river levels

Ginner 60

August is considered the most predictable month for good water levels. Even though there are exceptions to that rule with odd weather occurrences, it is generally considered the 'best' time to do river cruises and the prices reflect that. It's the month I chose after seeing many May and June river cruises having high water level problems and other months having low water level problems.

I don't know of a website to check for water levels, but if someone does, that would be a great help. :)

Even though you might get "averages", the river level is very dependent on the weather, which can be unpredictable lately. Case in point, the Rhine was very very low during early July due to low amount of snowfall during the winter, and then low rain in Spring. Then, all of a sudden it rained in July, more in a week than it usually does the entire summer, and then. . .the the river was almost too high. Don't forget the locks breaking down at least once a season some place on the river. . . If you are truly worried investigate "cancel for any reason" insurance. I don't know how it works, and if you get your airfare refunded or when you need to pull the plug in order to get the refund, because one day the river can be fine, and a few hours later, a no go.

You can check water levels on all German rivers on this website recommended by Notamermaid. http://www.wetteronline.de/pegelstaende?gid=SAC

I hope I transcribed correctly.

It’s in German but the graphics are good. The map gives you the deviation from the mean water level (Flusspegel or Pegel or Pegelstand in the German language). Hover your cursor above the green or red markers to find the names of cities and rivers.

The more green means the more below average water levels, the more red means the more above average.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a nice website, very informative. I added the "translate" button to my Internet toolbar and when you press that, everything is then in English.

We are cruising the Danube in Dec. We are hoping for the best!