No Hair Straightners- Really?

Meggysmum

Sailing with Royal Caribbean this weekend and just noticed that it states no Straightners.

Have people actually been stopped taking them aboard. I have always used them before and I am very careful and have a heat proof mat.

I will be hiding in my cabin for 2 weeks if this is really the case:eek:

Sailing with Royal Caribbean this weekend and just noticed that it states no Straightners.

Have people actually been stopped taking them aboard. I have always used them before and I am very careful and have a heat proof mat.

I will be hiding in my cabin for 2 weeks if this is really the case:eek:

No that's wrong you can take them on board :)

We always take two in case one would break.

Also use it for touch up on seams on sleeves and pants, since irons are not permitted.

Sea Ya

What a great idea! Never thought of that- thanks!

Took mine recently and nothing was said, they were left out too.

Well, the OP is correct with regard to RCCL's online pages:

"For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed on board: Electrical transformers, hair straighteners, coffee makers, candles, irons, illegal drugs, flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks. For a full list of items please..."

So, while it seems that every has been getting away with it on RCCL, there could be the possibility, albeit slim, that it could be taken away for the duration of the trip and returned at the end...

Well, the OP is correct with regard to RCCL's online pages:

"For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed on board: Electrical transformers, hair straighteners, coffee makers, candles, irons, illegal drugs, flammable liquids and explosives, such as fireworks. For a full list of items please..."

So, while it seems that every has been getting away with it on RCCL, there could be the possibility, albeit slim, that it could be taken away for the duration of the trip and returned at the end...

Unfortunately, that is what RCCL has posted.

LuLu

~~~~

Check with RCCL to find out what's their definition of hair straightener. It may not be flat irons or curling irons but the old fashion type you put on heat.

I never had a problem with mine.

We always take two in case one would break.

Also use it for touch up on seams on sleeves and pants, since irons are not permitted.

Sea Ya

I never would have thought of that.

Note that on the North American RCI website, hair straighteners are not mentioned anywhere:

"What Not To Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The United States Transportation Security Administration also recommends that you do not pack fragile or expensive items (such as jewelry) in checked luggage.

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • **Alcoholic and Non-Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

** Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned."

OK. You all had me thinking I was in a bad hallucination when I said I saw this on the website and pasted what I found. Here is the pointer to the page that I found the offending "no hair straighteners" rule:

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/why-cruise/before-your-cruise/what-to-pack/

So, Brits are getting the short end of the stick and not being told the same as the Yanks?????

I'm not very up to date on electricity and currents, but could it be that hair straighteners used in the UK use a different voltage that American ones use? And could there be a problem with the voltage needed for it?

I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in here.

OK. You all had me thinking I was in a bad hallucination when I said I saw this on the website and pasted what I found. Here is the pointer to the page that I found the offending "no hair straighteners" rule:

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/why-cruise/before-your-cruise/what-to-pack/

So, Brits are getting the short end of the stick and not being told the same as the Yanks?????

Maybe I should just put on my best American accent?;)

Some straightners are a bit useless with the american voltage but I know mine are fine so I will be taking them and hoping for the best!

I will report back after my trip.

We got called to the naughty room on our last cruise....they thought we had an iron, but it was really just a steamer, which is totally acceptable for RCI! We asked the guy if it was my DD's straightener that was the problem and he laughed and said, " Do you think RCI would actually be dumb enough to take away 2000 women's flat irons in the middle of the humid Caribbean?"

But the UK website very clearly refers to straighteners....hmmmmm...

Archived