Missing items from cabin?

ombrelle

A friend of mine, ( loveable but a bit of a scatterbrain ) insists that on a Costa cruise, last year, gifts she had bought for her grand-children, went missing from her cabin.

Anyone else experienced similar accidents ?

Should we keep our I Pad in the safe at all times?

Thank You

The steward never knows if anything left out is a deliberate test by the company. I have NEVER had a problem with anything going missing, and as you may gather from the closet space thread, I'm not a paragon of neatness. Far, far more trustworthy than a hotel on land.

A friend of mine, ( loveable but a bit of a scatterbrain ) insists that on a Costa cruise, last year, gifts she had bought for her grand-children, went missing from her cabin.

Anyone else experienced similar accidents ?

Should we keep our I Pad in the safe at all times?

Thank You

Can you please be more explicit as to what exactly went missing "bought for her grand-children"?

Toys taken?

Was the "missing items"eported while they were still on the cruise?

You ask "Should we keep our I Pad in the safe at all times?" - in that case there is no need to take it.

Ron

Ron

Can you please be more explicit as to what exactly went missing "bought for her grand-children"?

Toys taken?

Was the "missing items"eported while they were still on the cruise?

You ask "Should we keep our I Pad in the safe at all times?" - in that case there is no need to take it.

Ron

Ron

Ron, as initially I mentioned, my friend is a little of a scatterbrain,she went on shore one day and bought gifts for grandchildren, toys, little dresses etc. Had them all in one bag, and the bag disappeared. Yes, she reported it but nothing came of it. I personally, always thought that she must have left it somewhere and forgot but she insists,so I had to ask the question here on C.C.

Ron, about the I Pad, I meant when we go on tours, not to have it in the safe at all times!L.O.L.:rolleyes:

The steward never knows if anything left out is a deliberate test by the company. I have NEVER had a problem with anything going missing, and as you may gather from the closet space thread, I'm not a paragon of neatness. Far, far more trustworthy than a hotel on land.

Bob, I always felt this way too, but we will be sailing for the first time on Costa and because of this friend's experience, I just had to ask.

I am glad that no one had any negative experiences.::):)

Ron, as initially I mentioned, my friend is a little of a scatterbrain,she went on shore one day and bought gifts for grandchildren, toys, little dresses etc. Had them all in one bag, and the bag disappeared. Yes, she reported it but nothing came of it. I personally, always thought that she must have left it somewhere and forgot but she insists,so I had to ask the question here on C.C.

Ron, about the I Pad, I meant when we go on tours, not to have it in the safe at all times!L.O.L.:rolleyes:

Things do go missing on a ship, mislaid or forgotten item (e.g. camera on a deck chair) and they are not handed, but lots of such items are handed in by both passengers and crew.

When not in the cabin (ashore, MDR etc.), make it a routine to lock up your valuables and remove any such temptation.

With regards to your friend's missing items (in one bag) there were probably manufactured in the crews home country and they could buy them at a fraction of the cost of what your friend paid. The crews quarters are cramped to say the least, the days where cruise passengers gave the natives (crew) glass beads (pens, prepaid phone cards, postcards or hand knitted scarves) as a tip have long gone, the crew like everyone else likes to have cash and save on cabin space. Crew jobs are sort after and I cannot see a crew member risking his and his entire family's future for a bag lost cost items.

I think your friend mislaid the bag, she should have kept her Eye-Pads in the safe.

Ron

Things do go missing on a ship, mislaid or forgotten item (e.g. camera on a deck chair) and they are not handed, but lots of such items are handed in by both passengers and crew.

When not in the cabin (ashore, MDR etc.), make it a routine to lock up your valuables and remove any such temptation.

With regards to your friend's missing items (in one bag) there were probably manufactured in the crews home country and they could buy them at a fraction of the cost of what your friend paid. The crews quarters are cramped to say the least, the days where cruise passengers gave the natives (crew) glass beads (pens, prepaid phone cards, postcards or hand knitted scarves) as a tip have long gone, the crew like everyone else likes to have cash and save on cabin space. Crew jobs are sort after and I cannot see a crew member risking his and his entire family's future for a bag lost cost items.

I think your friend mislaid the bag, she should have kept her Eye-Pads in the safe.

Ron

I think so too, but won't tell her, she's a good friend.:)

Sailed three times with Costa and never had anything go missing in my cabin. I locked away valuable when not using them, but left things bought onboard and ashore lying around and none went missing.

One day however, I took my purse out of the safe and switched the currency from dirhams to reals and instead of putting it in my bag, stupidly left it (and credit cards) lying on the bed when I went ashore. Came back to my room all made and my purse lying on the bed complete with it's entire contents.

Sailed three times with Costa and never had anything go missing in my cabin. I locked away valuable when not using them, but left things bought onboard and ashore lying around and none went missing.

One day however, I took my purse out of the safe and switched the currency from dirhams to reals and instead of putting it in my bag, stupidly left it (and credit cards) lying on the bed when I went ashore. Came back to my room all made and my purse lying on the bed complete with it's entire contents.

Good to hear. My good friend must have left that bag somewhere on shore! I prefer to believe that.;)

Because our laptop does not fit in the safe, we always have to leave it in the room. Nothing has ever happened to it. In fact, we have had a few moments like AmoMondo on several cruises.

We own a hotel ourselves, and sometimes guests claim that something is stolen. People are very quick to accuse others, in my experience 100% of the time it was just mislaid, the item slipped under the bed, the spouse took the money from the wallet to settle the bill, etc. We find lost items in the most ridiculous places (laptop on the toilet seat :rolleyes:, guests claiming "no, no, it cannot be in the bathroom" :D)

We actually used a plastic bag to put wrappings in, plastic bags that tops came in , the labels off the tops, receipts for the things we'd bought etc, the usual "rubbish" associated with buying and unpacking your purchases. We forgot to put the bag in the rubbish bin - and sure enough - our cabin had been tidied, and the "rubbish" bag was put back on the bed. We took it to mean - if it wasn't in the bin - it wasn't to be thrown out. :p Never had an issue leaving things out.

We actually used a plastic bag to put wrappings in, plastic bags that tops came in , the labels off the tops, receipts for the things we'd bought etc, the usual "rubbish" associated with buying and unpacking your purchases. We forgot to put the bag in the rubbish bin - and sure enough - our cabin had been tidied, and the "rubbish" bag was put back on the bed. We took it to mean - if it wasn't in the bin - it wasn't to be thrown out. :p Never had an issue leaving things out.

Liz, your meaage gave me an idea, I'll have to ask Costa if they have a bin big enough for dear MIL.

MIL is a dear old sole. **

Ron

** I have the right sole (not soul) when she walks over me in her jack boots.

Archived