Dining Question

So I'll begin by apologizing for creating another thread on this subject....but I need some clarification.

This is my first cruise (well 2nd, if you count the 3 day cruise I did 20 years ago)...and it's a lot of information with regards to tips, tricks and advise that people have to offer. All good stuff though.

My question is around dinner.

My understanding of dinner is there are 3 options...

1- Choose a set time for the entire week- you eat with the same people every night, have the same set time same wait staff as well.

2- My Time- You eat when you want to but make a reservation.

3- Just show up- Similar to showing up a restaurant without a reservation there will likely be a wait.

My question is around My Time dining. I would prefer to go that route. When I called RCC they advised me that reservations can be made once I get on board- that there is a My Time dining area where they can help with all your dining reservations. I just like the idea of that better so I'm not tied to a set date and time every night.

I'm going with other family that are also doing My Time- my brother that is going called today to advise that there are limited My Time reservations left and that I need to book them before we go on teh criuse. huh? I thought we could make them once we got on the boat? Does it make sense that many My Time times are already booked? Do I run the risk of being stuck with bad dinner times if I wait to book until I get on the boat?

Bonus question- for the experienced cruiser, what's the average (I know, impossible question) amount you spend on all beverages on a cruise. I'm just curious. I'm 41- not going to go all out every night but probably will for 1 or 2 and trying to determine if a drink package is a good idea.

As always...thanks for the feedback!!!

I am booking for a early December cruise on Liberty of the Seas, and it has been a very long time since I cruised. I was also wondering how the My Time Dining works. Do you call and make reservations? Do you show up? How long do you usually have to wait? Thanks!

Your selection 2 and 3 are the same option: you either have set times or you have my time (unless new dynamic dining has been installed). They have only so many spots for MTD. You also have to pre-pay gratuities with this option.

In terms of actual reservations, they only do so many online. However more spots for certain times are available onboard.

I am booking for a early December cruise on Liberty of the Seas, and it has been a very long time since I cruised. I was also wondering how the My Time Dining works. Do you call and make reservations? Do you show up? How long do you usually have to wait? Thanks!

You can call. You can have a standing reservation. You can visit the podium during set hours. You can reserve online. If you just show up without a reservation there may be a wait.

You can call. You can have a standing reservation. You can visit the podium during set hours. You can reserve online. If you just show up without a reservation there may be a wait.

If I wait until the day of to book dinner reservations every night is it unrealistic of me to think I can get a decent time? What do you do?

To the OP, what ship are you sailing? The dining answers will depend on the ship.

For the drink package, if you are only going to have a few drinks a night then it is probably not worth it to buy a package. I get the ultimate package and drink a lot of specialty coffees and water in addition to alcohol. For me it is worth it to know it is paid for before the cruise.

To the OP, what ship are you sailing? The dining answers will depend on the ship.

For the drink package, if you are only going to have a few drinks a night then it is probably not worth it to buy a package. I get the ultimate package and drink a lot of specialty coffees and water in addition to alcohol. For me it is worth it to know it is paid for before the cruise.

We are on Allure the week of Dec 7th....

My Time Dining means just that....dine when you want to...you don't NEED reservations! You can show up and you'll be seated at the next avail. table. If you have a LARGE party, it's best to make reservations....larger parties are hard to seat! If you have 2-4 people...no problem.

I was on the Allure and we made MTD dinner reservations on the website before the cruise. We had the same dining team and never had a wait. I talked to others who walked in without reservations and some said they had a 10 minute wait or so for a table. I did not notice long lines for dinner, but I did not stand around and watch, I just noticed when we were coming and going. There were two separate lines for those with reservations and those without.

You can make reservations on your TV each day or just walk up. There are screens by the dining room that show the occupancy of the various dining venues so you have an idea of how crowded they are.

I never had a problem making dining reservations in specialty restaurants either. One night in Chops I took a reservation for the same night that was 1/2 hour later that what I requested. The ship never felt crowded and I did not have any problem with dining. Have a great cruise.

I was on the Allure and we made MTD dinner reservations on the website before the cruise. We had the same dining team and never had a wait. I talked to others who walked in without reservations and some said they had a 10 minute wait or so for a table. I did not notice long lines for dinner, but I did not stand around and watch, I just noticed when we were coming and going. There were two separate lines for those with reservations and those without.

You can make reservations on your TV each day or just walk up. There are screens by the dining room that show the occupancy of the various dining venues so you have an idea of how crowded they are.

I never had a problem making dining reservations in specialty restaurants either. One night in Chops I took a reservation for the same night that was 1/2 hour later that what I requested. The ship never felt crowded and I did not have any problem with dining. Have a great cruise.

Thanks for taking the time to respond- great feedback!

Bonus question- for the experienced cruiser, what's the average (I know, impossible question) amount you spend on all beverages on a cruise. I'm just curious. I'm 41- not going to go all out every night but probably will for 1 or 2 and trying to determine if a drink package is a good idea.

As always...thanks for the feedback!!!

Do one of the packages. Prior to our last cruise, I pulled out the folios from our last two cruises. We averaged about $100 per day having mostly well drinks. So, on our last cruise, my wife and I went with the premium package and had top shelf everything for about what we were spending on well booze. Doing some spit ball tracking, I came out ahead, my wife did not, so this December we are going to go with me on the Premium package and her not. I was typically 60 to her 40 on the 100 per/day on the folios.

When you make the initial cruise reservation, you pick fixed time dining, or my time dining - and yes, your brother is right, you must do it asap or you will be assigned a category that you may not like.

You don't have to pick the time of MTD right away - you can do it on the ship, or just show up.

I have done MTD for 4 cruises now and I have never booked a time for dinner, instead just showing up when I feel like it. The longest I ever had to wait was 5 minutes. If you are a couple and want a table to yourself then you may have a slightly longer wait when you just turn up but there is nothing wrong with just turning up without reserving first.