Royal gave my refund to my sister????

:mad:

I was booked to cruise with my 2 sisters on Vision Sept 11-15. I booked the cruise, I used a future cruise booking and paid the remainder of the deposit...total $300 ...$100 future credit and $200 on my Visa bank card.

My sister made final payment on her credit card.

I was unable to go on the cruise. No insurance, that is not my complaint. I had prepaid gratuities, so I am entitled to receive the pre-paid gratuities and taxes/fees back. I never heard anything from RCCL and figured it might just take time. Well I finally decided to call the big box store travel department to inquire, and it turns out my $150 refund was put back on my sister's credit card. I asked why??? When I was the lead name on the booking and my card should be on record as one used? OR at least contact ME to ask since the card it was placed back on was not the in the name of the person who cancelled? Yes, she is my sister but that credit when back on her credit card, where it would be cash back in my bank account, who's to say she has cash on hand to give me? What if two passengers aren't sisters? What if the reason didn't go was because we had a huge fight? (not the case, I actually missed to fly to LA and be taped for a TV show) Why is RCCL putting the responsibility of getting refund on the passengers?

Just got off phone and the big box TA was told by RCCL that they just automatically refund the card that had the higher amount paid. Really??? My $200 was more than the refunded $150. They can't reverse the credit to her and issue it to me because they'd need her permission to charge her credit card...lol...really but you didn't get my permission to give her my $?

In my opinion when RCCL sees there are 2 credit cards on the account and my name wasn't on one and not the other, and I am the cancelled passenger it should refund to my card. Ok so maybe they don't see the names on cards...they still see there are TWO cards on file so take a moment to ask which one should be credited.

:mad:

I was booked to cruise with my 2 sisters on Vision Sept 11-15. I booked the cruise, I used a future cruise booking and paid the remainder of the deposit...total $300 ...$100 future credit and $200 on my Visa bank card.

My sister made final payment on her credit card.

I was unable to go on the cruise. No insurance, that is not my complaint. I had prepaid gratuities, so I am entitled to receive the pre-paid gratuities and taxes/fees back. I never heard anything from RCCL and figured it might just take time. Well I finally decided to call the big box store travel department to inquire, and it turns out my $150 refund was put back on my sister's credit card. I asked why??? When I was the lead name on the booking and my card should be on record as one used? OR at least contact ME to ask since the card it was placed back on was not the in the name of the person who cancelled? Yes, she is my sister but that credit when back on her credit card, where it would be cash back in my bank account, who's to say she has cash on hand to give me? What if two passengers aren't sisters? What if the reason didn't go was because we had a huge fight? (not the case, I actually missed to fly to LA and be taped for a TV show) Why is RCCL putting the responsibility of getting refund on the passengers?

Just got off phone and the big box TA was told by RCCL that they just automatically refund the card that had the higher amount paid. Really??? My $200 was more than the refunded $150. They can't reverse the credit to her and issue it to me because they'd need her permission to charge her credit card...lol...really but you didn't get my permission to give her my $?

In my opinion when RCCL sees there are 2 credit cards on the account and my name wasn't on one and not the other, and I am the cancelled passenger it should refund to my card. Ok so maybe they don't see the names on cards...they still see there are TWO cards on file so take a moment to ask which one should be credited.

Sounds like a great case for Judge Judy!

Yet another example (that I wouldn't have thought of) why we book direct with RCCL and don't get a third party TA involved. When we cancelled a cruise recently I called RCCL direct and the first question I asked was which credit card # they would be crediting. We had a refund on the correct VISA in a few days.:)

Ok!

Is your sis happy with her early Christmas presant

She had not even realized it was credited back as it hasn't been a full month so she hasn't checked her statement. I told her we can just use it towards the deposit for another cruise, but sorry it won't be RCCL...she was not pleased with having to stand and wait at the bar to get her drinks on the pool deck, I questioned about staff going around taking orders she said there were none. I was not impressed with my RCCL cruise last year on Freedom with my mom, but I thought I'd give RCCL another chance...well they've pissed me off and I wasn't even on the cruise.

Yet another example (that I wouldn't have thought of) why we book direct with RCCL and don't get a third party TA involved. When we cancelled a cruise recently I called RCCL direct and the first question I asked was which credit card # they would be crediting. We had a refund on the correct VISA in a few days.:)

I don't see why TA vs direct should matter, if it did then why not toss it back to the TA to make the refund?

But I agree I won't use a TA again, the OBC was not worth the 25 min I spent on hold. I had booked a Carnival cruise directly to make up for missing my b-day cruise, and I got sick and cancelled it on Saturday, refund of taxes/fees in my bank account by Tuesday. I had Carnival insurance, and have to file with their carrier for the fare refund.

That's what I was thinking as well. They just credit back the card that was charged for taxes and fees.

Not buying that rationale, not an acceptable customer service policy. Once there was two cards possible they should have contacted me as the 1. Lead passenger 2. the cancelled passenger 3. evidence I paid $200 4. C&A member to ask where the refund should be sent.

Have your sister buy you a Visa gift card for the amount she owes you and use her card that was credited to pay for it. Then you have your money back and no cash money taken from your sister. You can use the gift card for gas, groceries or anything else you might pay for on a daily basis. Just a thought.

Gwen :)

Edited by cruzinlady1947

Not buying that rationale, not an acceptable customer service policy. Once there was two cards possible they should have contacted me as the 1. Lead passenger 2. the cancelled passenger 3. evidence I paid $200 4. C&A member to ask where the refund should be sent.

When you called to cancel, what card did you ask for them to credit? We cancelled a cruise with RCL earlier in the year and when we cancelled, they told us what card would be credited.

To me it´s Logical to refund to the Card final payment was made through. If they had contacted someone I think they likely should have contacted the TA and have them sort it. However I disagree about they Need to contact the lead passenger on the booking or the cancelled passenger. As in your case the lead passenger and/or cancelled passenger very well might have not paid a penny on the cruise, so I think the Money always Needs to go back to who paid. Yes I know you made a minor payment, but it´s not RCI´s Job to sort this out. Not sure what C&A Membership has to do with it at all.

Anyway I understand you are not happy and came to the conclusion you will be much happier on other lines, so I wish you all the best with whatever line you Chose for the future.

When you used a TA, you gave up ownership to that booking and became the middleman and therefore RCI will not discuss anything in regards to your booking that pertains to $$$. It was the responsibility of the TA to get the money refunded back to the correct person.

Along the same line:

I booked dynamic dining reservations last May for our upcoming maiden voyage on quantum. I recently checked on the bookings as advised by my CC friends and sure enough, several times had been changed by RCI causing some clashes. I called RCI and had to cancel one reservation. I advised the rep that the original credit card that these were booked on no longer exists as the number had recently changed due to expiration of the orginal card and new number being issued. She took the new number and "would put in the request to do this." I took this as it was going to be done. Well, two days later we were studying the reservations further and another restaurant booking was too close to an evening event and we thought it best to cancel another reservation. I called again and was told that it was absolutely impossible to apply a refund to anything but the original credit card. I explained to a supervisor by this point that the card number didn't exist. The supervisor, Daniel, told me that I "merely" had to go into the issuing bank of the credit card and request the monies that were refunded!?? Really?? All I was asking was to apply a refund to a different card number, in the same name as the original credit card. I also told him that I had called just two days prior and the agent was able to do this. He advised me that no, she couldn't do that and in fact she had ONLY REQUESTED from the finance department to do this and these requests are always denied. I explained that this process is ridiculous as many people have credit cards that change numbers due to loss, theft or expiry. Daniel stated he has to deal with several calls a day with this same issue. WHAT A WASTE OF A SUPERVISOR'S TIME. Angry does not begin to describe my thoughts and feelings.

I decided that I am going to cancel the reservations on board where upon, according to RCI'S reliable website, that we will get an onboard credit for the value of the cancellations. I was hoping to cancel these bookings beforehand in order that the times become open for someone else to find useful. Furthermore, I am now going to have to stand in line on board wasting valuable holiday time in order to cancel them.

I really was trying to buy into dynamic dining and begrudgingly arranging my happy go lucky holiday into an adult day care with times set for everything. I have been loyal to RCI for a very long time...next cruise #68, mostly with them...and I really do like RCI and they must be commended for trying to innovate, but asking people to schedule their whole Quantum experience is not what not what I really want from a holiday. But I will try as you never know.

HOWEVER, the process MUST be dynamic for both Royal Caribbean the company, AND the passenger.

Respectfully submitted.

Along the same line:

I booked dynamic dining reservations last May for our upcoming maiden voyage on quantum. I recently checked on the bookings as advised by my CC friends and sure enough, several times had been changed by RCI causing some clashes. I called RCI and had to cancel one reservation. I advised the rep that the original credit card that these were booked on no longer exists as the number had recently changed due to expiration of the orginal card and new number being issued. She took the new number and "would put in the request to do this." I took this as it was going to be done. Well, two days later we were studying the reservations further and another restaurant booking was too close to an evening event and we thought it best to cancel another reservation. I called again and was told that it was absolutely impossible to apply a refund to anything but the original credit card. I explained to a supervisor by this point that the card number didn't exist. The supervisor, Daniel, told me that I "merely" had to go into the issuing bank of the credit card and request the monies that were refunded!?? Really?? All I was asking was to apply a refund to a different card number, in the same name as the original credit card. I also told him that I had called just two days prior and the agent was able to do this. He advised me that no, she couldn't do that and in fact she had ONLY REQUESTED from the finance department to do this and these requests are always denied. I explained that this process is ridiculous as many people have credit cards that change numbers due to loss, theft or expiry. Daniel stated he has to deal with several calls a day with this same issue. WHAT A WASTE OF A SUPERVISOR'S TIME. Angry does not begin to describe my thoughts and feelings.

I decided that I am going to cancel the reservations on board where upon, according to RCI'S reliable website, that we will get an onboard credit for the value of the cancellations. I was hoping to cancel these bookings beforehand in order that the times become open for someone else to find useful. Furthermore, I am now going to have to stand in line on board wasting valuable holiday time in order to cancel them.

I really was trying to buy into dynamic dining and begrudgingly arranging my happy go lucky holiday into an adult day care with times set for everything. I have been loyal to RCI for a very long time...next cruise #68, mostly with them...and I really do like RCI and they must be commended for trying to innovate, but asking people to schedule their whole Quantum experience is not what not what I really want from a holiday. But I will try as you never know.

HOWEVER, the process MUST be dynamic for both Royal Caribbean the company, AND the passenger.

Respectfully submitted.

Now that is ridiculous. In this day and age where cards are compromised weekly, they have to be able to accommodate different card numbers. Especially when some cruises are booked years in advance.

As for the OP, the TA should have told them what card to credit. They have to be proactive when there are multiple cards on the account.

When you called to cancel, what card did you ask for them to credit? We cancelled a cruise with RCL earlier in the year and when we cancelled, they told us what card would be credited.

When I called the TA to cancel and they called RCCL while I was on the phone to relay the information...I wasn't asked nor did I think to ask since I was cancelling and my card was part of the purchase, and I am the big box member, etc etc etc.

Now that is ridiculous. In this day and age where cards are compromised weekly, they have to be able to accommodate different card numbers. Especially when some cruises are booked years in advance.

As for the OP, the TA should have told them what card to credit. They have to be proactive when there are multiple cards on the account.

TA got an ear full, and supervisor called back to RCCL to ask again...it's was just "too late" to reverse...again though not a month out and they did not email me or my sister of the transaction???

Good point! While the bank card I used has not changed, as we made the reservation within a few months, I believe June for September...with all the breaches in the past year...Target, Chase, Home Depot I have received new cards...actually have new one waiting to be activated but I saved the change until I was done with recent travel as I didn't want any reservations to be messed up.

To me it´s Logical to refund to the Card final payment was made through. If they had contacted someone I think they likely should have contacted the TA and have them sort it. However I disagree about they Need to contact the lead passenger on the booking or the cancelled passenger. As in your case the lead passenger and/or cancelled passenger very well might have not paid a penny on the cruise, so I think the Money always Needs to go back to who paid. Yes I know you made a minor payment, but it´s not RCI´s Job to sort this out. Not sure what C&A Membership has to do with it at all.

Anyway I understand you are not happy and came to the conclusion you will be much happier on other lines, so I wish you all the best with whatever line you Chose for the future.

My payment wasn't minor my payment covered my portion including tips but for $25 with the $100 future cruise...it was a very good rate. And really since when does the passenger who is lead and made the arrangements with their big box membership not pay anything??? They might or might not have...if RCCL doesn't know then ASK.

Along the same line:

Respectfully submitted.

Glad I'm not the only one who's dealt with their messed up credit card refunds. At least your complaint will have a bit more weight given you have a current booking with them. I really enjoyed my first 2 cruises with RCCL, got me hooked on cruising, but the Freedom experience where getting an extra pillow or extra bath towel seemed like a major request...ones that were never met, well for me it seems like they have $ for flowriders and not extra linens?

When I called the TA to cancel and they called RCCL while I was on the phone to relay the information...I wasn't asked nor did I think to ask since I was cancelling and my card was part of the purchase, and I am the big box member, etc etc etc.

Your card was used for the deposits, not final payment. The refunds for the refundable portions of your cruise were refunded to the card that they were originally charged to at final payment. The TA should have made sure you knew where the refund was going and you should have specified where you wanted the refund to go.

Your C&A status and your big box member status have nothing to do with this refund.

I had the same problem with a hotel in Las Vegas. I made a reservation with my joint credit card and shortly after my husband passed away the card was closed and a new one was issued in my name. It was the same bank etc. but just a new card.

I called to cancel the reservation and they said they couldn't refund to the new card. They even suggested I go to the bank and have them open the original card again. I told them they were crazy. It took me almost a year and copies of the death certificate to get my refund.

I know Royal can screw up because I've been there but the OP really has no beef with them. As others have said, her sister paid the taxes, fees, and gratuities. The OP only paid the deposit and the cruise wasn't cancelled.

Edited by Big_G

I know Royal can screw up because I've been there but the OP really has no beef with them. As others have said, her sister paid the taxes, fees, and gratuities. The OP only paid the deposit and the cruise wasn't cancelled.

Yep. She needs to have this discussion with her sister. She's the one that owes her the money.

Along the same line:

Respectfully submitted.

I was always under the impression that they can do a refund to the old card number and your credit card company will realize that the number changed. Try calling back and canceling without mentioning that you have a new card and see if the cc company applies it correctly.