JW marriott Dubai

FLsunshinegal

We haven't stayed there yet but in about 2 months we will be staying there. I will try and remember to post after we have been if you still need some info. I am interested in what responses you get now.

I'd really appreciate knowing more about it. Dubai is a total mystery to me. I did read that the concierge lounge at the JW Dubai is one of their best.

• 2 weeks later...
Which JW Marriott in Dubai. There is the JW Marriott in Deira and the JW Marriott MARQUIS in Business Bay.

I have stayed at both and prefer the one in Deira.

Will you give your thoughts on the Business Bay one please? That is the one we are staying at in about a month. Part of a cruise package so we didn't have an option with the hotel. Thanks.

Will you give your thoughts on the Business Bay one please? That is the one we are staying at in about a month. Part of a cruise package so we didn't have an option with the hotel. Thanks.

Not my favorite - I am rather picky on hotels. I found the hotel too big and sterile.

Rooms are nice. Average size. Modern furnishings.

Service is ok. Too many trainees.

Location is in a new area and there is lots of construction.

Hotel has a shuttle that runs every 40 minutes to the Dubai Mall.

Exec lounge is large and food is good.

Restaurants are expensive. Best to eat in the many places near the Dubai Mall.

Edited by PaulMCO

We are also staying at the JW in April ...arriving on the Wind Star from Singapore.....doing my research now on what to do in Dubai.....if you have any ideas of what to see and visit....

Thanks Bill and Judy

Myrtle Beach, SC

Shop - Shop..... but Depends on your interests....

Shopping.... Dubai Mall - Emirates Mall - Gold Souk

Casual Evening -- Dinner by the Dubai Mall/Burj Kalifa - dancing fountain lights

Local Arabic Food -- visit the Heritage/Dive Village a number of outside restaurants along the Dubai Creek. Especially nice in April before it get hot.

Dhow cruise on the creek -- my opinion overpriced and food is not very good

Active -- Dune 4x4 ride out in the desert

My own opinion -- I do not like the tourist traps and restaurants in Jumeirah.

• 3 months later...
Just stayed at the JW Marriott in Diera. Nice and clean hotel with good service but overpriced restaurants.

Thanks so much for this information. Did you take a taxi from the airport? Was it difficult and could you give me an idea of how much it was?

I very much appreciate your help.

Yes, we took a cab but I don't remember how much it was. It was not a hassle at all. You may want to have the name and address of the hotel written out to show the cab driver. Don't be intimidated by all of the "stuff" that you read. UAE depends on tourists ad we were treated well at all times.

Yes, we took a cab but I don't remember how much it was. It was not a hassle at all. You may want to have the name and address of the hotel written out to show the cab driver. Don't be intimidated by all of the "stuff" that you read. UAE depends on tourists ad we were treated well at all times.

I appreciate hearing that it is a good experience as we have heard all of the horror tales!:eek:

I had been reading nothing but horror tales so was very apprehensive about going there. It was fine. The gold souk was not what I had anticipated. The Dubai Mall was incredible with the cleanest public restrooms I have ever seen in my life. The tram in Dubai is clean, easy and fast. We did the hop on hop off bus to get an overview of the area.

I had been reading nothing but horror tales so was very apprehensive about going there. It was fine. The gold souk was not what I had anticipated. The Dubai Mall was incredible with the cleanest public restrooms I have ever seen in my life. The tram in Dubai is clean, easy and fast. We did the hop on hop off bus to get an overview of the area.

Now I'm even more excited about going!:)

We're booked here in April 2015 and wondered if anyone had stayed there. We've never been to Dubai before and wondered about the location, hotel itself, etc.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The JW Marquis is a beautiful hotel with great service and I have always found their restaurants to be delicious with great ambiance and service to match. Though you are right across from Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall, you will still need to take a taxi to get there for convenience. It will be around twenty dirham or $5. If you plan to visit Burj Khalifa "At the Top" be sure to book ahead online as there will be significant savings. As an alternative, you can also enjoy drinks at At.mosphere with a great view. Reserve ahead and there is a minimum spend. You won't be able to go to the outside deck with this options but can enjoy a leisurely time at this great height on the 122nd floor. There are many great restaurants in the area. For the best view of the Dubai Fountains, go to Thiptara at the Palace Hotel as their out door deck extends into the "lake" where the fountains are. Thiptara serves Thai food. You can also see the fountain show during the day at one and one-thirty. My favorite neighborhood place to eat is the Courtyard at the Al Manzil Hotel across the street on Sheik Mohammed bin Rashid Boulevard. For great Lebanese food, try Wafi Gourmet or Karam Beirut in the Dubai Mall. They are not licensed but you will have great fountain views and delicious food.

To experience the real Dubai, visit the Sh. Mohammed Center for Cultural Understanding along the creek. They also sponsor walks of the Bastakiya area of old Dubai or al Fahidi district. You will be in the vicinity of the old souks. Be sure to ride an abra across the creek for just one dirham ($.27) You can also walk along the creek on the Deira side near the Radisson Blu to see the dhows in action supplying Dubai with numerous goods.

http://www.cultures.ae/

If you decide to do a dinner cruise on the creek, Bataux offers a nice sit-down dinner. Though it is not an old style dhow, the food is much better.

http://www.jaresortshotels.com/Properties/BateauxDubai/TheBoat/TheStory.aspx

If you are doing a Big Bus Tour (HOHO), one of the routes includes a trip to the museums in the emirate of Sharjah which is next door to Dubai with a great Islamic Museum. If you have the time, be sure to visit the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhbai...you won't be disappointed.

Enjoy your time in Dubai.

Thank you lilybob for all your information. I'm going to Dubai in December. Our cruise has an overnight, and I have to stay one night due to flight times.

You have given me some great ideas as to what to do when there.

Thank you

Joyce :D

Thank you lilybob for all your information. I'm going to Dubai in December. Our cruise has an overnight, and I have to stay one night due to flight times.

You have given me some great ideas as to what to do when there.

Thank you

You are most welcome. If you have yet to book a hotel and want to be downtown let me know and I can suggest a few that are convenient to Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall. December is the perfect weather time of year in Dubai. Enjoy!

You are most welcome. If you have yet to book a hotel and want to be downtown let me know and I can suggest a few that are convenient to Burj Khalifa and Dubai Mall. December is the perfect weather time of year in Dubai. Enjoy!

I haven't booked a hotel yet. All suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you so much.

I haven't booked a hotel yet. All suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you so much.

My favorite is The Palace downtown Dubai. If you click on hotels in the link you will also see The Address Downtown Dubai and The Address Dubai Mall which are equally as nice and modern Arabic

http://www.theaddress.com/en/hotels/the-palace-downtown-dubai/index.aspx

Vida and al Manzil are also Emaar properties but more reasonably priced. They are across the street from Dubai Mall complex. You will be within walking distance of the metro from any of these properties via the Dubai Mall Bridge. The metro will connect you to Mall of the Emirates where the indoor ski slope is. You can also take metro to the Marina Mall and catch the water taxi for a ride around Atlantis. I think another night may be required!

al Manzil

http://al-manzil-hotel-dubai.com/

Vida

http://www.vida-hotels.com/en/index.aspx

Those are lovely looking hotels, and maybe someday I'll stay in one of them...but for now, I choose a more affordable hotel. I'm only staying because of the flight times. Both my cruises each have an overnight in Dubai so I figure that I can see the sights while being able to sleep on the ship.

Thank you for your wonderful suggestions!! :D