Two excursions in Bonaire?

souperjen24

Hey everyone. I chose the cruise we are going on next September specifically because it has Bonaire as a port of call. I've heard great things about the island from a friend of mine who goes there at least once a year to dive. My partner and I have rented a house twice in Roatan (which we discovered from a cruise stop), and I was trying to convince her we should also rent one on Bonaire... but we never heard of the island until recently and have never been there before. So a cruise stop is an excellent way for us to get to see the island and decide if we'd like to go back for a longer amount of time.

Anyway, that back story is to explain why I'd like to do 2 excursions... Snorkeling is a must on Bonaire for me. I haven't yet chosen a tour guide, but I'm thinking either Renee or Windwood, and I expect to do a 3 or 4 hour tour in the morning. Ideally, we'd go back to the ship to get some food, and then head back out to explore the island. We are only in port from 8am-5pm.

I'm not sure how long it takes to get off the ship the morning of our arrival, but let's say we aren't off until 9am... if we did a 4 hour tour, then wouldn't put us back to the ship until 1 or 1:30 (depending on driving distances, I have no idea how long things actually take. Just trying not to underestimate). If we can be back on the island around 2 or 2:30 after lunch on the ship, is that enough time to do some exploring? And if so, how do you recommend that we explore? Is there a private operator that could show us around? I looked into the Twizzy cars, but that tour is 4-5 hours long, so wouldn't work.

Another option would be buying lunch on the island and skipping the trek back to the ship.

We'd all prefer to be back to the ship around 4pm, to give us plenty of time before the ship is supposed to leave.

Thanks for any insight, advice, or experience you have with this!