Where does Azamara dock in Ha Long Bay?

vino123

Hi

I am in the process of researching one day cruise while we are docked in Ha Long bay. The Azamara website says its a tender port. Can any recent cruisers tell me where the tender drops off as I need this info so the tour operator knows where to pick us up.

Thank you

Hi

I am in the process of researching one day cruise while we are docked in Ha Long bay. The Azamara website says its a tender port. Can any recent cruisers tell me where the tender drops off as I need this info so the tour operator knows where to pick us up.

Thank you

When we did it in 2013, the Journey was supposed to tender. But when we arrived that changed to docking at the commercial port at Cai Lan. From other SE Asia roll calls, this is not unusual. There is a tender dock close to the center of town, but I can't tell you for sure if they tender there or to Cai Lan. The tour and junk operators know that things change and they seem to be able to adapt. There will be shuttles from Cai Lan port to the center of Ha Long town, and tour operators can pick you up at the port.

Ask for the latest when you board or as you get closer to Ha Long. Warn your tour operator that debark location may change. Enjoy, the bay is magnificent!

Sorry to interrupt your thread vino123 but which operator are you using for the Halong Bay cruise, I am trying to find one that does a six hour one which goes slightly off the beaten track! We are on the December 2016 cruise. I shall probably wait until the roll call is more active to see if there are any others interest in such a tour.

I keep researching but there looks to be a lot of difference in quality and many do not operate such a tour.

Hi Santrah

I am looking at Paradise cruises. This for December 2015.

They get excellent reviews and have been very quick to answer my queries. They only offer one option for a day cruise as they are mostly overnight ones, but they look more luxurious than some of the larger operators.

Heres the link to the one I am considering:

https://www.paradisecruises.vn/en/itineraries/halong-bay-day-cruises-paradise-sunrise-9.html

This the the quote I received from them:

Day Cruise on Paradise Luxury

Rate: US$ 129 per person basing on group 02 persons

Inclusion:

½ Day cruise on Paradise Luxury (sightseeing ticket and lunch included)

Round trip transfer by private car

Insurance, Taxes and Service Charges

Time

Itinerary

Pick up at harbor of cruise ship Azamara Quest cruise ship

Arrive at Paradise Cafe - welcome lounge of Paradise Cruises, relax and have wifi access to Internet before boarding time

Transfer to cruise ship – Paradise Luxury

Welcome briefing

Depart to Halong bay; cruise and program commence

Lunch is served onboard

Exploring Surprising cave, one of the largest and most beautiful grottoes in the entire Halong bay*

Back onboard Paradise Explorer, continue cruising through beautiful karsts

Cruising back to Tuan Chau as the sun goes down passing floating village, mythical rock information

Disembark at Tuan Chau Marina

Transfer back to harbor of cruise ship Azamara Quest cruise ship

* Itinerary is subject to change without prior notice

My only concern is that it goes out on one boat and we return on another, probable because its part of an overnight itinerary.

I also contacted Bhaya Legend cruises but they seem to want to steer me down a private charter route which sounds great but I don't want the worry of folks not turning up and it costing more! This would be a great option for you though if you could get folks to share as you can probably tailor make your own itinerary.

http://www.legendhalong.com/program/halong-luxury-junk-1-day-cruises.html

Hope this helps!

We were on Azamara Quest Xmas 14/New Year 15 B2B Asian cruise. We had 2 nights in Ha Long Bay and Quest tendered in the harbour. I noted from my Cruise Critic research that some times the Azamara ships dock at the commercial port, other times they tender. And it can change from the quoted itinerary. I assume this is due to the local Port Authority having the final say where cruise ships dock or tender.

As to day cruises in Ha Long Bay, on the back of great cruise critic and other website research, we (a party of four) decided to wing it and arrange our own private boat charter on arrival. When the tender boat brought us ashore, there were many touts selling boat tours at the tender dock. We easily negotiated a large boat (would have catered for 20+ pax) for US$40 a head. Just US$160 for the whole boat to ourselves. Fantastic. Price included a mini van transfer from tender port to cruise port (aprox 10 mins) and return to tender port post cruise. It was a half day tour and took in all the great places in the Bay including the caves (entrance ticket price included), the floating fishing village and the many beautiful rocky Karsts in the Bay. Crew were very helpful and attentive to our needs. Green tea and snacks provided.

Sometimes it works to "go with a local", but you do need to be careful in your negotiations and ensure you know in advance exactly what you are getting for your money.

We had a great day - a highlight of our 29 day Azamara Cruise.

Wripro. We paid in USD. We always carry USD with us wherever we travel as it is readily accepted in most countries. In Vietnam, the local tours were all quoting USD for their prices.

AUD is not readily accepted in many countries.

In Ho Chi Minh City (the last Vietnamese port for the cruise), we had a fair amount of local currency (Dong) left, and it was interesting to see the street vendors preferring USD rather than Dong. We had to tell them we had no USD before they would accept Dong. And the rounding up of the conversion from USD price to Dong was always in their favour. No big deal as we needed to spend the Dong, prices are low, and happy to help these friendly people in this small way.

It's a wonderful country to visit and the locals are very friendly and welcoming.

Hi Everyone,

This forum is for general Azamara discussion. If you wish to discuss excursions and such, please continue the conversation on your Roll Call.

This thread is now closed. Thanks for your understanding and participation.