Bonnie - Why such a huge cancellation fee in UK?

Glenndale

Hi Bonnie,

In another thread a North American guest commented on Azamara's $25 cancellation fee, whilst a UK guest would have to pay £250. (approx $390)

Why is there such a huge discrepancy especially when Oceania allow UK guests to cancel without penalty 121 days out?

I made the $25 stmt, is it possible my TA is off by a decimal? Makes no difference to me, I would book anyway, have travel insurance and no intent to cancel. Just the risk you take when book a cruise for 2017. JMO

We too have travel insurance,and are not planning to cancel.

I have read of N.American cruisers who book more than one cruise for the same dates knowing that they have the option to cancel, one or both, outside of final payment.

I also said it was $25. i pay a deposit between$2750 and $500 depending on the length of cruise. But if i moved my rez to another cruise it is the same cost. if i cancel a cruise like this week i would lose $25 only. rare i do not move the money to another cruise but it does happen.

I never understood the rules for each country but i just go with the flow.

Good morning Glenndale,

This is a question that comes up periodically. If you do a search in our CC forum you'll find a couple threads on the topic. Here is my response posted on 5Feb15 (and I've posted the thread below, in which you'll see you're not alone in questioning the differences):

"...each country with an independent ACC office is given leeway to market our cruises as befits the local rules and cultural norms. Below is what I received from the UK office re their terms.

"Higher Deposits? In the US, Club Suites require a deposit of $1,100 and club veranda, club oceanview and club interior staterooms a deposit of $550 per person (as noted on the US Azamara website today). In the UK the policy is a flat £250 per person which equates to approximately US$ 375.00. By my calculation the UK deposit requirements are substantially lower so the suggestion that UK guests have to pay higher deposits is not correct.

Non refundable Deposits? The US also does not offer refundable deposits for sailings commencing 1 Jan 2015. That said I concede that the amounts charged in cancellation fees are lower at $25 dollars per person in the US for cancellations up to 121+ days but this increases to 15% between 120-91 days. The UK policy however is a standard non refundable fee of £250 per person (the deposit) for cancellations up to 90 days prior to sailing.

While there are differences between UK and US deposit and cancellation policies, having considered our target audience in the UK, we are aware that UK consumers always prefer to pay a lower non refundable deposit than a much higher deposit amount as required in the US and in structuring our deposit and cancellation policies we, like all markets that promote and sell Azamara Club Cruises, must take into account local rules regulating cancellation charges as well as travel industry custom.

For the UK our cancellation charges must be a reasonable pre-estimate of our losses on cancellation. No doubt our US counterparts have their own legal requirements to comply with which may account for variances in deposit and cancellation policies between US and non US markets."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...llation&page=2

Thanks Bonnie.

Just for clarification are you saying that US guests forfeit their deposits on any cruises booked since 1/1/15 plus $25?

Or do they only lose their deposits if they cancel inside 121 days?

Our US cancellation policy is found at: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/voyage-cancellationsrefunds

Here's the US cancellation charges in a nutshell:

#Days Prior to Departure

Cancellation Charge

121+ days US$25 per person

120-91 days 15% of booked fare

90-61 days 50% of booked fare

60-31 days 75% of booked fare

30 days or less 100% of booked fare

I just booked a 2017 cruise at a great price with BOGHO and $500 OBC from online travel agent. I never would have booked it if there was more than a $25 penalty. I know I can always get $1,100 back less the $50, which I consider a price to lock in the cabin I want and a price which may not go down. The deposit is only a deposit. If I really ever need that money, I'd cancel.

I just booked a 2017 cruise at a great price with BOGHO and $500 OBC from online travel agent. I never would have booked it if there was more than a $25 penalty. I know I can always get $1,100 back less the $50, which I consider a price to lock in the cabin I want and a price which may not go down. The deposit is only a deposit. If I really ever need that money, I'd cancel.

Did you book the Feb 2017 Journey sailing? I booked this deal too :)

We too have travel insurance,and are not planning to cancel.

I have read of N.American cruisers who book more than one cruise for the same dates knowing that they have the option to cancel, one or both, outside of final payment.

This is why I am uncomfortable booking a cruise a long way out.

While when booking a cruise, I never intend to cancel it, life happens........

If the cancellation penalty here was only $25 I would be far more likely to book cruises a year or more in advance

This is why I am uncomfortable booking a cruise a long way out.

While when booking a cruise, I never intend to cancel it, life happens........

If the cancellation penalty here was only $25 I would be far more likely to book cruises a year or more in advance

Me too Hazel. We both know that.....life happens. :(

Our US cancellation policy is found at: https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/you-board/voyage-cancellationsrefunds

#Days Prior to Departure

Cancellation Charge

So basically no loss of deposits for US guests.

I'm sure UK guests would welcome paying a higher deposit and when 'life happens' paying a nominal cancellation fee.

Why can't Azamara give UK guests the same preferenial cancellation terms as those for US guests?

I'm still having a problem reconciling your summary above with the following

Non refundable Deposits? The US also does not offer refundable deposits for sailings commencing 1 Jan 2015. :confused:

Did you book the Feb 2017 Journey sailing? I booked this deal too :)

No, I booked July 2017 14-day Greek Isles and Amalfi Coast. I'm a tax partner and there is no way I can ever take a vacation between January and April 15 :( and this closes me out of some very good itineraries. In ten years, I retire at our max 65 age.

I think price for V2 was around $8,250 for two with BOGHO and got $500 OBC. It's about $275 per day per person, which isn't bad for a midship balcony. My first Azamara cruise is next summer. If I have a good time, I will stick with the 2017 one. If not, we'll book Celebrity or Princess instead and go back to the bigger ships. The really good thing here for US residents is that I feel good about booking knowing that all but $50 is refundable.

I agree with the British folks on this one. A $1,100 (almost) fully refundable deposit is much better than a nonrefundable $750 deposit (assume that is the cost for two). Too much can change in two years to risk $750.

Edited by hubofhockey

So basically no loss of deposits for US guests.

I'm sure UK guests would welcome paying a higher deposit and when 'life happens' paying a nominal cancellation fee.

Why can't Azamara give UK guests the same preferenial cancellation terms as those for US guests?

I'm still having a problem reconciling your summary above with the following

Non refundable Deposits? The US also does not offer refundable deposits for sailings commencing 1 Jan 2015. :confused:

Before January 1, 2015 there was complete refund of deposit if cancellation came before final payment, which at that time was 90 days before departure. Now final payment is 120 days ahead and there is a nominal $25 per person cancellation fee (but the deposit is returned minus this fee) if the cancellation is prior to final payment. Of course if cancellations are within the final 120 days penalties increase substantially. We also tend to book at least a year ahead realizing that we are paying a hefty deposit but at least we get all but $25 pp back if we have to cancel (haven't had to yet, fortunately) prior to final payment. And we definitely get trip insurance.

Hope I've explained this correctly.

Yes, I guessed that it was something like that, thanks :)

Unfortunately, if we cancel a day after handing over our deposit, even if the cruise is 365 days away we still lose our deposit. :mad:

Oh well, flogging a dead horse here, can't see it changing anytime soon :(

If you are doing cruise only then sadly for employment in UK the answer is to book via an American agent as you will only be liable for $25 fee if before 121 days.

Book using Master card or deposit via debit/credit card and you are protected up to full value of cruise not just deposit.

When you do so send email to richard Twynam at Azamara UK and MAYBE things might change for us in UK.

We have a cruise booked for 2017 Maldives and we are keeping fingers crossed.

When booking a cruise I don't intend to cancel but I would much prefer to pay a higher deposit and have a low cancellation fee. I too would consider booking much further out.

I wonder which sector of the UK market Azamara considered, when making their decision, as their target market? Certainly not that many Azamara regulars looking at the responses here.

Edited by Grandma Gilly

Mr Twynam has asked me to reiterate that anyone with specific issues re the UK market is invited to email him directly. He is always available. His email address is rtwynam@azamaraclubcruises.com.

He also points out that as "the UK and the US have differing offers, booking through the U.S. may not be the most efficient approach."

Thanks Bonnie,

I can confirm that Mr Twynam is most receptive when asked to intervene.

He did so most effectively for me when I had an issue with shareholder credit.

Azamara Miami insisted on proof of share ownership within the previous 60 days even though I have held shares for years and used same credit on last 6 cruises although no criteria listed on conditions.

He unfortunately will have no authority on varying Miami set cancellation conditions although a major competitor (Oceania) has American 120 day policies in UK.

It's a bigger issue than just Azamara. There is a non-refundable deposit on both RCI and Celebrity, albeit a smaller amount and nearer to sailing final payment date. It's always been like that since I started cruising in 2002.

I've used a U.S. travel agent in the past with the payment terms that go with it, but because have booked quite a long way in advance and didn't take any steps to protect against exchange rate movement it ended up costing me about the same price. It started out quite a bit cheaper in the US, but the rate fell quite a bit.

I will say that if I've had occasion to cancel a trip I have never had an issue transferring the deposit to another booking.

Phil

It's a bigger issue than just Azamara. There is a non-refundable deposit on both RCI and Celebrity, albeit a smaller amount and nearer to sailing final payment date. It's always been like that since I started cruising in 2002.

I've used a U.S. travel agent in the past with the payment terms that go with it, but because have booked quite a long way in advance and didn't take any steps to protect against exchange rate movement it ended up costing me about the same price. It started out quite a bit cheaper in the US, but the rate fell quite a bit.

I will say that if I've had occasion to cancel a trip I have never had an issue transferring the deposit to another booking.

Phil

Hi Phil,

We lost our deposit when we had to cancel our Azamara cruise last summer. I was very frustrated about it particularly as we sailed with the line about 9 weeks later.

However suspect that wouldn't be the case now. I would send an email to Richard Twynam and am sure he would sort it. He is very customer focused.

We leave for Barcelona later today for a few days before we embark on our HAL cruise. Will let you know what we think when we get back

Hazel

#Days Prior to Departure

Cancellation Charge

I must admit I never realised that there was a $25pp cancellation fee in the USA - I assumed it was the same as RCI/X - if you cancel outside of the final payment date you get your deposit back. So I have learnt something today!:D

I booked for 2017 via my USA TA. I paid a hefty deposit of $550pp but I did get $800 in OBC.

IMHO a far better deal than I would have got in the UK.

But I have now made a note of that 121 date limit!

Not that I want them to increase the fee but it does seem petty to charge such a minimal amount.:rolleyes: It probably costs more to process than they earn!

When booking a cruise I don't intend to cancel but I would much prefer to pay a higher deposit and have a low cancellation fee. I too would consider booking much further out.

Grandma I totally agree! Edited by little britain

Not that I want them to increase the fee but it does seem petty to charge such a minimal amount.:rolleyes: It probably costs more to process than they earn!

I'm guessing the purpose is to deter people from making frivolous reservations to hold attractive staterooms "just in case" they want to take that cruise. If that's so, I'm all for the penalty.

If I were cruise line management seeing inordinate numbers of cancellations as final payment time approached, I'd charge a penalty, too. Those staterooms would then likely have to be sold at "last minute deal" pricing, presumably welll below what they could have been sold for in months preceding.