Royal Caribbean tours Vs private tours

rissole_1986

Hey everyone,

Heading over to the US from Australia in March/April for mine and my soon to be wife's honeymoon and doing the Allure in April to the western Caribbean stopping at Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel. We are looking at doing tours in Falmouth and Cozumel and and just seeing what people on here have done previously...whether they booked through RCCL or just organised a tour on the land when they got there and what they thought of the tours.

Thanks

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hey everyone,

Heading over to the US from Australia in March/April for mine and my soon to be wife's honeymoon and doing the Allure in April to the western Caribbean stopping at Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel. We are looking at doing tours in Falmouth and Cozumel and and just seeing what people on here have done previously...whether they booked through RCCL or just organised a tour on the land when they got there and what they thought of the tours.

Thanks

Have a look at my recent live blog. I did private tours in Jamaica and Cozumel.

Before Ii cab make recommendations, what are you looking to do (generally) on the cruise? Culture / History, Waterfalls, beaches? Are you prepared to go to the tourist traps or do you want something special and unique?

We are doing Hawaii before the cruise and with Labadee we are looking at something other than the general stopping at a beach for a few hours then back on the boat. We are looking at cultural/history type tour for Falmouth and sorta open to whatever for Cozumel. My fiancée is quite keen to do a tour to Cancun when we stop in Cozumel but I think most of the tour will be travel??

We have done both private tours and ship sponsored tours. I like private tours better for all the reason stated above, I have taken them in other ports but not in Labadee and Falmouth. We have been to Cozumel so many times we now take a cab to a beach to snorkel.

Please allow plenty of time to get back to the port. The ship will not wait for individuals who do not make it back to the ship on time. Anything can happen, that is out of your control, to delay your return to the ship (car breakdown, traffic accident, road closures etc.). I have never personally heard of a ship sponsored tour leaving a bunch of guest behind but I have heard about a couple of guest who went out on their own and didn't get back to the ship in time and the ship left without them.

Another thing to consider is your safety while in port - if you decide to go out on your own do your research ahead of time. Anyone can show up and claim they are a tour operator. Read the Port of Call section on this website for suggestions.

Take your passports with you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Private tours are so much better, not so many people and cost less. Do some research on cruise critic and sites like trip advisor and you will have a much better excursion.

My experience as well, but to the OP, I would say you are in the right place. There are probably bad private tours out there in some of these locations, but the private tours I have done have all been highly recommended here. That may not be a guarantee, but it has worked so far for me.

We have done the Tulum tour from Cozumel and it was impressive but about 5 hours travel for two hours Slsightseeing. Because of the possible issues with the travelling I would do a ship's tour for this. We have also done San Gervaisio Mayan ruins on Cozumel twice by ourselves by getting a taxi outside the gates. Not quite as extensive as Tulum, but still very interesting and left the afternoon for beach, shopping, snorkeling, whatever.

Before I had to unexpectedly cancel my NCL cruise to Cozumel, I had researched and planned to take the SHIP tour to the Secret River. Google that and see what an amazing tour that would be.

Although I almost always do private tours, I decided it was too risky for one this long. I would want to be under the ship's care if cutting the time this close.

I still want to do this someday. Don't know if Royal Caribbean offers it.

Happy sails.:)

Kathy

Regarding Jamaica, get in touch with Ricardo Riley from Liberty Tours Jamaica. Visit Ocho Rios and visit the Enchanted Gardens and the Secret Falls (See http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1911250&page=4 and http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1911250&page=5). Also, Ricardo will take you on a historic cultural tour of Ocho Rios. If time permits, ask Ricardo to take you to the Fire Water (It's one of the locations that I didn't get to see on this trip, but I heard good things about it).

If that does not float your boat, go to Montego Bay (aka MoBay).

Hire a taxi and go to some historic sightseeing tour for a few hours. If you are interested in photography, or want to improve your photography, you may be interested in doing the Cozumel Photo Tour (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g150809-d1765404-Reviews-Cozumel_Photo_Tour-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html).

Regarding Haiti, this is a more difficult one. There is a Historic Walking Tour, but to be honest, you can find most, if not all, of the information on the Interthingy. I would do the Coastal Discover Haiti tour. If you like Snorkelling, I would highly recommend it.

I am assuming you will be staying in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise? If you haven't done so already, book the Embassy Suites as a hotel. The service is fantastic (and there's a free cocktail bar). I would suggest, if your budget extends, stay 2 or 3 days beforehand and take an excursion to the Everglades Day Safari (http://www.ecosafari.com/). It is a bit pricey, but it's worth every penny / cent / dime / Oz Dollar, and it is an experience you will (or at least should) say wow).

If you are not joining your Roll Call for a pre-cruise dinner, try Bravo's Ristorante, which is near Rennaisance (sp?) hotel. But do ask the Concierge. The food is good, if you like Italian food.

Either way, enjoy your cruise, and have fun. And yes, a private tour will give your more for your dollar than going with a ships excursion.

I have to disagree with the majority of the people posting. We are going on our 19th & 20th cruises the majority of which are with RCCL, and we've always chosen a ship's sponsored tour. Yes, they are slightly higher in price, but, (maybe, it's because of our age) we always felt more comfortable with that type of tour. If something happens during a ship's sponsored tour(accident, breakdown, traffic, etc). The ship will wait for you. Not so with a private tour. You're on your own... Just my opinion.

I have to disagree with the majority of the people posting. We are going on our 19th & 20th cruises the majority of which are with RCCL, and we've always chosen a ship's sponsored tour. Yes, they are slightly higher in price, but, (maybe, it's because of our age) we always felt more comfortable with that type of tour. If something happens during a ship's sponsored tour(accident, breakdown, traffic, etc). The ship will wait for you. Not so with a private tour. You're on your own... Just my opinion.

Whilst it is true that it is safer to go with a cruise sponsored tour in terms of getting back to the ship, I haven't had an issue with getting back to the ship by the deadline via a private tour.

Whilst it is true that it is safer to go with a cruise sponsored tour in terms of getting back to the ship, I haven't had an issue with getting back to the ship by the deadline via a private tour.

You only need the problem once for it to be a vacation killer.:o

In Cozumel, I would recommend visiting Tulum. It's a busy tour, but well worth the effort. Definitely use the ship's tour if you do.

I agree with you and I am 32 and my Dw is in her mid 20's. So its not an age thing trust me. My main worry missing the ship. If we are on a RC sponsered tour and they are ready to leave and know a group is back there they wont leave you.. I wouldnt chance it. Dish out a few extra bucks and play it safe. That is my option.. and no ive never taken a private tour so i cant comment on that

You only need the problem once for it to be a vacation killer.:o

In Cozumel, I would recommend visiting Tulum. It's a busy tour, but well worth the effort. Definitely use the ship's tour if you do.

And all you need is for someone to hijack a Cruise sponsored tour for it to be a vacation killer. Read http://www.gadling.com/2011/01/15/cruise-line-scams-shore-excursions/ regarding what happened in 2009 in the Bahamas and St Kitts. Swings and roundabouts. Whilst the cruise line will guarantee your return, the can't guarantee your safety.

I've only been on 2 ship excursion that I considered worth the extra expense. One was already mentioned and it was from Cozumel to Tulum. The other was an excursion in Alaska.

Most of the time ship excursions are crowded. I don't mean just crowded I mean overbooked with absolutely no room between you and a sweaty stranger. I'm pretty sure people are offended by sweaty arm pits. :p I've been on boats that I know where beyond safety capacity. :eek: I try to avoid boat excursions because I'm already on a ship. I don't really want to get on a smaller boat unless it's going somewhere I really want to see.

They make stops along the way for shopping with vendors they have deals with. Most of the shops in Mexico are just junk. When they kids were little we spent 5 dollars on little trinkets to keep them occupied. I've never even been close to missing the ship with an outside vendor. I avoid the ship excursions if possible.

In the Mediterranean we hired drivers at the port without pre-planning. We had advanced tickets to the museums we wanted to see. If the price was right and they could get us there on time we took the deal. We weren't totally unprepared. We knew ahead of time that we might have to take public transportation but we found great deals at most of the ports.

To the OP, go to the ports of call board and see what interests you over there. There are a lot of great options and only you can decide on what makes the most sense for you.

As for private vs ship sponsored tours, there are a few things to keep in mind.

How far from the ship the tour will take you

How close you are cutting the end of the tour to when the ship is scheduled to leave

How active the tour is, in other words will it be physical with the chance of injury or will you be sitting on a bus

We have done both types of tours and make our decisions on the above. We have used private operators who are highly recommended on these boards as their reputation depends on the reviews you see here and other such places. We have done ship sponsored tours when we were not as comfortable with a specific port or when it was the only option to do what we wanted.

Try the ports of call board, or let us know here what types of tours you would like to do.

My only other piece of advice, if you are going over to the mainland in Mexico, take a ship tour, it is usually a long day with various modes of transportation. Too many chances for things to go wrong in that case, but of course that's my opinion. Take what you read here and make up your mind for your situation.

We are doing Hawaii before the cruise and with Labadee we are looking at something other than the general stopping at a beach for a few hours then back on the boat. We are looking at cultural/history type tour for Falmouth and sorta open to whatever for Cozumel. My fiancée is quite keen to do a tour to Cancun when we stop in Cozumel but I think most of the tour will be travel??

Not really anything cultural in Cozumel. Best thing to do is go to a beach club. We went to Mr. Sanchos last year. About $40 per person and you get all you want to eat and drink all day - includes beach chairs and umbrellas. Really good food including delicious coconut shrimp. Service is great - they actually push the food and drinks on you. Obviously working for tips but very nice people. Or you could stay on the ship and have it almost to yourself - flowrider, rock-climing, chair around the pook, etc. Almost impossible to see/do everything on the Allure in 7 days. We usually stay on ship in Jamaica - been there done that.

One caution about going to Cancun. You have to take a ferry. Friends of mine a few years back hit a storm on ferry. So bad they thought boat might capsize. I believe ferry turned back once. Luckily they were on ship tour and did not have to worry about missing the ship, but you definitely need to consider this if you do it on your own.

referee, I don't think age has anything to do with this. I'm young and I prefer ship sponsor tours. It's more of a preference or how adventurous you want to be.

For me, I would choose a ship sponsor tour for many reasons. I know they will get me back on time and the ship will wait for me and everyone else on the tour if there is a delay. I would feel safer knowing that I'm being taking care by the cruise line. I know it's a bit more pricey but hey you are on vacation. It's either the comfort or the headache when there is a problem. I honestly don't want to be stranded at a port or a country that I'm not familiar with and the added stress that it would come with it.

I agree with you and I am 32 and my Dw is in her mid 20's. So its not an age thing trust me. My main worry missing the ship. If we are on a RC sponsered tour and they are ready to leave and know a group is back there they wont leave you.

Who told you that they will leave you if not on a RC tour?

cozumel... look up nachi cocum and mr. sanchos. At the port, you exit to grab a taxi, it has set posted rates. Both places have an all inclusive price for food, drinks and all the facilities.. no renting chairs and such. There are several more in cozumel that are similar and just as good. Taxis are plentiful to catch back, or your taxi driver will meet you there for a pick up. Have NEVER, ever been left stranded.

I never pay for ship excursions.. hurded like cattle in buses, pay too much, less time... I could go on. The do not provide any further safety, only they will ensure the ship waits for you. I have never missed the ship in 15 cruises of doing all excursions on my own. Just plan on an hour back with traffic to the ports, I add another 30 for safe measure.

Falmoth... hmn. not my thing. I hate Jamaica.. but because monetgo bay and ochio rios are like an hour away... I'd pay for the ship excursion for this. would not trust a local venue.. but many have had success and wonderful excursions. I'm not that trusting.

Who told you that they will leave you if not on a RC tour?

Actually the ship excursion desk promotes this as does the cruise directors... do you have specific examples in mind? I'd like to know, as I just advised the OP to consider this a factor. I don't want to give incorrect advice:eek:

I have personally seen people running to the ship in Cozumel and have missed it.

Regarding your ports of call only I will give my opinion.

Labadee - you will need to take a ship excursion if you want something other then the beach. This is a wonderful relaxing beach. You can not leave the area however with a ship excursion.

Jamaica - you can use the port of call board and find an independent tour or a ship tour. Just book some kind of a tour. You do not want to get off here and explore on your own. You can of course but you will not feel comfortable if you go beyond the gated area. We have used both private and ship excursions here.

Cozumel - wonderful place with MANY options. We have been here many times and do something different each time. If you choose to go over to the mainland book with the ship. It can be a long day and you do not want to get left behind. You can do many things without going over the mainland too. It is safe to get a taxi here to take you where you want to go. Do not rent a car! Some people do but we have heard too many horror stories and there really is no need since cabs are reasonable. If you want something different swim with the dolphins or take a cooking class.

Again do some research and plan a great day.

Actually the ship excursion desk promotes this as does the cruise directors... do you have specific examples in mind? I'd like to know, as I just advised the OP to consider this a factor. I don't want to give incorrect advice:eek:

I have personally seen people running to the ship in Cozumel and have missed it.

The cruise directors & shore excursion desk are trying to sell excursions and will say just about anything to help the sale.

The cruiselines are not in the business to leave people stranded and will do everything they can to make sure everyone is back on board.

Although it is very rare, it does happen.

But there is no black/white rule that a ship leaves or waits depending on who the excursion is book through.

Archived