US visa for 5 day stay in Rio timeline question

corpkid

The two of us are traveling to S.America/Rio for the first time from Florida on 12/12/12 (a coincidence, I promise). We will be flying to Houston, then direct to GIG overnight and spending 4 days before boarding a 9 night Azamara cruise down to Buenos Aires.

What is the best time to apply for a Brazil visa - it looks quite involved? Am I correct in thinking a Brazil visa is only good for 6 months?

Thank you!

Nope, a tourist visa is good for 10 years!

See, http://brazil.usembassy.gov/10yearvisa2.html

And the application requirements vary slightly by regional consulate--find yours here: http://washington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/consular_and_visa_services.xml If Houston is your consulate and you want to use an agent, I highly recommend this service: http://www.bcvisa.com/ I have no relation to them--got a rec here or on TripAdvisor and used them for our March cruise out of Brazil. Their service fee is low, but their service is great--we had turnaround in under a week providing prepaid FedEx return pkg'ing.

Enjoy your trip! I hope you can squeeze in a side trip to Iguazu Falls!

What is the best time to apply for a Brazil visa - it looks quite involved? Am I correct in thinking a Brazil visa is only good for 6 months?

Thank you!

Timing of the issuance of the visa is important as I believe applicable Brasilian law requires the visa holder to enter Brasil within 90 days of the date the visa was issued.

Nope, a tourist visa is good for 10 years!

See, http://brazil.usembassy.gov/10yearvisa2.html

And the application requirements vary slightly by regional consulate--find yours here: http://washington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/consular_and_visa_services.xml If Houston is your consulate and you want to use an agent, ...

Good sites, but a resident in FL is required to use the Brasilian embassy in Miami. Houston is not an option. http://miami.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas_general_information.xml

Enjoy your trip! I hope you can squeeze in a side trip to Iguazu Falls!

A post or pre-cruise visit to the Iguazu falls is highly recommended as is spending at least 3 nights in Buenos Aires post cruise. There's a lot to do, see, and eat! Ususally 2 nights in Iguazu is sufficient, one day for the Brasilian side, one for the Argentine side. Flights are best booked in advance, but whether you opt to do it before or after the cruise remember that the baggage limit on domestic flights is a lot less than what you will probably be traveling with, so plan accordingly. If you opt to visit the falls after the cruise, then it would be a relatively simple matter to leave the excess baggage at the hotel in which you stayed. Domestic flights leave from the downtown airport, Jorge Newberry, which is just a few miles from where you will be staying so the logistics will be relatively simple.

I got wrapped around the axel on this before the 2012 SA Grand Voyage. Between the holidays and not visiting Brazil until near the end of a very long cruise, the timing was a little overwhelming.

I would absolutely recommend using a visa service for this. ZVS worked with me to time it exactly right to meet all requirements (especially the part about not applying too early).

The Brazilian visa application is a little complicated and required some extra documentation such as a recent bank statement. Just be absolutely certain that you have prepared your application package correctly and completely before you send it to the visa service. There is not much margin for error, nor is there time for do-overs.

Timing of the issuance of the visa is important as I believe applicable Brasilian law requires the visa holder to enter Brasil within 90 days of the date the visa was issued.

Note: This 90 day requirement was done away with almost 2 years ago.

Currently, tourist visas issued to US passport holders are valid for 10 years, yes.

The Consulate's website should give you their normal turnaround time for visas. It should also state that particular Consulate location's requirements for paperwork. (i.e. not all require a bank statement)

*However, be aware that the process often slows down considerably at times of high season peak demand, such as before NYE and Carnaval.* Your travel plans for 12/12/12 might fall into this peak demand time, so think of applying a bit early to avoid the nervewracking countdown I've too often seen reported on many forums.

OK. There have been changes so please disregard some of the responses. We got our Brazil Visa this past May for travel for early next year and this is my third Brazilian Visa so I am quite familiar with the process.

It used to be that you have to enter Brazil within 90 days of issuance of the Visa. That requirement no longer exists.

And the tourist visa is now good for 10 years.

My opinion is to get it now. Why? Because many people will wait till the October time frame as many travel between December and March. There will be a backlog then. How long? Hard to tell. There is no reason to wait.

Just so you also know and this is not new when you get the Visa even if your passport expires in say 2 years you can enter the country by bringing both the new passport and the old one with the visa.

Again, my recommendation is apply now.

As to documentation you have to provide a copy of your drivers license and there are about five states (they will be listed) where you have to provide a copy of a bank statement but you can white out the account number. This will all be noted on the application.

Keith

^ Keith is correct, and again, the link I provided in my initial response is the Brazilian Embassy link with a list of all regional consulates in the US. You should use it to find the website for the consulate to which you will apply, depending on your state of residence:

http://washington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/consular_and_visa_services.xml

Great - I had heard both the 10 year and the 90 days rule, so I was pretty confused. I will be using the Miami consulate and will get going on this right away.

You don't need a visa for entry into Buenos Aires, do you? We will be spending 5 days after the cruise there before flying home on New Year's Eve.

Should be quite a trip, and I'm about to nuts on the S. America boards asking questions about all the stuff to do. We both have been dreaming of going to SA for a long time and now we have 3 weeks planned (5 days in Rio, 9 days on the ship, and 5 days in BA + the 2 flying days). So excited and being a skydiver, I'm VERY excited to try hang gliding! :eek:

Thanks all for the help - I will get cracking on those visa apps this weekend!

Great - I had heard both the 10 year and the 90 days rule, so I was pretty confused. I will be using the Miami consulate and will get going on this right away.

You don't need a visa for entry into Buenos Aires, do you? We will be spending 5 days after the cruise there before flying home on New Year's Eve.

Should be quite a trip, and I'm about to nuts on the S. America boards asking questions about all the stuff to do. We both have been dreaming of going to SA for a long time and now we have 3 weeks planned (5 days in Rio, 9 days on the ship, and 5 days in BA + the 2 flying days). So excited and being a skydiver, I'm VERY excited to try hang gliding! :eek:

Thanks all for the help - I will get cracking on those visa apps this weekend!

The good news is no visa required for Argentina, including Buenos Aires.

Keith

I was able to make two 360 mile round trips to Brazil's Chicago consulate for less than it would cost me to use a visa service for the two of us. I could have saved more using the mail, but it was last minute and I was not entirely certain of the fees. As a retiree, I had time available to apply in person. I spent a long while making sure the paperwork was complete and had no trouble dropping off my application and then picking up my visa a few days later.

I am thinking I am just going to drive down to Miami and turn my visa application and documentation in person, as I am not comfortable putting my passport in the mail. (Plus, I'm overdue for a nice Miami Beach long weekend!) :D

That said, do I need to make an appointment to do this or can I just walk into the consulate? Thanks!

I am thinking I am just going to drive down to Miami and turn my visa application and documentation in person, as I am not comfortable putting my passport in the mail. (Plus, I'm overdue for a nice Miami Beach long weekend!) :D

That said, do I need to make an appointment to do this or can I just walk into the consulate? Thanks!

Here is their phone number. I would call them no matter what is posted to make sure there haven't been any changes in the way they deal with them.

Tel: (305) 285-6200

Keith

The website for the Miami Brazilian Consulate states:

"Visa applications will be received from 10 am to 12 noon only (no appointments necessary).

If approved, the visa will be ready for pick-up in 5 business days, from 3pm to 4pm."

http://miami.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visas_general_information.xml

Download the application form and have it filled out, to submit with the other documents/photo(s) required.

Note: None of the Brazilian Consulates actually answers their phone. Also, with email, it may take several weeks before a reply is received and generally, it will not be specific to your case.

Thanks. I express shipped off our passports, a copy of our last 3 bank statements, a copy of our driver license, a signed statement of purpose for our visit, the airline and cruise details indicating enter/exit, the actual application form with new passport photos glued to it, a $180 application fee check, in the form of a USPS Money Order, a self-addressed EXPRESS OVERNIGHT envelope in the outbound envelope.

About $40pp in shipping and money order fees. (Plus $180 for the actual processing).

too difficult given the good relationship between the US and Brazil - but what do I know!? :)

^ Nice! Apparently, we (the US) require a similar amount of paperwork and significant fee PLUS an interview before Brazilians can get a tourist visa to come to the US. The interview requirement injects enough hassle and delay into the process that many give up and travel elsewhere. Bummer!

If you can get to a consulate, the process is much easier. It took three working days to get ours in Vancouver.

Hi, as someone who also needs to use the Vancouver Consulate, and you have already gone there is:

I read somewhere (cannot remember where) that you need to take your boarding documents/confirmation documents from Carnival, as well as bank information, in order to get a Tourist Visa as a Canadian passport holder. Is that true? I could not find that on the website for the Vancouver Consulate but ? maybe I missed it.

thanks for any direction/help.

Elsie

^ Nice! Apparently, we (the US) require a similar amount of paperwork and significant fee PLUS an interview before Brazilians can get a tourist visa to come to the US. The interview requirement injects enough hassle and delay into the process that many give up and travel elsewhere. Bummer!

Yes, heretofore it was a difficult process for ordinary Brasilians to obtain a visa to visit the US including the somewhat adversarial personal interview, but I understand that the US requirements have recently been significantly relaxed. Has the interview requirement been eliminated? Perhaps this will lead to a reciprocal relaxation of Brasilian reqirements towards "Americans."

I am the process of applying for mine here in Vancouver - will likely drop it off either tomorrow or Friday - like you I see no reference to needing a copy of the boarding pass etc but you do need a short signed letter explaning your itinerary - when you will be arriving and leaving, the purpose of the trip and if applicable who in Brazil invited you.

You need proof of income and employment - which includes an offical letter from your employer and one of the following - photocopy of recent bank statement or copy of last notice of tax assessment.

As I am retired - no letter from employer but must provide BOTH bank statement and tax assessment notice.

Their web site is saying the processing time here is about one week.

Will post how this goes.

Cheers!

Dennis

Yes, heretofore it was a difficult process for ordinary Brasilians to obtain a visa to visit the US including the somewhat adversarial personal interview, but I understand that the US requirements have recently been significantly relaxed. Has the interview requirement been eliminated? Perhaps this will lead to a reciprocal relaxation of Brasilian reqirements towards "Americans."

In practice, little has changed, despite the publicity. The process is still very much subject to what often appears to be the whim (they would, of course, use the word judgement--I would often add 'poor' before the word) of the interviewing staff.

For example, how do you justify refusing a new visa to someone who's already been granted one that ran out, has traveled to the US and always returned on time, is beginning a professional career (doctor) in Brazil which provides sufficient money and time to travel, has no legal issues, and does have legal relatives (mother and father) in the US to visit?

In practice, little has changed, despite the publicity. The process is still very much subject to what often appears to be the whim (they would, of course, use the word judgement--I would often add 'poor' before the word) of the interviewing staff.

For example, how do you justify refusing a new visa to someone who's already been granted one that ran out, has traveled to the US and always returned on time, is beginning a professional career (doctor) in Brazil which provides sufficient money and time to travel, has no legal issues, and does have legal relatives (mother and father) in the US to visit?

:) I am informed that the personal interview is no longer required for a Brasilian renewing a US visa. It still is required when applying for a new one.

Yes, I can confirm that the judgment of the interviewing staff can be whimsical. When my Brasilian wife and I went to the US Embassy in Rio and were in the interview process to renew her visa, things were drudging along surprisingly slowly for someone in her position (i.e. married to me, a US cit and a permanent Brasilian resident, Rio homeowners, and owner of a Rio business establishment) until the interviewer, a pleasant enough young chap, asked me for some local ID to which I replied "would my Zona Sul shopping card be adequate?" That seemed to be the comic relief to have him wind up things rapidly.

Follow up to my post about getting my Visa.

Well dropped off the Visa application at the Vancouver office today - will likely be a week for it to be processed but all the paperwork seemed to be order - was asked a few questions about my employment history as where I used to work and for how long and what job did I have - a very pleasant gal who took the application and was nice enough to accept even though it is only supposed to be done in the morning - didn't see that on the web site - pick up will be in the afternoon.

Once the Visa is in order then it will be time to start booking the train travel and getting the travel insurance taken care of.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived