smoking policy

dalliowner

Have just heared from Seabourn that as from June 7 2008 smoking will be banned in the foyer of the restaurant and in the lobby on deck 5.As non smokers this will not affect us.:)

Wish they would ban smoking at the Sky Bar as well. Only at the actual Bar. Smokers could still sit at the tables, but at the bar itself it is very bad and the only way to avoid this is to leave the bar. If they smoke at the table near you ,at least you can move to another table.

I think most cruise lines are limiting smoking in an ever tightening way and are sensitive to both sides of the issue. While a non-smoking ship would be ideal for non-smokers, the problem is that smokers are permitted and with less and less areas where it is permitted, the outside bar is one of the last refuges.

I guess putting it another way, all things considered concerning the limitations of where one can smoke, if a non-smoker is bothered at the Sky Bar he/she now has some very nice tables near the bar where the smoke won't bother them...especially if the smoker is slipping out of the dining room to a quick one between courses since the hallway is now off limits.

If they can't limit smoking altogether at the Sky Bar they should at least prohibit cigar smoking. That is terribly offensive even outdoors.

Certainly during meal times. I think the problem is that it's tough to enforce. Who will do it? I asked one gentleman to refrain from cigar smoking during lunch (I was at the next table) and he basically told me to ------ off. Same for a man who smoked in the forward lounge all morning.

Come on everyone. Let's see if we can play nicely. Smoking threads turn nasty pretty quickly and tend to get pulled.

I'm part of a smoking/non smoking couple. (I'm the non smoking one, having given up just over a year ago).

Seabourn has one of the least restrictive smoking policies of any line. I'm sure this will change over time, probably sooner rather than later. I think smokers realise there will be less and less places to smoke over time. Chris only smokes outside at home.

From my understanding the Sky Bar is open air. Perhaps a small group of tables on one side could be reserved for smokers? I think smoking at the bar, any bar, should not be allowed because of the adverse effect the smoke has on the serving staff. (after all, they can't move somewhere else).

There will also be no smell of smoke in or around our cabin, as no smoking wil be taking place there, or any other place inside, for that matter.:)

Steve (and Chris)

I was on the Santiago-Rio trip in January (great great experience) . We had a few days, especially the second half, where the only place you weren't rocking and rolling was upstairs at the sky bar to get some fresh air. The little problem was two pipe smokers, three cigar smokers, and a partriage in a pear tree few cigarette passengers had the need to do their thing as well. I asked Nelson why they simply couldn't designate some tables on one side for smokers,(down wind) and he just made me another drink with a smile. I guess smokers need to do their thing, and Seabourn doesn't want to lose its smoking clients to the competition (trade them to Siverseas, we'll take the non smokers) but to anyone upstairs at Seabourn, ban smoking on the Oddesey from the get go, take a chance!

I am surprised no one mentioned the club. It's inside and full of smoke. It's often the only place to go in the evening and even though they designate half the room for smokers the smoke moves!

It has been mentioned in othersmoking threads, however. I don't even bother going there unless it's Liars Club.

Susan, when is your next cruise? I saw you and Jerry dancing the samba on deck with the dancers in Rio! Quite a fun time for eveyone! Hope all is well with you!

Eventually, and that sometimes can be a long time, things change. The airlines did it and the planes are packed. If our ten month passenger loves the Pride so much, maybe.........nah, smokers need their smokes. How about banning smoking on certain voyages and advertise it that way. See what happens. They could always ban smoking on one of the four ships and go after a different crowd, itinerary, and atmosphere. Hell, Rome to Istanbul Seabourn no smoking, hiking, beach, biking, great food and friends, I'm ready to sign up now, and probably 10000 others.

I was a stewardess on a large airline in the mid to 50's to 60...we had smoking through out the cabins. It was hideous. I smoked at the time and hated it. We also put small cigarette pkgs. on each food tray. We have come to a time in our lives when we know that not only the smoke that we do..but..passive smoke is lethal. It has to come to a point where there should be NO smoking where others have to breathe. It is terrible to break the habit...but doable. Once you have left it behind you...it is impossible to believe that anyone can't GET it.

This post was not to raise the pro/anti smoking lobby but to advise people about Seabourns new policy as from June 7. I would hope that all smokers were considerate of non smokers as I am sure the majority are.:)

I am a non-smoker and would prefer non-smoking ships, if I had to choose. However, those from the US are generally far more intolerant of smoking then many from European and South American countries. Seabourn is a worldwide company and needs to appeal to a broad specturm...while doing whatever it can to assure the non-smokers aren't overwhelmed by the smokers and the smokers (many of whom are loyal guests) are respected.

The problem, from experience, is not necessarily that there are smokers, but that there are discourtesies either by smokers or non-smokers. There is no excuse for leaving a suite door open to air out a smoker's suite, but there is no excuse for demanding a smoker move from a designated smoking area (even if you do not agree with it being so designated).

Imagine how much more pleasant the cruise would be if the passengers - not the cruise line - respected the others. (We can talk religion, politics, or whatever...but all considered the health/freedom to choose issue(s) are the trump cards here as we all have a choice as to whether to board the ship knowing the rules and limitations.)

BTW, the solution of non-smoking ships has been tried and pretty much fail miserably each time it is tried. And it doesn't matter if it is a mass market or luxury ship. The concept may be great, but in reality it doesn't work...at least not yet.

I have no solution to offer, but rather, hopefully, a perspective that each side can understand...and respect.

Hi Eric, As usual you have said it very well - it is all about respecting each other and surely Seabourn nor any cruise line should have to act as police on this issue. Everyone should just act in a courteous manner. And that goes for all issues where we are living as a group, be it the smoking issue, or as someone else said, intolerable behaviour from someone drinking way too much. Rene' (p.s. hope all is well)

Eric,

You are right. It is the pax. On our last crossing, one pax smoked in the club, tea, etc and made sure to be as close to non smoking area as possible. This was usually at the front where the sections are the closest.:eek:

LB

I'm the most open minded person when it comes to good ideas. Seabourn has small ships, smoking is bad for those who smoke, and worse for those who don't and have to share in the experience. For the three little ships, inside the ship should be off limits, and if someone wants to light up on the cruise,go outside, port side, upper deck, sky bar, but leave the rest of the ship clean for others. It's logical, practical, and going to be the rule by the time I get my free week at sea

Westmount

An article was just published in an Aussie paper discussing smoking and it noted that Regent admitted it had $3,000,000 in canceled bookings because it announced its ban on smoking in its cabins. I am sure that figure is only what it would admit to based upon explicit comments as to the reason. I am sure there were many other "silent" cancellations and many millions of dollars more in non-bookings.

Cruising is an industry and the transition to non-smoking is happening, but it has to be done in a way that doesn't sink the proverbial ship.

Is that the net effect of cancellations at 5000.00 per person that's 600 people not so much in the sceem of things.over 4 ships that's nothing. The advertising has to be made to the non smokers that they made this bold step. here ad agency she really jump on this.

As I said, I think admitting 600+ cancellations is one thing (like running one ship empty for an entire cruise, but I would suspect that it is multiples of that number in cancellations...and then quite a few hundred (or thousand) that never booked that would have otherwise.

When you are not working on margins of 25%, those can be some pretty significant numbers...especially when onboard revenue (tours, spa, hotels, transfers, etc.) are added in.

I was under the impression that basically the whole industry was run by RCCL and Carnival. I'm sure that under some World Health Organisation decree they could jointly announce a fazed in non smoking policy for both lines, similar to what the airlines did many years ago. I'm sure when Regent figured out the cost of cleaning the smoking rooms, fixing the burned carpets, blankets, and furniture, the real cost was not so bad. As I said before, let the Odessey be smoke free, I'm sure the first year they'll be sold out anyway, and maybe, it will develope its own niche as a non smoking ( even if only indoors everywhere) ship and we don't have to keep moving away from tables in the lounge. I'm not a smoking vigilante, but nonsmokers have science on their side, and should not have live the experience, especially on the tiny Seabourn vessels.

An article was just published in an Aussie paper discussing smoking and it noted that Regent admitted it had $3,000,000 in canceled bookings because it announced its ban on smoking in its cabins. I am sure that figure is only what it would admit to based upon explicit comments as to the reason. I am sure there were many other "silent" cancellations and many millions of dollars more in non-bookings.

Cruising is an industry and the transition to non-smoking is happening, but it has to be done in a way that doesn't sink the proverbial ship.

Eric, you do get around:) .

I read the article in "The Age" yesterday morning with breakfast. It was in the "Traveller" liftout.

The article was called "The eternal flame" and was discussing the rise of smoking tourism.

I wonder if the ban on Regent will result in more smokers sailing on Seabourn, at least until the inevitable tightening of restrictions happen.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but is seems Carnival Corp. is lagging behind the other cruise companies in further restricting smoking.

Steve.

I don't know about all of the Carnival brands, but I know Seabourn is far more concerned about the smoking issue than some here may think. There is such a fine line between doing what is perceived as right and honoring people's rights.

BTW, in the early 80's I walked onto an Australian Airlines plane and it was clean, bright, smelled great (yes, its true!) and it was non-smoking. Then I went back onto the US carrier for the flight home and the yellow stained walls, the smell and general dirty feel couldn't be escaped. It sold me then...but there is a difference between an enclosed cabin for a few hours and an open ship for days or weeks.

I try to be realistic...a non-smoker, but realistic.

Archived