A new ship for Fred? A 'trimaran'!

Today I had a long online survey from Fred Olsen to see if we would be interested in cruising on a super-fast trimaran cruise ship. This would mean more ports of call and fewer sea days, for example when going transatlantic to the Caribbean or Eastern Canada. Judging by this survey, such a plan is obviously under consideration. They gave many examples of sample itineraries which could be achieved using this ship, together with a picture of it. I thought it was an excellent idea, especially for those who have not yet retired and can only take two weeks max as holiday at a time.

Anybody else get this?

• 2 weeks later...

That is surprising! I thought the ability to cross the Atlantic with only two sea days was a brilliant idea. I like sea days, but so many all together does not appeal. Also when you are still at work, you cannot spare the time for three or four week holidays, so have to fly to do the Caribbean or Canada. Not to mention that a two week holiday is cheaper than a four week one. What were your reasons?

That is surprising! I thought the ability to cross the Atlantic with only two sea days was a brilliant idea. I like sea days, but so many all together does not appeal. Also when you are still at work, you cannot spare the time for three or four week holidays, so have to fly to do the Caribbean or Canada. Not to mention that a two week holiday is cheaper than a four week one. What were your reasons?

I'm surprised it's even possible in that time scale!!

Definitely not something I would consider. Sea days are an important part of the cruise experience.

wft

I'm surprised it's even possible in that time scale!!

Definitely not something I would consider. Sea days are an important part of the cruise experience.

wft

Well I enjoy sea days too, but five on the trot one way and five back are a bit much for me! Two each way sounds much better!

Can anyone give me a link to this survey?

Thanks

wft

I don't think so. It is not a website. I think you had to be sent the email to participate. Presumably they picked a random sample of previous Fred cruisers.

My reasons... I like sea days best of all and, being retired, am not in a hurry to get anywhere. Prefer longer cruises these days, 3 or 4 weeks would be my ideal. The days at sea bring interesting things to do - I attend art classes, join shuffleboard groups, attend lectures, watch a movie. We're just back from a 7 night transatlantic crossing on Queen Mary 2, which was just idyllic - NO ports at all in between NY and Southampton!

It wasn't immediately obvious which company was doing the survey when you started answering questions, was it? I was quite surprised when Fred's name popped up towards the end of the questioning! It seemed more like the sort of service that a new cruise line might have been considering.

Yes, I was surprised when it turned out to be Fred Olsen. You don't really associate them with ground-breaking, innovative ideas! Possibly they are hoping to attract a slightly younger age group, after all their current clientele won't go on for ever! And as I said, shorter cruises appeal to those not yet retired.

But it sounds like even you did not sail both ways transatlantic? Many people prefer to avoid flying.

It wasn't immediately obvious which company was doing the survey when you started answering questions, was it? I was quite surprised when Fred's name popped up towards the end of the questioning! It seemed more like the sort of service that a new cruise line might have been considering.

It isn't that much of a surprise really as the Fred Olsen Group have been operating trimarans for some time now in their ferry division.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSC_Benchijigua_Express

This would be a very different proposition, but it is a type of ship that they already understand very well.

Interesting, so it might not have been a survey initiated by Fred?

The more I think about this I wonder....is it a wind-up??? Genuine question and no offence intended to the OP.

Is such a crossing feasible? A very rough calculation says the average speed would have to be around 40 knots??????????, but I'm no expert.

wft

The more I think about this I wonder....is it a wind-up??? Genuine question and no offence intended to the OP.

Is such a crossing feasible? A very rough calculation says the average speed would have to be around 40 knots??????????, but I'm no expert.

wft

I did actually wonder that too wft!

• 2 weeks later...

But it sounds like even you did not sail both ways transatlantic? Many people prefer to avoid flying.

Hi marylizcat

Yes, the Queen Mary crossing was just one way - but we've also done a transatlantic to Canada from Southampton, which was also bliss!

Agree, some people don't much like flying - in fact, I'm one of them really, just hate all the hanging around at airports. But I also loathe the long journey from North western England to Southampton. My ideal cruise would be a LONG one (!!!) from Liverpool - to anywhere, with lots of sea days.

But we're all different, and isn't that what makes life and living just wonderful! :-)

wft

Have to say, I did wonder that too.

I enjoy sea days, but prefer no more than four or five scattered through a 14 night cruise, mostly to recover from tiring port days. Also, I suspect Fred is seeking to attract younger customers. Their traditional very elderly ones have the time for longer cruises and are less likely to be receptive to innovation as well. I don't think it was a spoof survey. It was much too long and detailed for anybody to bother, plus they clearly had access to email addresses of previous Fred cruisers.