Queen Victoria - 3rd August 2013

Gavinwales1

Yes, we are flying into London from NYC. We've sailed on the Mary 2 and Elizabeth, but not Victoria. Hopefully we'll a nice group onboard.

Yes i hope so i will be on my own for the last few days so would be good to make some friends to chat with. It looks like so far its just us on onboard? i am not so sure if the destination or the ship will attract many FODs

Yes i hope so i will be on my own for the last few days so would be good to make some friends to chat with. It looks like so far its just us on onboard? i am not so sure if the destination or the ship will attract many FODs

Many people don't use this site or even know about it. I just discovered it less than two years ago. On our last QE sailing, I didn't see anyone here. Yet we had a very nice group on board. It's a nice ship and interesting itinerary. So there probably won't be a lack of friends to chat with. In any case, you've already "met" us! Are your friends leaving the ship before the cruise ends?

• 2 weeks later...

Was looking at some of the shore excursions. We usually go on our own, but some of the sights require a lot of travel and transfers. Don't want to miss the ship in the middle of the Norwegian wilderness! Really wanted to hike to the top of Pulpit Rock. There's no shore excursion for that, but found a post from someone who had done it on a cruise stop. It's tight, but doable. The Cunard site does not list the specific ship arrival and departure times, just "early morning," etc. I'll have to check for the specifics.

Surprised that there are still no other posts here. But I still think there will be others on board. I had been looking at this site for years before I even knew there were rolls calls.

Looking forward to being back in England again too!

Hi,

Yes i am sure we have some more people. Yes we wanted to walk the pulpit too but its a long time out and bit risky so we are doing the cruise past it. At least we can look up at the pulpit.

Looking forward to meet you both.

Regards

G

Hi,

Yes i am sure we have some more people. Yes we wanted to walk the pulpit too but its a long time out and bit risky so we are doing the cruise past it. At least we can look up at the pulpit.

Looking forward to meet you both.

Regards

G

We also booked that tour, but not through the cruise line. So probably won't be on the same boat. The view from the top of the Pulpit looks amazing. It will be tempting to forgo the tour and take the hike if the ship gets in early. We also booked excursions independently in Flam and Honningsvag. Should be an interesting journey, especially if the weather cooperates. Hope to see you on board next week!

Jim

I went to Pulpit Rock on 27th July 12, so just a year ago. When you get to the start its a 2 hour walk on rough ground / rocks. The trail is easy to find and will probably be packed with people which can slow you down especially on the sections where it is narrow and you have to climb up or down (not difficult climbing just up / down a staircase of rocks). The walk is worth it though, the view from the rock is amazing. When we arrived at the rock last year there was a lot of mist and visibility was not great, but we waited and over an hour or so the mist clear - Wow. I even crawled to the edge and looked down - gulp - 604m to the water. There are no safety rails, ropes or signs. People are all very well behaved, it feels very safe. You don't have to get close to the edge and in fact you can climb up higher and get a great photo looking down (see photo attached) on the rock with the fjord in the background.

I am on the Queen Victoria cruise this year with friends and we have decided not to go to the rock but instead find a boat trip along the fjord so that we can look up.

I have contacted a Norwegian travel / cruise / shipping company who advertise a sightseeing trip but it leaves at 09:00 returning at 14:30. I'm told (unconfirmed) that our ship docks at 09:30 leaving at 17:00!!!!

Does anyone have any information of a boat trip along the fjord that will fit into the docking window (09:30 to 17:00?)?

Thanks

Tony

1642124625_pulpitrock_2.jpg.6d975d50bc0bbf5cf2ef2a97764dafee.jpg

We are considering buying tickets for the Flam Railway in advance; you have to book a minimum of 10 tickets (I think they are 400 Krona each).

Does anyone want to buy a ticket with us in advance; there are four in our group so we need six more people?

Tony

I went to Pulpit Rock on 27th July 12, so just a year ago. When you get to the start its a 2 hour walk on rough ground / rocks. The trail is easy to find and will probably be packed with people which can slow you down especially on the sections where it is narrow and you have to climb up or down (not difficult climbing just up / down a staircase of rocks). The walk is worth it though, the view from the rock is amazing. When we arrived at the rock last year there was a lot of mist and visibility was not great, but we waited and over an hour or so the mist clear - Wow. I even crawled to the edge and looked down - gulp - 604m to the water. There are no safety rails, ropes or signs. People are all very well behaved, it feels very safe. You don't have to get close to the edge and in fact you can climb up higher and get a great photo looking down (see photo attached) on the rock with the fjord in the background.

I am on the Queen Victoria cruise this year with friends and we have decided not to go to the rock but instead find a boat trip along the fjord so that we can look up.

I have contacted a Norwegian travel / cruise / shipping company who advertise a sightseeing trip but it leaves at 09:00 returning at 14:30. I'm told (unconfirmed) that our ship docks at 09:30 leaving at 17:00!!!!

Does anyone have any information of a boat trip along the fjord that will fit into the docking window (09:30 to 17:00?)?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

Yes, it is disappointing that there probablly won't be time to climb the rock. That fantastic view is the main attraction.

Cunard told me to plan on 9:30am-4:00pm in Stavanger. That could mean a 5pm sailing, as I saw on a travel agent site. Cunard has certainly not been forthcoming with arrival and departure times.

In Stavanger, we booked directly with Rodne (www.rodne.no). The website lists the trip as a 3-hour boat cruise of the Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock. Our tour departs at 10am. The cost is NOK 420 (320 if you're 55 or over).

In Flam, we initially planned to take the rail/bicycle trip. After doing some research, we decided on the Stalheim & World Heritage Cruise (see www.visitflam.com). It combines a cruise of the Aurlandsfjord and Naeroyfjord with a bus trip through the Naeroyvalley to Stalheim. The website lists the duration as approximately 4.5 hours. However, the arrival time of our 11:30am tour is listed as 15:30. The cost is NOK 520. Cunard told me to plan on 9:00am-5:00pm in Flam.

I just finished booking these tours this week. I can understand wanting to stay with the cruise line tours. If the ship is missed, it's not easy to get to and from these ports by public transportation. Hope this information is helpful. Thanks for the photo!

Jim

We are considering buying tickets for the Flam Railway in advance; you have to book a minimum of 10 tickets (I think they are 400 Krona each).

Does anyone want to buy a ticket with us in advance; there are four in our group so we need six more people?

Tony

Hello Tony,

My husband and I plan to take the Flam Railway. We are seniors and might be eligible for senior discount. We shall fly out in two days. Please suggest how we could meet and pay you if we have the sufficient no. For advance booking.

Jollymilo.

Archived