Is this theory true?

shoegal24

I'm 2 months out from my cruise.

I've heard that the closer you get, the better the upgrade you'll get.

I have a BG guarantee category balcony room... still not assigned a room.

Think I'll get a really nice upgrade? Or is the theory fruitless?

You are absolutely guaranteed....to get a BG category room somehere on the ship.

Other than that, its a roll of the dice. Every single itinerary is different, what happens on one for one week can be the opposite of what happened the week before.

Never heard that. The only thing that's guaranteed is a BG category cabin. Upgrades are based on supply and demand, and are different for every cruise. It's a gamble.

My last two cruises I had a BG guarantee category balcony and ended up with BA balcony both times.

The first time I had the cabin asignement in about a week, Caribe deck. I booked the cruise in August for a November sailing.

The second time I booked in October for a March sailing and had the cabin asignment the next day, Lido deck.

We were very happy with the way our BG guarantee balcony turned out.

I think you will get a nice cabin asignment.

Enjoy your cruise.

we have had guarantees and didnt find out our cabin # until we checked in at the pier

I think what is fruitless is expecting you will get an upgrade in the first place.

There are only what' date=' 4 BG rooms on the entire ship? And they sold what, 200 of them guaranteed? Chances are you will indeed be upgraded, but I have to believe the system is designed that way. I hope you end up with a location you can live with.[/quote']You are right in that there are very few BG cabins. However, someone will book them or be assigned the GTY. :) The only difference in balcony categories other than those on Caribe deck is location and one person might love a location that the next person hates.

We didn't have a guarantee and got a letter last Tuesday that we were upgraded. Our cruise is 2 weeks from today. We had booked an OV on Plaza deck and now have a balcony on Lido deck. Sooooo excited, Thanks Princess!!!!

We feel fortunate as this also happened to us on our Med cruise in 2008. Went from OV on Plaza to balcony on Baja.

We booked our CP cruise next year in a M class cabin guarantee. No expectations so an upgrade would be a plus.:p
The one time I've had an interior cabin was on Plaza deck on the Sea Princess. Loved the location. You'll have a great cruise on the Sea Princess.

They use a dart board to select upgrades!

We booked a BE guarantee for our September 9th cruise to the Med on Pacific Princess. Last week we were upgraded to a BA aft and couldn't be happier. This is the first time we gambled with a guarantee and it paid off.

We booked a BG GTY on our last cruise and got a great cabin on Lido deck. I hope when Princess changes the categories next year, that the 4 BG's stay the same, but that's probably not likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We booked our CP cruise next year in a M class cabin guarantee. No expectations so an upgrade would be a plus.:p

I fully expect that you will likely get a slight upgrade if the ship does not sell well. They will say congratulations on your complimentary upgrade and then market the M class at a discounted price. It locks you in at whatever price you paid. It gives the cruiseline the opportunity to discount the cabins and not have early bookers cry fowl.......

They use a dart board to select upgrades!

Theory is fruitless. There is really no rhyme or reason to upgrades.

Not really. From what I understand, if they need YOUR cabin, they'll offer/give you an upgrade into another category where they have excess inventory.

I've booked guarantees and gotten the exact category I booked. I've also gotten small upgrades and some fair upgrades. You never know. Now I book the cabin I want so I know I'll be happy with it. I love deals, but I also don't want to hate my cabin location for my whole vacation. I generally only get one vacation a year and I want it to be nice. When I retire I may play the GTY game again as I'll have more time to go (and less money). ;)

We didn't have a guarantee and got a letter last Tuesday that we were upgraded. Our cruise is 2 weeks from today. We had booked an OV on Plaza deck and now have a balcony on Lido deck. Sooooo excited, Thanks Princess!!!!

We feel fortunate as this also happened to us on our Med cruise in 2008. Went from OV on Plaza to balcony on Baja.

The Upgrade Fairy must like you! ;)

Archived