Room Stragegy for Party of 6

grilljockey

Hello-

First off, thanks for the great answers to my other newbie posts. I am about 90% sure we will be booking a summer 2016 cruise on Journey out of Civataveccia and into Athens. Really excited to make this trip a reality.

Will be travelling with 6 total in our party, myself and my wife, 3 kids (14, 16, 18) and my mother in law. There is a double upgrade special getting us into Club Veranda rooms for like $2,400, and the club suites are listed starting at like $4,500. Space (particularly in the bathrooms) is frankly the only downside that I think the people in my group might have. Not being cruisers (yet), the family is used to normal hotel room space.

I'm a little confused on how the pricing works if we were to triple up in a larger room. I frankly don't think it gets us more overall space per person to move into say two club continental suites versus 3 Veranda club veranda rooms. But, it would add some perks that we otherwise wouldn't get by doing three club veranda rooms. Can anyone help me understand the financial side of this decsioon (3 club veranda's at $2,400 versus 2 club continental's at $4,500)? Not sure how that third person is charged if we triple up.

The other quick question, which I think I probably already know the answer to involves the pre-hotel stays. We will be tagging some other quick stops in Spain and Florence before going to Rome for 1.5 days prior to departure. For ease of luggage and people transfer, it probably makes a ton of sense to book one of the designated hotels through Azamara (which look to be in great spots in Rome for what we want to accomplish there). I assume the pricing through Azamara booking the hotel is comparable to doing it myself, but we get the added perk of the luggage and personal transver to Civitaveccia?

Oh, and one last question....if the ship leaves at 6pm, what time typically might the transfer from the hotel be? We would like to spend the morning sightseeing and were hoping to not have to leave the hotel until 1:00 or so pm.

Many thanks to the great people on this board for your insights!

Hello grill jockey,

We look forward to welcoming you and your family onboard next summer!

Given the type of questions you're asking, I'm going to lob it back over the net and ask what your travel agent is doing?! These are the questions a knowledgable travel professional can, and should, be answering for you...laying out the various options and costs. If you're not using one (yet) I highly recommend you do. S/he ought to be very attentive for you, what with the size of your group and all the components.

That said, I imagine you'll get plenty of feedback on this forum...perhaps even from travel professionals.

B.rgds,

Bonnie

Thanks Bonnie. We do not have a travel agent yet. We were planning to use an agent that we have used before for the Italy portion of our trip prior to the cruise. I was thinking we would just book direct with Azamara, but I will look around locally to see if there is any agency that specializes in cruise itineraries and who works regularly with Azamara. Not sure if there are preferred national agents that people use, or if people are allowed to make recommendations here? I'll do some investigating.

OP,

We have stayed in triple veranda cabins three times, and while this is not an option you appear to be considering, if you choose the triple mini suite, someone will have to sleep in the pull out sofa bed. Probably it will be your teenagers, but these sofa beds are not very comfortable. The regular beds are excellent, in my opinion.

As to pricing, you can do a dummy booking and figure out the price of the triple mini suite. The price for the third person in the cabin varies but it is $1499 or less plus the same taxes and ports fee charges as the other two passengers. You can then add the value of the mini suite perks and decide what better works for you. Perhaps the three verandas, some of which have connecting doors, might give everyone space, a good night's sleep, and additional bathrooms.

As to the Azamara hotel quotes, we have found them very high -- this is for the US. You or your TA can find better deals on your own. There is plenty of information online, including here in Cruise Critic, and in Rick Steves' Mediterranean cruise ports book (which I recommend) on how to get to Civitaveccia, lots of options. If you decide on a private transfer since there are six of you, you can tour Rome until 1 pm, and make it to port with time to spare and missing the early boarding rush.

Have a fantastic trip!

Hi Grilljockey,

Great question. I'm going to presume your pricing is accurate, and go with your numbers. Assuming you can obtain 2 Suites for around $9,000 and 3 Verandas for around $7200 ? Personally, I think its an easy decision ! I'd definitely go with the 2 Suites. The Club Continent Suites are about 50% larger than Verandas, and, there's additional amenities, including complimentary Specialty Dining and a generous internet package - that I feel the $1800 additional is well worth it. Of course, you may wish to consider whether your children will enjoy Specialty Dining. With that said, Aqualina and Prime C are wonderful. If they enjoy finer dining experiences, then I'm sure they will enjoy Azamara's Specialty Dining. Yes, you are giving up 1 bathroom with this scenario... but it's worth noting the bathrooms in the Suites are much larger than in the Veranda cabins.

Here's 2 links to Azamara's website, where you can learn more about Suites, and their amenities :

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/life-onboard/suites

http://browse.azamaraclubcruises.com/dc/plancruise/ships/cabinclass/cabintype/home.do?br=Z&cabinType=SS&cabincls=D&shipCode=JR

I'm unable to comment on your hotel and port questions, as I've never sailed there - hopefully someday ! But, I'm confident that our members will share their insights.

Wish I could help you on Travel Agents, but Cruise Critic does not allow us to discuss them. One word of advice - Google is your friend :)

I hope this is helpful. Assuming you finalize this, You are in for a fantastic cruise experience. If you have additional questions, feel free to post on this thread, or email me.

Please let us know which option you choose, and have a wonderful Cruise !

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks Bonnie. We do not have a travel agent yet. We were planning to use an agent that we have used before for the Italy portion of our trip prior to the cruise. I was thinking we would just book direct with Azamara, but I will look around locally to see if there is any agency that specializes in cruise itineraries and who works regularly with Azamara. Not sure if there are preferred national agents that people use, or if people are allowed to make recommendations here? I'll do some investigating.

Hi grilljockey,

As others have stated, we cannot make TA recommendations but, there are TA's out there who actually rebate 10% and sometimes more of the commissionable cruise fare plus in some cases they also provide OBC and other perks. This would about half the difference in cost for the 2 suites.

And yes, google is your friend and sometimes the answer is right in front of you. TA's are worth their weight in gold sometimes vs. dealing direct with a cruise line and the right one can be financially beneficial as well.

Good luck and happy cruising,

Thanks all for the thoughts here. Finding an agent is on the list of things to do for Monday. I was just assuming booking direct might provide the lowest prices and certain assurances that an outside agent might not provide.

And Dididi, when you say 'triple Veranda cabin', is that just a standard veranda cabin that you are adding a third to, or is that some larger than normal veranda cabin option...something below the Club Continental? With just two guys and 4 gals...thinking two small bathrooms might end up in someone being tossed overboard.

I did reach out to Azamara directly yesterday and got some quotes. So assuming no other specials come around for the Club level cabins, they actually quoted 2 Club Continent cabins with triple occupancy at $6K USD higher than three veranda cabins. So...that's a deal breaker for me. We don't drink much, the kids will probably enjoy the buffet just fine, and I have no desire or need for a butler. Now...watch my internet bill be $6,100 at the end of the trip.... :D

Thanks all for the thoughts here. Finding an agent is on the list of things to do for Monday. I was just assuming booking direct might provide the lowest prices and certain assurances that an outside agent might not provide.

And Dididi, when you say 'triple Veranda cabin', is that just a standard veranda cabin that you are adding a third to, or is that some larger than normal veranda cabin option...something below the Club Continental? With just two guys and 4 gals...thinking two small bathrooms might end up in someone being tossed overboard.

I did reach out to Azamara directly yesterday and got some quotes. So assuming no other specials come around for the Club level cabins, they actually quoted 2 Club Continent cabins with triple occupancy at $6K USD higher than three veranda cabins. So...that's a deal breaker for me. We don't drink much, the kids will probably enjoy the buffet just fine, and I have no desire or need for a butler. Now...watch my internet bill be $6,100 at the end of the trip.... :D

You won't need to eat in the buffet if you go for verandah staterooms. The food in the main dining room is brilliant. It's anytime dining and you can ask for a table the right size for your party or opt to share an even bigger table.

Travel agents are the way to go; all TA's get the same pricing with the cruise line and are going to be in your corner should you need help with any problems that arise. Find someone you're comfortable that doesn't charge you any additional to talk to and help you

Hi OP,

What I meant with triple veranda is a regular veranda cabin that has room for three because it has a pullout sofa in adfition to the two regular beds. Same size as other veranda cabins. I brought up the triple bc if you choose two suites instead of three verandas, two of your teens will sleep in the suites' sofabeds.

As others have stated, a good TA can discuss cabin options and most probably give you a bit of on board credit money.

Edited by Dididi
correct a vowel

6 K more! I love them and love the closet space- more drawer space. love having a butler bring me breakfast and dinner. one idea even with 3 bathrooms is: you can go to the gym and use the great larger showers there and shave for dinner there. you can use the steam room too. the ladies also have 2 showers and steam.. to warm to do make up but this would free up the bathroom more for all of you.

I'd say three verandas is the way to go especially for $6,000 less. The three bathrooms are a big plus, but the main advantage would be all of your party will be able to sleep on a proper bed rather than two of them having to sleep on a sofa bed.

There won't be anything second rate if you don't have a suite and Journey will have its new suit on then too.

Phil

6 K more! I love them and love the closet space- more drawer space. love having a butler bring me breakfast and dinner. one idea even with 3 bathrooms is: you can go to the gym and use the great larger showers there and shave for dinner there. you can use the steam room too. the ladies also have 2 showers and steam.. to warm to do make up but this would free up the bathroom more for all of you.

No way would I go for the two suites sorry. Butlers are only of the added value if you are higher maintenance

I'd go for three balconies and three bathrooms!

No way would I go for the two suites sorry. Butlers are only of the added value if you are higher maintenance

I'd go for three balconies and three bathrooms!

Ann, that is why i suggested the spa showers.. i use them once in a while and even bring my hair products.. also not the maintenance i prefer Prime C to eat.i do eat and drink in cabin a lot.

Please....let's bury this thread deep so that my wife does not see the comment about the spa showers. If she does, game over for me and my son. We'll be banished to the spa every mornign I fear....and I plan to stay as far away from the workout facility as possible on this trip!:)

No, seriously, thanks for all of the great advice here. Will be finding an agent, and unless pricing changes, will very likely go with the three veranda cabins. Its a good deal on the double upgrade, and this way everyone gets a bed and minimized bathroom issues (4 women, 3 bathrooms...and a displaced father and son in the spa....)

Club Continent rooms would have been fun, but since we are tagging stops in Spain, Florence and Rome along on this trip, she's adding up fast!:eek:

Can't wait to surprise my mother-in-law with this trip. She has dreamed of visiting Europe for years but a complicated life has just never really allowed it. She deserves it and we are going to show her a great time!

Please....let's bury this thread deep so that my wife does not see the comment about the spa showers. If she does, game over for me and my son. We'll be banished to the spa every mornign I fear....and I plan to stay as far away from the workout facility as possible on this trip!:)

No, seriously, thanks for all of the great advice here. Will be finding an agent, and unless pricing changes, will very likely go with the three veranda cabins. Its a good deal on the double upgrade, and this way everyone gets a bed and minimized bathroom issues (4 women, 3 bathrooms...and a displaced father and son in the spa....)

Club Continent rooms would have been fun, but since we are tagging stops in Spain, Florence and Rome along on this trip, she's adding up fast!:eek:

Can't wait to surprise my mother-in-law with this trip. She has dreamed of visiting Europe for years but a complicated life has just never really allowed it. She deserves it and we are going to show her a great time!

Enjoy, you will LOVE Azamara and they will most definitely make your mother-in-law feel special!!!