Canada Place Terminal

We have been to Vancouver twice, sailing out of Canada Place both times. Unfortunately, both times there were three ships in port with the normal hordes of people getting off and hoards of people trying to get on. All passing one another. We know getting there later in the afternoon is best -- it is not always an option (early flights from the US, having to depart from the hotels by 11 or 12 noon, etc.) and there you are, with luggage. It is a beautiful city and Canada Place is also beautiful and a beautiful port to sail from. However, inside the terminal there is no place to be, no area to sit, no way to drop off your luggage (other than pay to have it 'held') -- i.e. no sense of order. This is just our take, and our opinion, of course -- but so many other terminals have you divided from those departing and seats to wait in comfort and divided into sections so when it is time to register and then either board or wait in another area, you feel welcomed. San Pedro (Los Angeles) comes to mind. Does anyone have a comment about this?

We are staying at the Pan Pacific the night before and have heard that they will transfer your luggage from the room to you cabin. Has anyone had experience of this and does it work okay?

Southampton UK is a great port to cruise from very relaxed check in plenty of seating and full segregation. The closest we have had to the scrum you describe is San Deigo but eve that was not to bad, just a lot of people.

We are staying at the Pan Pacific the night before and have heard that they will transfer your luggage from the room to you cabin. Has anyone had experience of this and does it work okay?

Southampton UK is a great port to cruise from very relaxed check in plenty of seating and full segregation. The closest we have had to the scrum you describe is San Deigo but eve that was not to bad, just a lot of people.

I have stayed at the PP and then embarked on a cruise. The transfer of luggage works quite well. You just call the bell desk to tell them that the luggage is ready. You need to be in the room with the luggage when the bellman arrives. He'll staple the luggage tags to the bags (if required), and ask you a few questions (to make sure that you have your passport, boarding pass, valuables, etc. with you). Then he'll take your luggage. The next time you'll see it is in your cabin, on the ship.

I have been twice this year at Canada Place with three ships turning around. It is a gong show with that many people embarking/disembarking. If you can arrange for late check out, do so. You will be much more comfortable waiting in your hotel room than at the terminal. The PP has an Alaska Cruise package that allows for a 2 pm checkout.

It can go a little easier, but still long waits, if someone in your party requires assistance to board, like a wheelchair. The first time, we arrived at the terminal around 1 pm and were checked in within half an hour. The second time, we arrived early and waited upstairs (they had seating in the convention centre foyer for the people requiring assistance) for over an hour and a half, and then downstairs for another hour before being picked up and whisked through immigration, security and check-in.

If there is only one or two ships turning around the day you're there, count your blessings! It should be much easier.

I have stayed at the PP and then embarked on a cruise. The transfer of luggage works quite well. You just call the bell desk to tell them that the luggage is ready. You need to be in the room with the luggage when the bellman arrives. He'll staple the luggage tags to the bags (if required), and ask you a few questions (to make sure that you have your passport, boarding pass, valuables, etc. with you). Then he'll take your luggage. The next time you'll see it is in your cabin, on the ship.

I have been twice this year at Canada Place with three ships turning around. It is a gong show with that many people embarking/disembarking. If you can arrange for late check out, do so. You will be much more comfortable waiting in your hotel room than at the terminal. The PP has an Alaska Cruise package that allows for a 2 pm checkout.

It can go a little easier, but still long waits, if someone in your party requires assistance to board, like a wheelchair. The first time, we arrived at the terminal around 1 pm and were checked in within half an hour. The second time, we arrived early and waited upstairs (they had seating in the convention centre foyer for the people requiring assistance) for over an hour and a half, and then downstairs for another hour before being picked up and whisked through immigration, security and check-in.

If there is only one or two ships turning around the day you're there, count your blessings! It should be much easier.

Thank you for your advice. We normally like to board early but will see if we can check out a bit later this time. Maybe spend some more time enjoying the city. There are only due to be 2 ships in so hopefully not to bad..

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

For the Pan Pacific luggage service, did you wait a while before you gave it to them? I'd hate for my luggage to get mixed in with all the luggage coming off the ship.

Thanks for the heads up on the busy terminal. I just checked the port schedule and it looks like our ship is the only one there that day, if the schedule can be trusted this early.

For the Pan Pacific luggage service, did you wait a while before you gave it to them? I'd hate for my luggage to get mixed in with all the luggage coming off the ship.

Thanks for the heads up on the busy terminal. I just checked the port schedule and it looks like our ship is the only one there that day, if the schedule can be trusted this early.

IIRC, I called the bell desk about noon or shortly after (we had late checkout). I think the bellman came up within 10 - 15 minutes. He chatted for a while about the congestion at the terminal, and asked his questions. He advised us to stay in the hotel room, since it was more comfortable than the terminal, which we did until about 1:00 or 1:30.

I don't think your luggage would get mixed up with the luggage of the debarking pax. Most pax are usually off the ship by 9:30 am and there isn't much point for embarking pax to get to the terminal before 10:30. If you're staying at the PP, you can check out from your room and take the elevator down to the cruise ship terminal level in 5 - 10 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

[dropping luggage at the Pan PacificQUOTE=StLucia;44442430]We are staying at the Pan Pacific the night before and have heard that they will transfer your luggage from the room to you cabin. Has anyone had experience of this and does it work okay?

We actually took our luggage down to the Bell Captain desk about 9aM because we didn't want to call and wait. After an "we would have come to get it discussion" all was good. We tipped just as if they'd come to get it.

It worked great. We love this hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

I too love the Pan Pacific and have stayed there multiple times even though I am a local :):)

I have embarked when there were 3 big ships in port and thought they handled it very well.

The slow down is clearing US immigration and customs (which for all Alaskan cruises is done in Vancouver prior to boarding the ship) ... Which the Vancouver Port Authority has no control over...

My solution is simply be early and bring my patience - which we did and we were aboard in an hour (by 11:45)...

IMO early is always better than later... No matter which port

As the present time there is work going on in the security area of the port to try and improve the handling of passengers especially when there are three ships in port which will occur a little more frequently now that Ballantyne Pier won't be used on overflow weekends.

This work has necessiated the Christmas at Canada Place event to move back upstairs and use the foyer and promenade area of Canada Place - so no indoor skating or train rides this year but Santa will still be there.

Cheers!

Dennis

• 1 month later...
inside the terminal there is no place to be, no area to sit, no way to drop off your luggage (other than pay to have it 'held') -- i.e. no sense of order. This is just our take, and our opinion, of course -- but so many other terminals have you divided from those departing and seats to wait in comfort and divided into sections so when it is time to register and then either board or wait in another area, you feel welcomed. San Pedro (Los Angeles) comes to mind. Does anyone have a comment about this?

With regards to luggage...

• security is important and paid holding services at the cruise terminal and airport is available.
  • your overnight hotel is the next best choice where it's held in your room and transported to cruise terminal when you ready to board.
  • early morning flight arrival? not sure when the terminal starts to accept your checked luggage, but you can drop off your luggage at the terminal for check-in then wander back out for a few hours waiting for your PAT check-in time later in afternoon. Just don't show up late missing the boat!