Time of Calmest Waters on CA Coast

Due to currents and winds, seas can be rough along the West Coast just about any time. Some may say mid Spring and September-October time frames, but that all depends on weather, and you can't book a cruise dependent on when seas should be calm.

Lived here along the California coast for 58 years now...

Edited by CruiserBruce

The current is not only effected by local weather but also what happens up the coast, reaching to Alaska.

We've done several coastals and many other cruises on the west coast, at almost all times of year. Sometimes it smooth as glass. Other times it's bumpy. Choose a cabin low and midship for less movement.

If it has been stormy check out La Bufadora in Ensenada. Truly spectacular after a storm during high tide.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only taken 3 cruises on the West Coast. One in April, one in June and one in September. All three have had rough water for at least 1 day and night.

The currents in the Pacific lend toward having rough water, more often than not.

I always found it interesting that it was named Pacific, as I have not found it all that "peaceful".

Be prepared for rough water, and if you don't encounter it, be happy!

I always found it interesting that it was named Pacific, as I have not found it all that "peaceful".

Blame Magellan. The Pacific was a lot calmer than what he just went through going under South America. Pacific is a misnomer, based on the relative calmness of the water.

Edited by SadieN

I have only taken 3 cruises on the West Coast. One in April, one in June and one in September. All three have had rough water for at least 1 day and night.

The currents in the Pacific lend toward having rough water, more often than not.

Be prepared for rough water, and if you don't encounter it, be happy!

We too have had a similar experience. The ride back to port for departure is always the one I feel they are speeding to get back and the most bumpy. Usually only encounter this phenomenon on Mexican Riviera cruises headed back to SF or LA. Haven't done the costal yet (booked for this spring) but I would venture to say that there is no opportune time.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to it and taking my ginger pills:)