Safari Guide Tipping

spindrift

We will be taking a 4-day safari before our cruise next January plus a couple safaris from the ship. I have no idea the proper tipping for a guide or other individuals involved with the safari.

Please give me some advice.

I am a good tipper and was taught by my parents to do so. I miss their advice in this matter as I have lost them both. I am in my 70's and my husband in his 80's, and we thought we knew it all about tipping. I want it to be right. What better place to ask than here. Thank you in advance.

I have always wanted to travel to Africa on safari. One day I will have more money than brains and be able to afford these sort of things. I did a quick search online and found a post made on CNN states a variety of things to consider when traveling to Africa in relation to tipping. First of all, the majority of people in Africa, especially within the tourism industry, earn most of their money from tips. It is typically acceptable to tip between 10% and 15% at restaurants, but other professions, such as guides, should receive tips based on the length of time in your service. On average, they recommend that you tip between $15 and $20 per day for your guide.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Do they prefer the Rand or does the US dollar go further?

It looks like we can look at around $100 for the guide for the 4 day pre cruise safari. Not sure who else, but I imagine at the hotel/camp (Sibuya Forest), we will have some of the staff.

Appreciate all of your input. Thank you

We just returned from a 2.5 week trip to South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe. The tipping guidelines we received were similar to the response provided by "no fuss travel." Of the three safari lodges we visited, only one had a tracker. The tipping recommendation for the lodge staff tip pool was $10 per day. Our lodges were all very well-appointed and all-inclusive, except for alcohol.

We used US dollars for tips. In fact, the US dollar is the currency in Zimbabwe.

When you say "lodge pool," can you explain?

This would be the gratuity for housekeeping and dining wait staff. At three lodges, there was a tip box at registration for this purpose. Since meals were inclusive in the lodge rate, using the tip box was convenient. I believe all tips in the gratuity box were shared.

Excellent tipping advice provided in the previous posts.

Can I just mention that US dollars are not used in South Africa and therefore, the safari guides would prefer local currency (Rands). If you give them dollars, they may be able to exchange them at the lodge they are working at, but this is actually in contravention of exchange control laws so it is inconvenient for them to have dollars.

Exchange facilities are also not readily available in the smaller outlying areas so another reason why dollars would be inconvenient for them.

Thank you. So Rands it will be. In the event I need to use the US $$, then I will do so, but I think that I will take enough Rands. I can always exchange again when I get home.

It is great to have all the various inputs in this regard. Thanks everyone.

Credit cards (in particular Visa and Mastercard) are readily accepted at most merchants so you can pay for most of your purchases in this way.

The cash (Rands) will definitely be most welcome for tips.

Have a wonderful time in South Africa!

Are any of you familiar with Pumba Msenge Lodge & game preserve & can comment on it? It's about 1 1/2 hours from Port Elizabeth in the malaria free zone. It is a smaller preserve but since my wife can get an allergic reaction from alot of misqueto bites & we don't need malaria shots, we thought this is was a good alternative. We're going there in November, 2015 as part of a 3 day precruise package.