No Princess Cays Jan. 19 Dawn

susiesan

It's official: Princess Cays is a no go for the Jan. 19 sailing of the Dawn. They have subbed Nassau from 7:00am until noon. Why so short? There is no time to do anything. If we were going to be at Princess Cays all day I don't understand why we have to leave Nassau so early. Our next 2 days are at sea so it's not like we'll be late to the next port. Any answers out there?

Susie

We leave on the Dawn Princess Thursday, and they have cancelled Princess Cays and given us another(3 days total) sea day with only 3 ports of call on a seven day cruise.

They did not issue us any ship baord credit. Do you think they should have? We wouldn't have booked this cruise if I had so many sea days.

Our cruise on Jan 15th on Carribean Princess has substituted Princess Cays for San Juan. I don't really have a problem with it but was wondering also if they normally give shipboard credit for these types of things. Currently they are not offering shore excursion bookings on the cruise personalizer. I wonder if this will be updated. Has anyone did the night walking tour thing in San Juan?

I believe you do not get credit for Princess Cays because Princess does not pay port fees there since they own the port. When our Grand Cayman stop was cancelled we only got like $19 a person anyhow so really you aren't missing out on all that much credit.

It's official: Princess Cays is a no go for the Jan. 19 sailing of the Dawn. They have subbed Nassau from 7:00am until noon. Why so short? There is no time to do anything. If we were going to be at Princess Cays all day I don't understand why we have to leave Nassau so early. Our next 2 days are at sea so it's not like we'll be late to the next port. Any answers out there?

Susie

Perhaps the schedule for Nassau is out of Princess's hand. That may be the only time they were able to gert from the port authority on short notice.

Scott

When princess arranged these ports there had not been a hurrican season....nature unfortunately dos not let anyone know in advance.

As regards other ports....these could have been booked up for those days by other cruise lines in advance.

Realize that everyone must get disappointed I do have empathy with you....

Lets put it this way how do you feel Princess should handle these situations....so that Princess and yourselves are happy with one another?

To me, it sounds like something is still fishy with the Dawn Princess. I don't think the engine change was actually accomplished, since the hurricanes did so much damage at the yard where the work was supposedly scheduled.
Wow, Think so? Your right they got hit also hard. What did they do there all that time?

Bring in the CSI investagator.

When I am the ship next week I will try to get down to the engine room and talk to the mechanics snoop around for the fact.

According to cruisecal.com there is only 1 other ship in Nassau that day, Sovereign of the Seas, so dock space is not the problem. The other ship leaves early too. I would think the Bahamian gov't would want cruise passengers there all day spending money. Something is up with this ship...

GVRE: I thought all the Dawn sailings were for 10 days. Are you sure you got the right cruise?

Susie

To me, it sounds like something is still fishy with the Dawn Princess. I don't think the engine change was actually accomplished, since the hurricanes did so much damage at the yard where the work was supposedly scheduled.
RUMOUR ALERT! RUMOUR ALERT!

Susie... we're on the Caribbean Princess, leaving next Saturday and we had Nassau substituted for Princess Cays as well. We're scheduled there from 12:30PM - 5PM so it's not just the Dawn Princess.

I know that for the date that we'll be there, there'll be at least one other ship there but together, that's over 6,000 people disembarking all at once. Not being an expert on island port authorities or capabilities, I have no idea whether the port can handle 6000+ people or not so I'd hesitate to say that there's no reason why more ships couldn't dock. That's really up to the port and what the cruiseline can negotiate.

It's understandable, there's been a lot of confusion about the ship, the itineraries, and the reason for changes. Princess' head office really hasn't helped, either. Probably the major reason for the short stop in Nassau is that the sailing distance to the next port of call has increased significantly. How long does it take to get from Nassau to the southern end of Eleuthera (Princess Cays), where the next leg of your cruise would have started? That time needs to be figured in.

Like I relied on aother post, Princess has a hard task. Trying to please every passenger.

Nassau, San Juan, Extra day at sea. I am sure they received hundreds of phone calls, telling them what to do.

I am just glad to be cruising. Away from SNOW.

Maybe by doing a half day, they are pleasing 2 sets of passengers, the ones who want a port, and the ones who want an extra sea day. One half day for each.

I just returned from the Star Princess. We stopped in Nassau from 12-5 and at the time we were there - there was also RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Carnival Fascination, a Radisson ship, RCCL Splendor (or Sovereign?) of the Seas, an Imperial Majesty ship and possibly one other ship. I couldn't believe how busy the port was - I wish I had just stayed on the ship.

So, the port can technically handle multiple ships.

Archived