Alaskan King Crab Legs on Princess ???

GrandCanyon2005

We were just in Alaska and there were no Alaskan King Crab Legs. But boy did we buy and eat our share in different restaurants in Alaska (expensive, but so good!).

There was a seafood buffet by the pool for lunch and we decided to go check it out. Unfortunately, there was a bad seafood smell that hit us as we approached and it totally turned us off. We saw salmon that was grey with some sort of pudding looking topping. The salmon was probably poached with a topping. We also saw lots of sushi. Personally, I don't think sushi when I see Alaskan Seafood Buffet advertised in the patter. But the day they served reindeer chili, it was good! I'm still going through all my pictures, but I'll have a full review about Sapphire Princess starting hopefully this weekend.

Hi,

I Watson the Sea for 10 days to Alaska and those menus can have more items than a 7 day. We did not see ant type of crab legs, very sad.

I have Crab legs after about 10 drinks, I seem to walk sideways quite a bit then.:D

We were just in Alaska and there were no Alaskan King Crab Legs. But boy did we buy and eat our share in different restaurants in Alaska (expensive, but so good!).

The legs are more expensive in AK than in WA- I bet they are shipped up from WA.

The AK food offerings on the Star two weeks ago were surprisingly bad. Wife said salmon was inedible, it looked farm raised too, there was some appetizer that had crab and other things (roe?) spam'ed up, orange roughy was mushy, halibut was good.

My advice- before boarding, go to the fish market at the Pike Market (the place famous for throwing fish) and get a cup of dungeness crab cocktail ( I think it was $12).

The legs are more expensive in AK than in WA- I bet they are shipped up from WA.

The AK food offerings on the Star two weeks ago were surprisingly bad. Wife said salmon was inedible, it looked farm raised too, there was some appetizer that had crab and other things (roe?) spam'ed up, orange roughy was mushy, halibut was good.

My advice- before boarding, go to the fish market at the Pike Market (the place famous for throwing fish) and get a cup of dungeness crab cocktail ( I think it was $12).

Actually, we asked about them being shipped from the lower 48 and they said no. But I don't know if it was truth or not. But usually crab legs are cooked then frozen and then thawed and reheated. So if they are shipped around it shouldn't make a difference... I say shouldn't but disagree with that. When we buy frozen king crab on the east coast there are mushy parts. This was not the case in Alaska.

Either way, most were great, there was only one place I would not recommend and it was in Ketchikan. I'll be posting a full review within a week.

Alas, I'm a fish and seafood lover and was hoping that the food would be more indigenous. I was dreaming of salmon, halibut, cod and seafood like crab, scallops, clams perhaps a nice French meal starting with escargot for a change... This is our first Princess cruise and the menus aren't really speaking to me, but I'm sure like any cruise I'll 'find food' no problem.

LOL, I had to laugh when I saw this topic, it is almost like - Customer, 'Waiter, do you have frog legs?' waiter's reply "No, I always walk like this.':D

I remember it as "waiter do you have frogs legs"and after an an affirmative response the next line was"please hop out to the kitchen and get me a steak"!

Actually, we asked about them being shipped from the lower 48 and they said no. But I don't know if it was truth or not. But usually crab legs are cooked then frozen and then thawed and reheated. So if they are shipped around it shouldn't make a difference... I say shouldn't but disagree with that. When we buy frozen king crab on the east coast there are mushy parts. This was not the case in Alaska.

Either way, most were great, there was only one place I would not recommend and it was in Ketchikan. I'll be posting a full review within a week.

Our tour guide told us that fish used in the fish and chips was shipped in.When I was in college, I had a neighbor who was a crab potter and would come home with live crabs, tossed them straight into the pot, that's the way to eat them!

I can't say I would miss the King crab legs, the King crab season is very short so what you get in the spring and summer is a frozen product and crab never freezes well. I also find King crab salty and it is difficult to eat in a dining room setting.

Given the choice between King crab and Dungeness crab I will pick Dungeness every time.

I can't say I would miss the King crab legs, the King crab season is very short so what you get in the spring and summer is a frozen product and crab never freezes well. I also find King crab salty and it is difficult to eat in a dining room setting.

Given the choice between King crab and Dungeness crab I will pick Dungeness every time.

We're from the S.F. Bay Area, and Dungeness Crab is part of what makes Winter great! We've tried King Crab recently & have decided NO on that. Salty & nowhere near the flavor of Dungeness. Crab will no longer be a must have on our cruise, since Dungeness is a regular part of our Winter menu. We'll be on the hunt for other Alaskan fare now.

Alas, I'm a fish and seafood lover and was hoping that the food would be more indigenous. I was dreaming of salmon, halibut, cod and seafood like crab, scallops, clams perhaps a nice French meal starting with escargot for a change... This is our first Princess cruise and the menus aren't really speaking to me, but I'm sure like any cruise I'll 'find food' no problem.

For everyone posting about food, this will be our second Alaskan cruise, you can get the escargot on any cruise I believe, you have to ask for them, I think the same is for the crab legs, will have to try

For everyone posting about food, this will be our second Alaskan cruise, you can get the escargot on any cruise I believe, you have to ask for them, I think the same is for the crab legs, will have to try

Apparently escargot is disappearing (due to the high cost this year/shortage?) and no Alaskan King Crab Legs were to be had on on my 2 weeks in Alaska this year. They no longer provide it.

Our ship still had some escargot available but others reported they were out and no longer ordering it until the shortage/cost goes down. I don't eat escargot and don't remember the exact specifics but it is disappearing from many ships right now.

Apparently escargot is disappearing (due to the high cost this year/shortage?) and no Alaskan King Crab Legs were to be had on on my 2 weeks in Alaska this year. They no longer provide it.

Our ship still had some escargot available but others reported they were out and no longer ordering it until the shortage/cost goes down. I don't eat escargot and don't remember the exact specifics but it is disappearing from many ships right now.

I would imagine the shortage is happening at a snail's pace.:D

I can tell you where to get probably the best King Crab you have ever eaten.

It is at Tracy's King Crab Shack just behind the library in Juneau and it is very close to the pier area.

http://www.kingcrabshack.com/

I can safely promise you that if you like King Crab you will not be disappointed.

Mike:)

Cool, I will have to look them up and try it when I am there in October.:D

Archived