Alton Ha Mayan Site & River Wallace OR Lamanai & New River Safari

Luv my furbaby

I took the Altun Ha with River trip in the spring. I was on Celebrity, but I am sure they use the same vendor. I had the same consternation over which one, as it was my first time to Belize, and I did want a bit of time to check out the port shopping ares.

It was one of the best tips I have taken in 20 plus years of cruising, plus, seeing / climbing one of the significant ruins has been on my life list for a long time.

We boarded a giant (air conditioned) tour bus for the hour or so drive to Altun Ha. The trip out was narrated by some local ladies, giving us history, sights, and other info.

Closer to the ruin, a man took over, and he was wonderful, turns out he was on a committee, or work crew, or something (cannot remember), closely involved in the excavation of the place. Plus, he was Mayan, so very knowledgeable .

We got there, his information continued, and we toured the "city", including an opportunity to go to the top of the temple. I found it so interesting when he described how they lived, and the fact that to this day, no one can say what happened to the group.

On the return, we stopped at the river, lunch was available (nothing spectacular, approx $10), then we boarded boats to ride back to the port. Saw monkeys (two separate families) , iguanas, alligators, birds, bats, sloths, and even a dolphin who followed our boat for a while.

They dropped us right back at the pier area, and yes, I had an hour or so to poke around the shops before taking the tender back to the ship.

It was great fun, highly recommended.

It is hot, so take a hat, water, and bug spray (just in case, we had no issues, the day we were there). And a camera, of course.

When we were at the river point, there was another tour group, doing the trip in reverse. If you have an option, do see the ruin first, then take the boat back. It was so refreshing after the heat and humidity.

Don't let "bugs", "climb", or "humidity" scare you off - I am north of 50 YO and not much into fitness, but I made it just fine. Just know that you will come back hot, sticky and tired. A great day.

Altan Ha

We did Altan Ha and the Wallace River a few years ago and I agree with everything the other writer wrote about it. We did it through the ship. I'm glad they mentioned that the trip could be done in reverse. We did the ruins first too and then the river and I am glad we did but I don't know if they give you a choice. The River Wallace was very relaxing and when we arrived at the mouth of the river there is a spot there in the ocean that is protected because there are manatees. Manatees are found in only three places in the world (at least that's what we were told): Belize, Florida and Australia.

If you like Coke try a bottle in Belize, made with cane sugar.

I haven't been on the other tour but really enjoyed the slide show. Will be in Belize next Feb. so this might be the tour to do.

Since these tours are so long and you are travelling quite a distance I would really recommend booking it through the ship just in case something happens that you aren't back in time.

Altan Ha

I haven't been on the other tour but really enjoyed the slide show. Will be in Belize next Feb. so this might be the tour to do. Since these tours are so long and you are travelling quite a distance I would really recommend booking it through the ship just in case something happens that you aren't back in time.

Thanks for taking the time to view the slide show. I'm glad you enjoyed it. You will have a great time if you are able to take this excursion. Happy cruising!

Thanks for the replies. Both tours sound great, so still don't know which one to do. Oh decisions, decisions!!!!

Look at it this way . . . it will give you the opportunity to cruise again to see the one you don't choose this time! :D

Have a wonderful cruise!