Magic - 1 Time
Upcoming - Navigator OTS

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

To me this excursion sounds like a real ripoff. The Progreso beach is three blocks from where the courtesy bus drops you. It's a public beach. All the beer you can drink? Well, beer is 1 to 2 bucks each anywhere along the beach. 35 dollars? I don't think so.

Old March 16th, 2007, 03:04 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Beach

Is this beach nice? How about the water?

Royal Caribbean Sovereign 7-2003 (the beginning), Carnival Conquest 7-2004, Carnival Legend 5-2005, Royal Caribbean Vision 6-2006, Royal Caribbean Rhapsody 5-2007, Carnival Victory 8-2008, Norwegian Spirit 1-2009, Royal Caribbean Mariner 5-2010, Celebrity Century 5-2011, Carnival Conquest 5-2012, Carnival Glory 7-2013, Carnival Freedom 7-2014.

Old March 16th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

The beach is nice and long/wide. For maps for most areas in the Yucatan state check out www.yucatantoday.com. A great visitor's guide. The water is not like the sparkling clear water of the Caribbean Progreso is on the Gulf but otherwise fine. Pretty shallow until you get further out. No snorkling,.
This port, as you can see in Yucatantoday, has many options for your activities. BTW. Very good restaurants.

Old March 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

As HDawson said, the beach is pretty nice but no snorkeling from it and the water isn't as blue, blue as other places. We just got back and if I had to do it over again, I'd make Progresso our beach day. Small little town and the double decker bus tour ($2.00 and right there on the sidewalk where the courtesy bus drops you off), is a great thing to do to see the beach and the restaurants and such. Then you can come back and walk to what you decide on.

Yes, the beach break doesn't make any sense to me. The courtesy bus drops you off within walking distance from the beach and the beer is cheap. $70.00 for two people?
No towel animals - put your big girl panties on and deal with it!

Old April 2nd, 2007, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just take the bus into town and walk to the beach. You can sit almost anywhere on the beach and someone will bring you beer. Be sure to buy some of the candy that the man is selling. He will be walking around with a tray on his head. The candy is homemade and awsome. I brought a few pieces home with me and wish I had gotten a lot more.

Old April 13th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Corona Beach Party

We decided to do the beach on our own after reading up on cruise critic. We found a nice little spot on the beach and drank $ 1.00 beers all day. We walked through the Corona beach party and the free beer was mini Coronas. You can literally sit right next to the party and watch it all. I am glad we didn't waste the $35.00. At the end of the day, we walked the short distance back to town and rode the bus back to the boat.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

My DH and I did this in August 06. We had alot of fun...I thought the price was alright but I guess this next time we will go ahead and take that courtesy bus in and save some bucks.